Nicholas Parsons (1923-2020)

All flesh is grass...
Brock
HD

Nicholas Parsons (1923-2020)

Post by Brock »

Just listening to the breaking news that the man who had presented Radio 4's Just a Minute since 1967 has died at the age of 96. Very sad news.

He went 50 years without missing a single programme, and had only missed a couple of recordings since then (when Gyles Brandreth stood in). Quite extraordinary longevity and stamina.

Also well remembered for Sale of the Century and other TV appearances.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51278023

Brian F
625 lines

Re: Nicholas Parsons (1923-2020)

Post by Brian F »

Indeed, very sad RIP Nicholas. At least he did keep going and interested in life to the very end at 96, the way I would like to go.

I don't think viewing him in the Dr Who story "The Curse of Fenrick" which arrived on Blu Ray Sunday will be as happy an event as I had hoped, but good to see him again there.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

I've just listened to the special compilation episode of JAM that Radio 4 put together for the show's 50th anniversary (it was repeated just now), very cleverly bringing together panellists from across the years speaking on the same subjects. Wonderful stuff - I was crying and laughing at the same time!

There's a repeat of Paul Merton's 50th anniversary interview with Nicholas at 11pm tonight as well.

I was born in 1966. Nicholas Parsons and JAM have literally been a joy to me all my life, since I was a small child. I don't think I've ever quite felt like this.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Very sad news indeed, a legend, someone who seemed to go on and on ( thankfully) and stay the same.

Aside from "JAM" and "Sale Of The Century", his stint with Arthur Haynes was wonderful, especially those moments when they made each other laugh.

His Acting roles as well, were a delight, "Who" obviously, but his cameo in my favourite "Marple" film, "Murder Ahoy", as The Doctor, always in a mad rush, was very good.

R.I.P.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"