LED light radio interference

Discussion of television and radio technology - professional and domestic.
Private Frazer
D-MAC

LED light radio interference

Post by Private Frazer »

I get a lot of FM radio interference from a mains powered 2W LED clip on bed-light, even meters away. If this type of light bulb has passed EMC testing then the tests don't have to ensure FM reception. Just something to be aware of before buying them.
"Now listen you guys, I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going on out here..."

TVT_Dave
405 lines

Re: LED light radio interference

Post by TVT_Dave »

I'm surprised that you are getting any interference. Last year I changed over 15 x 50w G10 halogen lamps for the equivalent wattage output LED versions. I have four FM radios in the house - one receives via a roof aerial and the other three by bits of wire and none of them suffer from interference when the lamps are on.

One of the radios is in the kitchen where there are eight LED lamps, and, immediately above in the bathroom, another four, so it would be obvious if any of these lamps were causing problems with FM.

Also, one of the radios has DAB, and again, there's no interference.

Dave B

Private Frazer
D-MAC

Post by Private Frazer »

Thanks for making me want to check whats going on. I think its the 4V power supply built in to the plug and not the lamp itself; if I move it away from the radio the interference is reduced and if I use a separate socket its gone.
"Now listen you guys, I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going on out here..."

squidney
405 lines

Post by squidney »

Interesting, my dad has moved into a care home and we bought him a DAB radio. When the overhead ( presumably) LED lights are on he has no DAB reception at all, but as soon as we turn them off, the radio springs back into life.
I must now see if the same thing happens on FM!

Brian F
D-MAC

Post by Brian F »

I suspect it depends on how well the electronic "transformer" in the mains voltage LEDs is suppressed. Cheap ones could send out all sorts of harmonics if using Chopper circuits to give square waves. (50hz mains would give 50hz square wave containing all odd harmonics 150hz up)