Teletext still alive !

Discussion of television and radio technology - professional and domestic.
Clive
625 lines

Teletext still alive !

Post by Clive »

Just reading about how the BBC is planning to re-instate it's red button service and thought I should check ! Here in Sweden the national broadcaster is still providing Teletext service.

I would love to imagine that SVT has a room of ICL mainframes providing this service, but I suspect it is more like a Raspberry PI under someones desk.

But it's interesting that 1974 technology is still alive and well in 2020 !

Do we know of other places still using Teletext ? Even in the digital world ?

John McE
405 lines

Re: Teletext still alive !

Post by John McE »

Although I'm delighted that they have reversed their decision to axe it, I just wish they would employ people who could properly check what is output. The number of stories that are simply a chopped out bit of a larger story, and thus make no sense on their own, the number of "see photo's" that appear in a text only service, the number of items that simply cut off mid sentence, and the number of spelling mistakes are all ridiculous.

There is currently a story in the tennis section that has been up as the lead story for 6 or more weeks, even though in the interim we've had both the American and French Grand Slams. And in both the tennis and the golf sections, they still have a section of world rankings that claims to have been updated that day, but which in fact hasn't been updated in months and months.

What is the point have having several different news sections - UK, World, Science, Technology etc, when stories are repeated numerous times across many different (and frequently irrelevant) sections. These days in reading the various sections I am interested in, it is quite normal to have read the exact same news item multiple times. Either eliminate the different section headings, or else stop repeating stories across them.

I presume people are paid to keep the teletext service going and updated, so why are they allowed to get away with such slapdash work?

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Sometimes you could pick up broken and fragmented pages from the day you recorded your VHS tape.

Don't know if this was improved by using SVHS or the equiv 'super' Betamax system?

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Post by Nick Cooper 625 »

fatcat wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:44 pm
Sometimes you could pick up broken and fragmented pages from the day you recorded your VHS tape.

Don't know if this was improved by using SVHS or the equiv 'super' Betamax system?
Yes, if recorded from an analogue terrestrial signal, any programme will include all the underlying Teletext data. Unfortunately, teh same obviously wasn't this case if you switched over to recording from a digital signal.
"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo." [Wells]

swills
405 lines

Post by swills »

Well, the Red Button 'text' service goes again soon,......time to bring back CEEFAX ! (and ORACLE) if it works fine on digital tv in Europe, and quite quick too....it can work here !

Brian F
D-MAC

Post by Brian F »

I have a feeling I read that the digital TV system used here, though it could have supported it, unfortunately due to the way it has been implemented it now can't.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

John McE wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:29 am

There is currently a story in the tennis section that has been up as the lead story for 6 or more weeks, even though in the interim we've had both the American and French Grand Slams...
You can NAAT be serious!!

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

swills wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:57 pm
Well, the Red Button 'text' service goes again soon,......time to bring back CEEFAX ! (and ORACLE) if it works fine on digital tv in Europe, and quite quick too....it can work here !
The infrastructure on Newcastle's High Level Bridge can still support horse-buses, but this is hardly a reason for bringing them back!

John McE
405 lines

Post by John McE »

The same story on the tennis section has now been up for more than EIGHT weeks, despite making a complaint to the BBC about it two weeks ago :-)

John McE
405 lines

Post by John McE »

And after a mere 9 weeks, they've finally ditched running the exact same story, and found something new! Now perhaps they could turn their attention to the various Dan Evan stories they are running from three different tournaments :-)

Private Frazer
D-MAC

Post by Private Frazer »

still zip through the news in no time with the red button - World, UK, very local, science, entertainment
"Now listen you guys, I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going on out here..."

John McE
405 lines

Post by John McE »

Oh, I agree. It's still my go to for a quick scan of the news, weather, sports results etc.

But I don't understand how cutting costs leads to stories being left up for months, stories endlessly repeated across all the various sections, and a lack of basic spell checking or proof reading.

All they need is to ensure that whoever they employ to keep it updated is competent enough to check these things. After all, nearly all of it is copied from other news sources, so all it needs is people who are good at their job and committed to seeing that their output is up to general BBC standards.

And if they are incapable of putting a story in just one section, I'd suggest they get rid of all the subsections, and post each news item once in just the one section. We might end up glancing at things we have no interest in, but surely it'd be no worse than encountering multiple instances of the exact same story each day?

Private Frazer
D-MAC

Post by Private Frazer »

Clive wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:32 pm
Do we know of other places still using Teletext ? Even in the digital world ?
(Even though I've used the internet to find out) it seems that Teletext continues in many countries. Of course the early teletext making use of the small time between analogue TV picture frame transmission is the one I remember from around 1979 when involved with adding a circuit board to a TV. We were also very impressed with France's innovative systems including a Teletext system using the telephone line (Minitel) and I'm sure one was free and pretty ahead of its time.
"Now listen you guys, I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going on out here..."

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Didn't PRESTEL involve both TV and telephone line?

Brian F
D-MAC

Post by Brian F »

I believe so. I do remember 200 b/sec Datel modems in the early 1970's