16mm vs. 35mm inserts

Discussion of television and radio technology - professional and domestic.
fatcat
D-MAC

Re: 16mm vs. 35mm inserts

Post by fatcat »

Brian F wrote: I do remember reading in the newspaper that at one time the IBA criticized Crossroad for being too studio bound and that they had to do more location work. That was before they insisted on less episodes a week "to improve quality". I don't think most of us wanted that we were just amused at what they were doing to keep up with 5 episodes a week.
Yes as mentioned previous, Crossroads seemed to remain in B/W a long time after the end of the colour strike, indicating perhaps how many episodes they managed to knock out in that period?

I think the circa 70 churchyard - devil worship - bikers plot was done on OB :-) and so that does not remain now and was perhaps the last of the more wild plots for teatime before Crossroads got it wings clipped? After this Crossroads seemed to spend much of it's time in the studio for the 70s ..but it's didn't matter, they still managed to entertain us depending on your view.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

They failed utterly and absolutely to entertain me in any way whatsoever. The most memorable thing about it was that the captions scrolled wrong.

Xrds1895
405 lines

Post by Xrds1895 »

The 1969 Witchcraft storyline was brought to a rather abrupt end by the IBA who didn't think that Witchcraft was suitable for a teatime serial.
I've got the audio of half the final episode the story featured in and it's very strange to hear them chanting away. It's much more like Dark Shadows than Crossroads.

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Xrds1895 wrote:The 1969 Witchcraft storyline was brought to a rather abrupt end by the IBA who didn't think that Witchcraft was suitable for a teatime serial.
I've got the audio of half the final episode the story featured in and it's very strange to hear them chanting away. It's much more like Dark Shadows than Crossroads.
Well done for keeping it.
I suppose when you come to think of it, Crossroads was going out at around 4pm in some regions so would be catching the school kids .but I think I/they actually enjoyed it :-)

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

That was the great thing about "Crossroads", it was fun, one of the things that set it apart from the others, Noel Gordon mentions it in one her interviews.

By the 80's and the changes made to it, there were more 'normal', 'serious' storylines which robbed it of it's individual approach.

Glad to see the re-appearance of all those film sequences, it's great news.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Been watching the Thames series, "Zodiac", and oddly, there were no exteriors done, in any of the six episodes.

Presumably a budget decision, but I can't think of any other peak time Drama series by 1974, that wouldn't feature any.

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Mark wrote:Been watching the Thames series, "Zodiac", and oddly, there were no exteriors done, in any of the six episodes.

Presumably a budget decision, but I can't think of any other peak time Drama series by 1974, that wouldn't feature any.
I think Crossroads film sequences were actually done on mate's rates by ATV news -who being the news knew how to turn sequences around round quickly, as local news became more involved and longer. they probably could not spare anyone to nip up the road anymore and get a Meg shot?

Perhaps Zodiac was still in pilot mode as with 12 Zodiac signs it probably should have lasted 12 shows at least?

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

fatcat wrote:
Mark wrote:Been watching the Thames series, "Zodiac", and oddly, there were no exteriors done, in any of the six episodes.

I think Crossroads film sequences were actually done on mate's rates by ATV news -who being the news knew how to turn sequences around round quickly, as local news became more involved and longer. they probably could not spare anyone to nip up the road anymore and get a Meg shot?

Perhaps Zodiac was still in pilot mode as with 12 Zodiac signs it probably should have lasted 12 shows at least?
Reminds me that the "Swap Shop" Swaparama, used OB units set up for Sport.

"Zodiac" was a good series, it had certainly got into it's stride by the last two, perhaps it was too late by then, sadly.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Noticed something interesting on the last episode of "Juliet Bravo" series 3 ( last with Stephanie Turner).

As usual, interiors in studio, exteriors on film, but there were two seperate shots of Ins Darbley on her radio, on OB, close ups, so you couldn't see the background...late additions as inserts perhaps, done outside Pebble Mill?

Also at the end of "Tenko" series 2, episode 1, the women see the new camp for the first time (On film) but the shot of the camp is on OB ( as all the camp scenes for the series are).