And so, goodbye TC

Discussion of television and radio technology - professional and domestic.
ayrshireman
625 lines

Re: And so, goodbye TC

Post by ayrshireman »

Any chance you could take the camera crew from BBC4's excellent short series on the Pre-Raphaelites with you?.

Appalling camerawork. Just appalling.
I got motion sickness sitting in my armchair.

Bob Richardson
625 lines

Post by Bob Richardson »

Roll ACR wrote:Yes, if it's stretched and lit then it's a cyclorama. If it's just hanging freely and unstretched/not weighted, like a star cloth or blacks then it's generally referred to as drapes.

I remember once as a trainee, a fellow junior colleague of mine referred to the cyc as "curtains". The camera supervisor was Bill Jenkin who incredulously repeated "Curtains!" followed by one his famous expletive ridden phrases.

And "curtains" are, of course, "Tabs" (except when they really are curtains).
"Forfar 5 - East Fife 4"

groovy69
405 lines

Post by groovy69 »

I still can't quite believe that after 25 years of working at TVC, after today my ID will no longer get me in the building... Oh well, I have to count myself lucky that I was there all that time and that I started just at the tail end of the old style Beeb, with VT in the basement, Telecine on the 2nd floor and pre-Producer Choice. Farewell concrete doughnut.

Bernie
D-MAC

Post by Bernie »

405 lines

Post by 37357 »

have they always had stop and search?
or just recently since TC closing?

Bernie
D-MAC

Post by Bernie »

A random thing for many years.

GarethR
HD

Post by GarethR »

Wasn't the stretch of Wood Lane between TVC and the tube station known as "Muggers' Alley" for a while, especially after significant numbers of staff started carrying laptops between work and home? How did they deal with that in the end?

Bernie
D-MAC

Post by Bernie »

My wife was mugged on the zebra crossing which was full of people crossing from White City station. I don't know if anything concerted was done about mugging - the police in Shepherd's Bush are probably quite busy sorting out murders etc.

B

Bob Richardson
625 lines

Post by Bob Richardson »

There were occasional emails from the BBC Investigator (internal security, although it sounds like a missed opportunity for a drama series). A number of staff were mugged on Wood Lane, and there was a spate of mobile phone thefts by cyclists who grabbed them as they whizzed by. One woman had her phone taken from the dashboard of her car as she queued to leave the mulitstorey carpark. There were also a number of muggings at the ATM machine in White City station. I made a point of never using it after dark.

The BBC offered a free car service from Stage Door at TVC to local tube stations for those of a nervous disposition. My colleagues and I sometimes used to to hitch a lift to local pubs.
"Forfar 5 - East Fife 4"

Roll ACR
625 lines

Post by Roll ACR »

There used to be an overflow car park (to call it a car park was to flatter it) on wasteground at the end of Ariel Way adjacent to a lorry park and some sort of railway works. It was a muddy gravel mess and there were enormous smelly dogs associated with the owners. If you hadnt been issued one of those little square "MSCP" tickets and had a call time that started during office hours you had to take your chances and find a space in Ariel Way. There would be a mass trip during dinner break to move the cars into the MSCP. Safety in numbers and also it wasn't pleasant walking down there after dark.

Although even I have a soft spot for TVC, it is in a bloody horrible area.

image45
405 lines

Post by image45 »

Bob Richardson wrote:As a BBC Graphic Assistant in the late 1990s I was charged to Sports department at £35 per hour. That "money" went to Graphic Design Department. In turn they paid me £8 an hour but couldn't make a profit as it cost them £42 an hour to employ me under the Producer Choice rules. These were figures given to me as a union rep to justify why I was made redundant in June 2000 (my first BBC redundancy).
Yes I recall you explain this to me, even now it seems madness to work on a costing model like this.

Bob Richardson wrote: When we asked for a breakdown of that £42ph figure we were given a list which included cleaning, security, catering, car parking, business rates, depreciation on equipment values, decorating, maintenance of TVC facilities and a long list of other charges which had to be borne by my parent department. It was ludicrous, which is why we lost so much internal business to freelances who walked in and charged £20 an hour (undercutting the internal charge by £15 an hour) and made a good living. Producer Choice crippled the internal market because servicing departments had to operate with one hand tied behind their backs.
Yes and did this not mean many BBC in house employees changed to freelance so they could escape the internal market costing and remain working still!

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Interesting news report about MediaCity, after job applications from locals, totalling 3,172, 34 got jobs, 1.5% of the 2,300. staff, although 180 of those were previously working at the old BBC Manchester offices.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Bernie
D-MAC

Post by Bernie »

Those who worked at Television Centre came from all over the country, not Shepherd's Bush. Everybody wants to work for the BBC, so those living in Salford have major competition from everywhere else.

Shepherd's Bush people at TC were either those who moved there for convenience, or service personnel - cleaners etc. This complaining is just Hazel Blears doing her local MP bit. I wonder why the BBC was forced to go to Salford in the first place?

B

Steve Williams
625 lines

Post by Steve Williams »

Mark wrote:Interesting news report about MediaCity, after job applications from locals, totalling 3,172, 34 got jobs, 1.5% of the 2,300. staff, although 180 of those were previously working at the old BBC Manchester offices.
Except the FoI request made by The Sun specifically requested only details of those living within the city of Salford and absolutely not anyone else in Greater Manchester. They did not say this in the paper.

Tim D
405 lines

Post by Tim D »

Heres two whole hours of wonderful anoraking for those of us who were never lucky enough to work at Television Centre. Lovely video, thanks to Andrew for the time and effort involved. http://youtu.be/Pmh3szc5yik

GarethR
HD

Post by GarethR »

The real shame is that it wasn't really practical to do that back in the 80s when TC was still a vibrant television factory, all the studios were busy making every kind of programming imaginable, there were few locked doors, and the technology was more interesting than endless PCs.

Tim D
405 lines

Post by Tim D »

Yes, that's a shame. It did descend into a string of empty offices that could have been in any workplace after a while, but a nice idea. Now, if it could have been done in the 80's, as you say, I'm sure it would have been a completely different picture. It was interesting to see what had become of the famous Pres A & B areas.

Scary
625 lines

Post by Scary »

It wasn't all over back in the spring, last Friday morning saw the end of the last shift at TV Centre when the engineers in the Central Communications Area moved out:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/ariel/25184824