BBC Red Button Text Service

Discussion of television and radio technology - professional and domestic.
Private Frazer
625 lines

BBC Red Button Text Service

Post by Private Frazer »

According to a letter in the current Radio Times the BBC Red Button Text Service may close because of the internet. I still use it and would be sorry. You can put all your eggs in one basket, and if the one source of information isn't there ...
"Now listen you guys, I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going on out here..."

Darren Fricker
405 lines

Re: BBC Red Button Text Service

Post by Darren Fricker »

Very annoyed at this.

The text based service is far easier and quicker to navigate.

There have been numerous letters in Radio Times over the last few weeks - some from people in rural communities without a decent internet connection or people that aren't so tech savvy and rely on it for information.

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

Isn't this more to do with the advance of technology and 'older' TVs not supporting the new standards?

Our smart TV, just over 3 years old, can no longer get C4 and 5 catch-up services, and there are other bits that are blank (that must have had some logo in when we bought it!). I read a week or so ago that many Samsung TVs and Roku devices will no longer support various services shortly. As the delivery method 'improves' the old devices just can't be updated to cope

Private Frazer
625 lines

Post by Private Frazer »

The ending of the Red Button has a temporary reprieve. I like the News Index -> Around the UK for regional news (even if one piece of news I found was that Dundee's 'The Weekly News' magazine is to cease after 165 years). I don't know an online site that gives such well selected regional news stories.
"Now listen you guys, I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going on out here..."

Private Frazer
625 lines

Post by Private Frazer »

OK its pretty much the same on the internet's BBC News

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Thomson's Weekly?
Oh No! Let's hope the Sunday Post is safe!