Brian Cant (1933-2017)

All flesh is grass...
Bob Richardson
625 lines

Brian Cant (1933-2017)

Post by Bob Richardson »

BBC News are reporting the death of Brian Cant at the age of 83. No further details at present.
"Forfar 5 - East Fife 4"

The Post Office
405 lines

Re: Brian Cant (1933-2017)

Post by The Post Office »

From BBC news website:
His agent said he had been living with Parkinson's disease and died at Denville Hall

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-40335213

As well as Play School and Play Away and the voice Trumpton, I remember him playing a photographer in the film "The Sandwich Man" starring Michael Bentine along with a host of cameos.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

A very funny children's presenter who never talked down to his audience. My favourite Brian Cant moment came from Play Away. The rest of the cast had been setting a sequence of riddles of the form "I'm a bean, I'm a bean, what kind of bean am I?", carrying out appropriate actions (runner bean, jumping bean etc.). Brian simply came on in front of the camera as normal and said in a deadpan voice "I'm a bean, I'm a bean, what kind of bean am I?".

<pause>

"I'm a human bean."

RIP.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

He was certainly, hugely entertaining and inventive in all he did, especially "Play Away", and you can't even think of the Trumptonshire Trilogy without hearing his voice.

A purveyor of Magic on Children's TV, and an essential ingredient in many a Childhood, affords him VIP status in the world of entertainment.

I'm sure Windy Miller has raised a tankard to him, and the sails were left silent, to a lovely chap.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Matty
405 lines

Post by Matty »

Well put Mark! As a child I disliked the patronizing, hushed tones and soppy voices of so many children’s TV presenters. Brian Cant completely broke out of that old fashioned mould and really connected to me – it’s difficult to put my finger on exactly the magic he had – but needless to say although I never met him he really felt like family.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Yes, there was a genuine warmth about him, guaranteed to make you smile.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Clive
625 lines

Post by Clive »

I was thinking the same thing, at the tender age of 3-4, the adults in my life were my parents, the local playgroup leaders and the likes of Brian Cant and Chloe Ashcroft. To me, there was no real distinction to a "real" adult and one on TV. They were all people teaching me and part of my early awareness of the world around me.

He will be missed !