How were TV series' albums made back in the sixties?

Discussion of television and radio technology - professional and domestic.
Spiny Norman
D-MAC

How were TV series' albums made back in the sixties?

Post by Spiny Norman »

When an LP was made with tracks from a TV series back in the 1960s, how was this done when it wasn't rerecorded?

I mean mostly: how was it done physically? I assume there'd still be a master tape, not just a telerecording. Would it be produced in the TV studio (in some ways that might be easiest)?
This is nøt å signåture.™

stearn
Committee

Re: How were TV series' albums made back in the sixties?

Post by stearn »

Which did you have in mind?

I suspect there may have been different approaches. For something that was pre-planned for release (I'm thinking of the TW3 Kennedy album) it would be possible to record the audio cleanly and separately from the video. I know it was a bit later, but the Last Goon Show of All was recorded on both media, and with the audio, I believe there was more than one recording as TS would have probably done their own to edit differently.

For something that was popular later, I'm guessing it would be based on whatever assets existed.

Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Post by Spiny Norman »

stearn wrote:Which did you have in mind?

I suspect there may have been different approaches. For something that was pre-planned for release (I'm thinking of the TW3 Kennedy album) it would be possible to record the audio cleanly and separately from the video. I know it was a bit later, but the Last Goon Show of All was recorded on both media, and with the audio, I believe there was more than one recording as TS would have probably done their own to edit differently.

For something that was popular later, I'm guessing it would be based on whatever assets existed.
Well, if it wasn't pre-planned, would the material be compiled from tape for the audio to be copied? Or would the audio be copied, and shipped off to an audio studio for that?

In the latter case, it's even remotely possible that the record company might have extra, unused audio recordings.

Ian Fryer
405 lines

Post by Ian Fryer »

Spiny Norman wrote:When an LP was made with tracks from a TV series back in the 1960s, how was this done when it wasn't rerecorded?

I mean mostly: how was it done physically? I assume there'd still be a master tape, not just a telerecording. Would it be produced in the TV studio (in some ways that might be easiest)?
Depends on exactly which type you mean. Some of the Hancock LP releases of his TV episodes, for example, were remounts of the episode especially for audio release. (EDIT: I wonder if this changed the copyright of the recording, as with the Goon Show re-recordings which were done for EMI and have always been released by them separately from the BBC Radio recordings)

Towards the end of his life there is a very sad story (it could be in Kenneth Williams' diaries) of Tony Hancock coming in to record one of these and his delivery and timing being completely shot. Only by skilful editing could a useable result be produced. Knowing this makes it all the more remarkable that Hancock gave a fairly decent performance in his final, Australian series.

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

IIRC The Goon Shows that EMI released were edited from the master BBC Recordings. The negotiated rights made it more difficult for the BBC to re-use them, but they were among the first Ted Kendall restored for re-broadcast specifically because BBC Records couldn't release them in full. Music was excised (as for the BBC Hancock releases) to aid fitting onto a single side of an LP, but also to reduce costs of involving musicians.

The Hancock shows that were re-recorded were done at Star Sound studios (IIRC) and, I am guessing, would have only required the consent of the writers. The drink had taken its toll on Hancock's timing by then, and I thought that even the Australian TV stuff had to be re-shot and edited to get something workable. I've avoided the later stuff, so my memory is a bit hazy.

I get the impression the question was sort of asking - should we all be pushing the record labels to let us rummage in their archives for lost TV gems. I think the answer is probably no! They probably didn't have anything, if they did, they have probably already lost it, and if they haven't, they ain't gonna let anyone go looking. EMI did a lot of comedy compilations and there were a couple of researchers involved (can't recall their names off the top of my head). I suspect they have already gone looking for stuff, if only to make a re-issue different and worth spending more cash on, so if there was anything lurking, it will have been found by now.

Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Post by Spiny Norman »

stearn wrote:I get the impression the question was sort of asking - should we all be pushing the record labels to let us rummage in their archives for lost TV gems. I think the answer is probably no! They probably didn't have anything, if they did, they have probably already lost it, and if they haven't, they ain't gonna let anyone go looking. EMI did a lot of comedy compilations and there were a couple of researchers involved (can't recall their names off the top of my head). I suspect they have already gone looking for stuff, if only to make a re-issue different and worth spending more cash on, so if there was anything lurking, it will have been found by now.
I don't have high hopes - but yes I was wondering if, say, Pye, would have had a complete series' audio at their disposal - or at least, at one time.

Ian Fryer
405 lines

Post by Ian Fryer »

stearn wrote:IIRC The Goon Shows that EMI released were edited from the master BBC Recordings. The negotiated rights made it more difficult for the BBC to re-use them, but they were among the first Ted Kendall restored for re-broadcast specifically because BBC Records couldn't release them in full. Music was excised (as for the BBC Hancock releases) to aid fitting onto a single side of an LP, but also to reduce costs of involving musicians.
Ah yes, I was getting mixed up with the BBC Transcription Services re-recordings made under the title Vintage Goons.

Focus II
625 lines

Post by Focus II »

I used to have the Pye Steptoe and Son LP, 'The Bird' from 1962.

Side 2 had extracts from three other episodes, one of which is surrounded with 405-line whistle, which would appear to suggest the audio came directly from the 2" master VT while it still existed.