VT codes

Discussion of television and radio technology - professional and domestic.
Cheeseford
Committee

VT codes

Post by Cheeseford »

I've just come across a PasB for a 1966 edition of Jazz Goes to College. Most of the series have codes beginning VT/6T. However this one begins VT/6ET. Can anyone shed any light on the E?
The Trials and Triumphs of Les Dawson and Britain's Greatest TV Comedy Moments - available at some indifferent bookshops.

Richard Bignell
405 lines

Re: VT codes

Post by Richard Bignell »

I've seen 625-line recordings marked as 6LT or 6HT for either low or high-band recordings, but not a 6ET.

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

I've seen this occasionally too, but I've no idea what it means.

Most, but definitely not all, of the times I've come across it, the code's been used on an insert within something else - e.g. a VT clip played out within a news programme, or a clip played on Points of View. So I'd wondered if it meant "Extract", but as I say, I have encountered situations where that didn't seem to fit. That said, Jazz Goes To College used to record two shows worth of material at a time, didn't it? So it might just fit there.

Every single time I've encountered it, it's been on a something broadcast in 1966 or very early in 1967 - i.e. just before the nomenclature changed with the advent of colour, and the single "VT" code was replaced by "VTM" and "VTC".
We all have to eat a peck of dirt before we die.

TK-JaKe
405 lines

Post by TK-JaKe »

Cheeseford wrote:I've just come across a PasB for a 1966 edition of Jazz Goes to College. Most of the series have codes beginning VT/6T. However this one begins VT/6ET. Can anyone shed any light on the E?
Never saw this, so I can only speculate.

If you're using PasB as I would, a recording of a live programme, then it might be E for Enterprises, the source transmission tape for international sale;

if PasB is the written document then all I can think is E for edit, and that would be a 'cut edit'.

As far as I remember VT/6L and VT/6H only applied to mono recording, all PAL recordings were VTC/6H and NTSC VTC/5.
I only ever knew the form ('69 onwards) VTC/6HT/12345678; which became VTC/6HT/12345678/ed or even VTC/6HT/12345678/ed/ed after (dub) editing.

The Enterprises copies may have been VTC/6HE/12345678, I don't remember - I was more familiar with 16E/12345678 !!

Peter Neill
625 lines

Post by Peter Neill »

I think that 6ET was essentially the same as 6LT - i.e. Low Band, I seem to remember that the E stood for EBU, more than that I can't remember. I'll try to contact someone who would know.

Peter Neill
625 lines

Post by Peter Neill »

Further Thoughts:

From my memory of library records, they used to be VT/T/ then the number. The /T stood for Transmission. The only other one I remember was /R - used when a live transmission was recorded for subsequent Repeat.

The /T became /4T, /5T and /6T to denote line standard.

I think that the E denoted a low band recording and the E stood for EBU - presumably a standard used for Eurovision. I seem to remember that we used it in the basement for programmes which were (unusually) recorded on the Ampex machines due to unavailability of enough TR22s and that we only used it for low-profile programmes. Now, Jazz Goes to College was an OB series so might have used the Mobile VT which might have been equipped only for low-band. Finally, I think that the E was dropped in favour of /6LT and /6HT - and VT became VTM and VTC.

This is not a definitive answer. I await a reply from those who know more than me.

In the meantime, there's a comprehensive guide to the new numbering system here:

http://www.vtoldboys.com/pdf/Prognumber.pdf

Cheeseford
Committee

Post by Cheeseford »

Cheers for all of this. This is the PasB in question. The recording was done at Bristol University, and presumably the 'MBS' indicates that it was done using the West region's scanner. Might this have any bearing on the way in which the show was recorded? All of the other PasBs I've seen for this series have no suffix, so I'm assuming they were London OBs. Most are VT/6T, but a couple, including the surviving Tubby Hayes big band edition, were telerecorded for transmission on 35mm film.

The Trials and Triumphs of Les Dawson and Britain's Greatest TV Comedy Moments - available at some indifferent bookshops.

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

Here's another example for you:

We all have to eat a peck of dirt before we die.

Bernie
D-MAC

Post by Bernie »

Ah - how we all lusted after Isobel Black!

Apart from that, I'll do some asking. John Teather - listed in the "Programme Number" guide - might know.

B

Peter Neill
625 lines

Post by Peter Neill »

I'm pretty sure that /MBS means that it was recorded using the Bristol Mobile VT truck.

But I certainly saw /6ET at TC - and a growing band of us are refusing to call it TVC.

Still waiting for a definitive reply, though.

Peter Neill
625 lines

Post by Peter Neill »

And isn't/wasn't Margaret Henshall John's wife?

Bernie
D-MAC

Post by Bernie »

Quite possible, as she is/was a singer - but he's had several, so who knows?

..and I never have called it TVC. Only outsiders do that.

B

image45
405 lines

Post by image45 »

Bernie wrote:Ah - how we all lusted after Isobel Black!

[Edit by moderators: Massive picture of Isobel Black removed. Pictures should be used to support a point being made in the text of a comment, not in lieu of text. If people want to know what Isobel Black looks like, they can find a picture themselves.]