Everyone at Home broadcasting

Discussion of television and radio technology - professional and domestic.
swills
405 lines

Everyone at Home broadcasting

Post by swills »

With the current lockdown, 90% of people seem to be brodcasting from their kitchen or shed !
As a non industry person, to get it all lined up so that they can talk see, and not all talk over each other, be on screen at the right time, to me, seems like a nightmare ! Is it very difficult to get right, or fairly straight forward ? Whicheber it is, and if some of you are on here, my hat off to you, a grand job indeed :-)

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Re: Everyone at Home broadcasting

Post by Ian Wegg »

I know little about the technicalities but I have to say I'm really enjoying this new cottage industry style of broadcasting, I find the lack of polish quite endearing.

Down here on Meridian, I am particularly enjoying the Daily Dinenage that Fred does from his, very comfortable looking, living room. Mrs W. is enjoying the nightly Keep Crafting and Carry On, broadcast from Kirstie Allsop's house, with the occasional interruption while she shouts at the children to keep quiet.

I shall definitely miss this sort of thing when the lock-in is over and TV becomes slick and impersonal again.

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

There is a possibility at the end of it all that somebody says - "Hey we don't need camera/sound/lighting/directors people anymore"

I follow a travelog on You Tube called Itchyboots, this woman travels all around the world on a motorbike, records hours of footage each day then edits herself and adds music for a 20 minute programme...no cameramen, no soundmen, no make up, no researchers, no editors,no fixers for her trip, no one organizing her accommodation .

....she does it all herself including getting drone shots.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

fatcat wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 11:01 pm
I follow a travelog on You Tube called Itchyboots, this woman travels all around the world on a motorbike
Not any more! "I decided that I had to grab the opportunity to fly back to the Netherlands on one of the last repatriate flights from Peru."

https://www.itchyboots.com/motorcycle-s ... -19-crisis

Looks interesting though - I might give it a watch myself.

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Brock wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 12:01 pm

Not any more! "I decided that I had to grab the opportunity to fly back to the Netherlands on one of the last repatriate flights from Peru."

https://www.itchyboots.com/motorcycle-s ... -19-crisis

Looks interesting though - I might give it a watch myself.
Yes this year she has about 75 episodes of her S.American trip..amazing !

Goodness knows how she traveled for hours by herself on lonesome (often just dirt tracks) roads in the middle of nowhere ( often sending up a drone to get some spectacular shots)..... and then at the end of that day get down to the editing of the hours of footage into a beautifully cut and music matched little programme .

I think she (and others like her) have made these TV celebrity travel jollies (dressed up as documentaries or travelogs)
look very dated now...as although not as expensive as a drama to make, they must still cost a fortune with the crew and the requirements of the celebrity to cost in.

Brian F
D-MAC

Post by Brian F »

Just a thought. If 90% people were spending lots of time recording, editing etc there would only be 10% watching if all the rest did watch. :-)