Anyone recommend a good new TV.....?

Discussion of television and radio technology - professional and domestic.
lovecraft
625 lines

Anyone recommend a good new TV.....?

Post by lovecraft »

I am thinking of moving up to a 37 or 40 inch screen smart tv but there seems to be so many to choose from. I am wavering towards a Samsung. I want good picture quality and the ability to watch iPlayer etc, the social networking side of it not so much. Any thoughts...?

mikew
405 lines

Re: Anyone recommend a good new TV.....?

Post by mikew »

I'm thinking of upgrading too as my beloved 60Hz CRT is increasingly on the blink. Not too bothered about 3D but, as you say, some of the smart TV functions seem useful. Above all I want something on which my archive TV DVDs will look good and not be stretched / processed / upscaled beyond all recognition. A bit of investigation online suggested a Panasonic plasma smart TV would be the way to go - though I've no taken the plunge yet.

Bernie
D-MAC

Post by Bernie »

The trouble is that if you pick a model this week, there'll be a different one in it's place next week. And large retailers have their own model numbers, just to confuse even more. In the end, I think there really isn't much difference when it comes down to it - size, number of connections on the back, internet or not, DVD or not, plasma or LCD/LED - that's about it really. What you won't know until you've got it home is just how user friendly the remote is.

B

lovecraft
625 lines

Post by lovecraft »

On reflection I think I may go to Richer Sounds and get a demo. Seems many modern TVs are all geared for HD and have a poor performance on SD which is basically all I watch.....

Irongiant
405 lines

Post by Irongiant »

Hard to recommend a particular model, but as for manufacturer I'd go for Samsung or Panasonic.

perov
405 lines

Post by perov »

Panasonic get good reviews, and are worth a look.
I have one and it's great.

Suggest you buy from John Lewis and you will get a free 5 year guarantee.

GarethR
HD

Post by GarethR »

lovecraft wrote:Seems many modern TVs are all geared for HD and have a poor performance on SD which is basically all I watch.....
Flat panels resolve far more detail than CRTs can, so they are usually very unforgiving to SD pictures. That said, my 42" Panasonic plasma gives very nice SD images. Inevitably, though, blowing an SD picture up to that size is going to reveal limitations in the source material that a smaller CRT will hide.

Bob Richardson
625 lines

Post by Bob Richardson »

I bought a 40 inch Samsung Smart TV from John Lewis a week before Christmas - and at the moment I don't think I'll ever go out again.

The BBC i>player pictures are a little soft but far better than I'd imagined (compared with my PC), as are the ITV Player pics. Internet access is a pain because the on-screen keyboard is accessed via the cursor control buttons on the handset.

I originally bought a matching Samsung sound bar but returned it just a few days ago. The sales rep told me that the TV sound wouldn't be great and that a sound bar would improve it. The difference wasn't really worth the extra expenditure and the sound bar, with built-in woofer wasn't "slaved" to the TV picture because it had to be connected via a peripheral device (hard disk recorder) thanks to the lack of an optical connector on the sound bar. I'd say it's a waste of money to buy one of these gadgets - plug it through your hi-fi if you want more volume, but the Samsung TV speakers are perfectly adequate for an average-sized living room.

SD pictures are fine. Even a ropey old episode of "Our House" (which seems to have had minimal clean-up, if any) looked bright and crisp. The Samsung also recognises the format pretty much every time and displays 4:3, 16:9 and widescreen films correctly without my intervention, which my old Panasonic didn't do 100% of the time.

One minor niggle. I was watching "This Island Earth" on DVD a couple of days ago and some of the sequences in the film appear in "non-sync" colours (if that makes sense!) with blue faces and green hair. Whether this is a disk mastering fault or an issue with the TV is not yet clear.
"Forfar 5 - East Fife 4"

swills
405 lines

Post by swills »

We have just (2 months) bought a 42" LG SMART LED TV, with 3D, although the 3D aspect holds no real interest, but for an HD TV we find it pretty darn good !

TK-JaKe
405 lines

Post by TK-JaKe »

perov wrote:Panasonic get good reviews, and are worth a look.
I have one and it's great.

Suggest you buy from John Lewis and you will get a free 5 year guarantee.
I endorse this sentiment - currently running 2 42" Panasonic plasmas - never a moment's dis-satisfaction.

Happy New Year to everyone, especially my former colleagues at the BBC.

Cheeseford
Committee

Post by Cheeseford »

lovecraft wrote:Seems many modern TVs are all geared for HD and have a poor performance on SD which is basically all I watch.....
As Gareth said, the problem isn't poor performance so much as CRTs being very kind and flattering to SD. I have a 32" Toshiba LCD, and good, clean, well-encoded SD looks fine, while bad (low-bitrate or multi-gen analogue source) SD looks worse than it would have done on my old Tatung CRT. Garbage in, garbage out, as with anything. Having resisted the temptation to move from CRT as long as I possibly could (I didn't fancy the increasingly capricious Tatung's chances of making it from Suffolk to the Cotswolds in full working order, so I left it behind and bought a new telly when we got to the other side), I now wouldn't go back to CRT for anything.

By the way, the Toshiba was an ex-display model off eBay, and it cost me £160. There are a lot of similar bargains to be had on there, all with full guarantee.
The Trials and Triumphs of Les Dawson and Britain's Greatest TV Comedy Moments - available at some indifferent bookshops.

Roll ACR
625 lines

Post by Roll ACR »

I'll give a "Hear! Hear!" to Panasonic. I think they're the best of the bad bunch that is modern domestic tellys. I mean that in the sense that Pannys are easy to get looking "proper" like what I see on a monitor at work. Depends on the model but they also have the option to under scan as a menu feature rather than having to access the hidden engineer's menus, which I love. That small amount of shrinkage, 5%?, such that the edge of the screen IS the edge of the video frame, makes SD pictures look a tiny but perceptible bit better. My mate has a Samsung and they've got them at my gym too. They're fine, perfectly good, but no option to under scan on the internal DVB tuner and I still prefer Panasonic.

Whatever you buy just make sure you go into every available picture menu and disable all the "clever" technology. Otherwise it won't look like it should.