Where was Anglia's audience entrance?

Discussion of television and radio technology - professional and domestic.
GarethR
HD

Where was Anglia's audience entrance?

Post by GarethR »

I've just been looking at Anglia House on Street View to see if anything looks vaguely familiar from the handful of occasions when I was in the Kilroy-style audience for their live Friday night discussion show in the early 90s. Since I always arrived in the dark, it turns out that *nothing* looks familiar, but my memory is that we walked off the street into a very 60s foyer that had a very 60s staircase in it, and which led directly into the studio. I don't recall ever seeing the knight statue, so I don't think it was the "proper" foyer, but maybe that's just my memory cheating.

There's nothing on Street View that seems to match up with my recollections. Can anyone give me chapter and verse?

EDIT - had another look and I'd've said that my memory would insist that it was that glass-fronted bit squeezed between Anglia House and Savill's, but that doesn't look like it's got a proper entrance.

Cheeseford
Committee

Re: Where was Anglia's audience entrance?

Post by Cheeseford »

I suspect you're looking at the wrong building. Audience shows tended to be done at the studios in Magdalen Street (now an independent facility called Epic, run by Norwich council), which were converted from a bowling alley in the 1970s.
The Trials and Triumphs of Les Dawson and Britain's Greatest TV Comedy Moments - available at some indifferent bookshops.

swills
405 lines

Post by swills »

Indeed I think ANGLIA SQUARE was the location for some of the studios :-) Don't think I would recognise it now !

Roll ACR
625 lines

Post by Roll ACR »

The Magdalene Street building is no longer anything to do with Norwich City Council. Having not made much of it they recently jettisoned it for a fraction of its value.

Roll ACR
625 lines

Post by Roll ACR »

Here's a link:

http://www.edp24.co.uk/business/norwich ... _1_1195572

One of my workmates is a local to the area and was livid when the deal went through. He said we should've all clubbed together if it was only going for £150,000. Even given the contractual safeguards, it's a fairly outrageous price to let it go for. Anyhow, lets hope it now succeeds as a thriving facility and home to "Keen as Mustard" or whatever the new local station is calling itself.

Cheeseford
Committee

Post by Cheeseford »

£150,000? Bloody hell. You can't get a semi in Norwich for that little. They sold a fully HD-equipped city centre studio for that little? Was it an open sale? I'm guessing not.
The Trials and Triumphs of Les Dawson and Britain's Greatest TV Comedy Moments - available at some indifferent bookshops.

GarethR
HD

Post by GarethR »

Cheeseford wrote:I suspect you're looking at the wrong building. Audience shows tended to be done at the studios in Magdalen Street (now an independent facility called Epic, run by Norwich council), which were converted from a bowling alley in the 1970s.
Interesting. The entrance certainly looks about right, but I could have sworn that we parked in Prince of Wales Road just east of Anglia House (that bit definitely looks familiar) and ate at a Chinese restaurant there before walking two minutes to the studio. Guess it must almost certainly have been somewhere around Magdalen Street, though.

EDIT - on the subject of Magdalen Street, just found this. Not directly related to Anglia Television, but full of late 50s/early 60s colour footage of the street before and after its renovation.

Paul Hayes
625 lines

Post by Paul Hayes »

Not directly related, but it didn't seem worth starting a whole new thread for...

Yesterday we featured the Anglia knight on a radio show I produce, and when I saw it last week when I took the clue over to them I was surprised how big it is. You'd think it was a tiny little ornament from the idents, but it's massive!

Here's our retiring presenter (and ex-Anglia continuity man) David Clayton with it:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03s1lph/p03s1kjb