Dame June Whitfield (1925 - 2018)

All flesh is grass...

Mark
Committee

Re: Dame June Whitfield (1925 - 2018)

Post by Mark »

A sad day, such an amazing body of work spanning Radio, TV and Film.

Wonderfully entertaining in all she did.

RIP.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

drmih
625 lines

Post by drmih »

Surely a time to celebrate a wonderful life but I'm not sure if it's dreadful news or a massive blow when a much loved actress dies peacefully after a hugely successful career at 93 - more for a person taken way too soon.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

You are probably right, couldn't really think of the words, I didn't know till I saw it here, it was still a shock .

It was certainly a good age, but you still expect them to pop up in something and go on forever, one of the greats though.

I have revised it, now it's sunk in.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Can there be any other actress or actor with such a sustained body of work over such a long period? I don't think there's been a time since Take It From Here in 1953 when she hasn't been on the TV or radio in some role or other. She will be sadly missed.

Trivia: did you know that the voice she used for Norma Major in The News Huddlines was a reprise of the one she used for Eth in The Glums?

Nigel Stapley
625 lines

Post by Nigel Stapley »

Her characterisation on The News Huddlines of the dreaded queen mum as a spoonerism- and malapropism-prone old Cockney bint was superb.

She also voiced Mrs Beaver in the UK-soundtracked version of the animated The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe in the late 70s (Arthur Lowe was Mr Beaver).

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Nigel Stapley wrote:Her characterisation on The News Huddlines of the dreaded queen mum as a spoonerism- and malapropism-prone old Cockney bint was superb.
I agree. Was there a touch of the Irene Handl in there?

She wasn't known for doing voices before she appeared on Huddlines. She first met Roy Hudd while she was doing panto in Richmond, and backstage he told her about how they'd been having terrible trouble finding a replacement for Alison Steadman. She said "you haven't tried me", but Hudd said she'd have to be able to impersonate Margaret Thatcher. So when she was playing the fairy on stage at the matinee next day, she came out with the line "Go to your corners and when you hear the bell you come out fighting" in the perfect Thatcher voice! She was hired and stayed with the show for the rest of its run.

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

Nigel Stapley wrote:Her characterisation on The News Huddlines of the dreaded queen mum as a spoonerism- and malapropism-prone old Cockney bint was superb.

She also voiced Mrs Beaver in the UK-soundtracked version of the animated The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe in the late 70s (Arthur Lowe was Mr Beaver).
I love that version of The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe (with the all-British cast: the US dubbed voices are nothing like as characterful).

The Beavers steal the whole show: Mrs Beaver, delightfully, takes a full tea service with her when they are fleeing the witch, and June and Arthur Lowe make a great pairing.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

There's a nice cameo of Ron and Eth ( voice only) In the film "Double Bunk", billed in the end credits as 'Ron and Eth", so I guess it wasn't June Whitfield and Dick Bentley, but it DID sound awfully like them.

Nigel Stapley
625 lines

Post by Nigel Stapley »

We've had two threads about The Lion... in the past.

One on the old forum:

http://www.mausoleumclubforum.org.uk/xm ... #pid111539

And one on this one:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=78

tiswas2
625 lines

Post by tiswas2 »

She certainly seemed to work with almost all of the UK's greatest comedy actors : Sid James, Jimmy Edwards, Terry Scott, Reg Varney, Ronnie Barker, Benny Hill Harry H Corbett - the list goes on.
RIP June