stearn
Committee

Roy Hudd 1936 - 2020

Post by stearn »

Brock
HD

Re: Roy Hudd 1936 - 2020

Post by Brock »

Oh, what a shame. I grew up with The News Huddlines, and loved it.

I had something in common with Roy Hudd - we were both brought up by our grandparents. I sometimes wonder how far that influenced his style of comedy.

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

He always said it was his gran taking him regularly to the theatre to see the turns that was the basis for everything

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

He did a lot of other stuff on Radio 2 which perhaps isn't as well known as Huddlines, although some of it comes round on R4 Extra from time to time. There was Huddwinks, a series of parodies of various film genres by Laurie Rowley with David Gooderson, Denise Coffey, Chris Emmett and Fred Harris - almost a Burkiss Way cast reunion! There was also The Newly Discovered Casebook of Sherlock Holmes (brilliantly silly) and the perhaps less successful Crowned Hudds. I think they ran out of puns on his name after that :-)

Just hearing the clip of Roy on Radio 4's lunchtime news made me smile. I hope we get a repeat of Huddlines as a tribute, although I gather it's a nightmare sorting out the royalties for all the writers...

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Absolute Legend!

So many wonderful shows and appearances, strangely one thing I always think of him for, was that 'Keep Britain Tidy' PIF, where he joins the youngsters against Litter!

Also a lovely early appearance in one of the surviving episodes of "Our House", inadvertently on the receiving end of Hattie Jacques' wrath.

The world is now a sadder place...R.I.P.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Mark wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:49 pm
Absolute Legend!

So many wonderful shows and appearances, strangely one thing I always think of him for, was that 'Keep Britain Tidy' PIF, where he joins the youngsters against Litter!

Also a lovely early appearance in one of the surviving episodes of "Our House", inadvertently on the receiving end of Hattie Jacques' wrath.

I always think that those PIFs (although today often subject to much ridicule and sneers) actually worked! and kids took notice.....and Roy Hudd was particularly memorable as a litter lout which if IIRC involved him having a stash of rubbish under his dirty raincoat and his redemption later on.

Nigel Stapley
625 lines

Post by Nigel Stapley »

fatcat wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:03 pm
Mark wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:49 pm
Absolute Legend!

I always think that those PIFs (although today often subject to much ridicule and sneers) actually worked! and kids took notice.....and Roy Hudd was particularly memorable as a litter lout which if IIRC involved him having a stash of rubbish under his dirty raincoat and his redemption later on.
The one I remember was a road safety one (about crossing the road safely?) where he was dressed as a boulevardier in the back of an open-top vintage car, singing On Moonlight Bay while strumming a ukelele.

gran not nan
405 lines

Post by gran not nan »

The Keep Britain Tidy PIF was filmed in 1968 and was shown well into the 1980's.

I am very sorry to hear of his passing.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

PIF's certainly did work very well, and were entertaining in their own right.

Can't find the Boulevardier one though, is it on the DVD comp?
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"