Jerry Lewis (1926 - 2017)

Post by tiswas2 »

Sad to report Jerry Lewis has passed away at his home in Las Vegas aged 91

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40994864

Mark
Committee

Re: Jerry Lewis (1926 - 2017)

Post by Mark »

The films he did with Dean Martin and even some of those on his own, were hilarious, it was a 'silly' type of humour, so not to everyone's liking, but I thought they were great.

The ones he did with Martin were shown a lot In the 60's and 70's ( a bit like the Marx Bros films) so I always tried to catch them.

The rift between the two stars was well known ( wasn't there a doc about it, a few years ago?) and it was shame that it spoilt something special.

Watched the doc on Bob Monkhouse on BBC Four again last night, which included a photo of them all together.

Sad news.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

The Post Office
405 lines

Post by The Post Office »

I was never a fan of the Lewis+Martin films - I remember them being on often in the 1970's - Saturday mornings and during school holidays. I would start watching them but quickly lost interest. But he was excellent in one of my fav films "The King Of Comedy".

David Boothroyd
625 lines

Post by David Boothroyd »

He was also in the 1995 British comedy film 'Funny Bones' - which is worth looking out. His bit isn't very extensive (probably because it was made on a shoestring and they couldn't afford him) and not very comedic but the rest of the film is fun.

Bob Richardson
625 lines

Post by Bob Richardson »

His humour polarises the audience. While his passing is sad, I found his routines puerile in the extreme. His cross-eyed mugging had me reaching for the off button at record speed.
"Forfar 5 - East Fife 4"

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

I found him hilarious as a kid; the same with Norman Wisdom.
My mother dismissed them both as "Too daft to laugh at".

Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Post by Spiny Norman »

What I appreciate most about this thread is that so far, everyone has resisted (or simply failed) to bring up a certain one specific title.
This is nøt å signåture.™

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Spiny Norman wrote:What I appreciate most about this thread is that so far, everyone has resisted (or simply failed) to bring up a certain one specific title.
Only two titles have been brought-up so far. There are plenty more to go.

Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Post by Spiny Norman »

brigham wrote:
Spiny Norman wrote:What I appreciate most about this thread is that so far, everyone has resisted (or simply failed) to bring up a certain one specific title.
Only two titles have been brought-up so far. There are plenty more to go.
I meant the one that has acquired its own mystique for not being available, causing it to be mistaken for a holy grail.
This is nøt å signåture.™

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Oh, you mean the one nobody has either seen or heard of?
What was it called now? Err...'Begging the Question'?

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

I've never heard of all this but is this what you're talking about?

EDIT: Yes, it's "The Day the Clown Cried", the film that was made but never released, which became the subject of a BBC video documentary that was never broadcast on TV, but instead made available via the website of BBC Radio Solent.

This has got to hold some sort of record for obscurity.

The Post Office
405 lines

Post by The Post Office »

I was not aware of this film
Brock wrote:
EDIT: Yes, it's "The Day the Clown Cried", the film that was made but never released, which became the subject of a BBC video documentary that was never broadcast on TV, but instead made available via the website of BBC Radio Solent.

This has got to hold some sort of record for obscurity.
If anyone is interested in the documentary David Schneider, who did the BBC documentary, links to it on YouTube from his twitter page (@davidschneider)

https://twitter.com/davidschneider/stat ... 4516160512

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

The Post Office wrote: If anyone is interested in the documentary David Schneider, who did the BBC documentary, links to it on YouTube from his twitter page (@davidschneider)

https://twitter.com/davidschneider/stat ... 4516160512
Actually I was wrong. The documentary has been broadcast on television - but only on the (commercial) BBC World News channel, which isn't generally available in the UK:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/n3csztj2

There's an accompanying radio documentary as well:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03k3111

The Radio Solent connection arises because the research was done at the Parkes Institute at the University of Southampton, which studies Jewish/non-Jewish relations.

I would really like to know how the idea for this programme arose. Did someone at BBC Radio Solent think "hey, let's make a TV programme about this"? How did they get the funding?