Mike Smith (1955-2014)

All flesh is grass...
Xrds1895
405 lines

Mike Smith (1955-2014)

Post by Xrds1895 »

RIP to a chap who was one of the most regular TV faces of my youth, and who can never be forgotten for being a part of the wonderful Ghost Watch. Far too young.

Darren Fricker
405 lines

Re: Mike Smith (1955-2014)

Post by Darren Fricker »

Oh no, I saw the subject and thought, 'surely not'.

As has been said, far too young.

He came across as the sort of bloke who was genuinely nice on and off screen.

Thoughts to his family.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Shocking news,

Always great on all of his TV and Radio shows, and fond memories of "That's Entertainment", which was very enjoyable.

A very sad loss.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Andy Marriott
625 lines

Post by Andy Marriott »

I just had a spine-tingling "Oh My God" moment. I read this obit, couldn't believe it was THE Mike Smith so went to the BBC website to find that it was, and without a lie at that very moment Frankie goes to Hollwood started to play (I'm in my local), it was "The Power of Love", not "Relax" but.... spooky.

No age, bloody ridiculous.

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

Andy Marriott wrote:I just had a spine-tingling "Oh My God" moment. I read this obit, couldn't believe it was THE Mike Smith so went to the BBC website to find that it was, and without a lie at that very moment Frankie goes to Hollwood started to play (I'm in my local), it was "The Power of Love", not "Relax" but.... spooky.

No age, bloody ridiculous.
Why the FGTH connection? Are you perhaps confusing him with Mike Read, who got Relax banned?

For those interested, here is my piece on Smithy for the Independent. (They full-named him in the title, not quite sure why!) It may be of interest ot Ghostwatch fans as there are few titbits in there that I don't think have featured in other things written about the programme:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/obitu ... 49893.html

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Why have none of the obits mentioned his chairmanship of the quiz show That's Showbusiness? Probably the show I most associate him with (particularly the "Videoke" round, a shameless rip-off of the "Pick-Up Song" round from Radio 4's I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue). It ran for 140 episodes over seven series, so is hardly insignificant.

EDIT: sorry, just saw Mark's remarks above about "That's Entertainment" (which I assume was an error for the correct title).

Don Satchley
625 lines

Post by Don Satchley »

RIP Mike Smith. With regard to omissions from the obituaries I haven't seen any mention made of his link to the early Carphone Warehouse. On the other hand, when Mel Smith died recently the money made from the Talkback was ubiquitous in the obituaries.
Don

Michael Hoskin
405 lines

Post by Michael Hoskin »

Don Satchley wrote:RIP Mike Smith. With regard to omissions from the obituaries I haven't seen any mention made of his link to the early Carphone Warehouse. On the other hand, when Mel Smith died recently the money made from the Talkback was ubiquitous in the obituaries.
Don
Yes, the only reference of his connection to the Carphone Warehouse was made by Mike Read in his interview as part of the Radio Today podcast tribute. I was pleasantly surprised that Read mentioned this.

GaryA
405 lines

Post by GaryA »

Don Satchley wrote:RIP Mike Smith. With regard to omissions from the obituaries I haven't seen any mention made of his link to the early Carphone Warehouse. On the other hand, when Mel Smith died recently the money made from the Talkback was ubiquitous in the obituaries.
Don
Also mentioned in the obituary in The Scotsman.

http://www.scotsman.com/mobile/news/obi ... -1-3497891