Tim Brooke-Taylor (1940-2020)

All flesh is grass...
Brock
HD

Tim Brooke-Taylor (1940-2020)

Post by Brock »

Another Covid-19 victim, sadly:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52262490

Best known of course for The Goodies and as one of the regular panellists on I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue, which he appeared in from 1972 right up to the end of last year (missing only one series). He never stopped making me laugh.

Mr_Wolf
Potentate in Perpetuity

Re: Tim Brooke-Taylor (1940-2020)

Post by Mr_Wolf »

Bloody bloody bloody bloody...

Stop quoting the law. We have swords.

AndrewP
625 lines

Post by AndrewP »

A lovely, kind man.

RIP Tim.

Thank you so much for everything.

Andrew & Julie

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

A lifetime of laughs from one of the greats.

R.I.P.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Mr_Wolf
Potentate in Perpetuity

Post by Mr_Wolf »

Well the Guardian's obituary was rubbish, though the majority of user comments at its tail were very uplifting, so I may as well add something here for posterity.

I only met TBT once - when I had the great good fortune to sit in on the commentary recordings on the second Goodies DVD release, which is now far closer to twenty years ago than I'd like to admit. I was on my best behaviour and did not blurt out how much they meant to me and how they were such a significant influence during my childhood, because it was immediately apparent that I didn't need to - they just knew. They absolutely knew that they owned the hearts and minds of pretty much every kid who watched TV through the '70s. Nothing needed to be said - the twinkle (not Twinkle) in Tim's eye when he strolled into the recording studio said it all.

Of course, at this point it was basically the dawn of the "TV on DVD" age. It had taken a few years to get into its stride as everyone was still used to buying edited VHS compilations so no-one really knew if full series - or even full episodes - would sell well enough to justify the expense. The general consensus at that point was that they would just sell to fans, so the concept of a "new audience" for something made a few decades previously was utter fantasy. This is why the first few Goodies DVD releases were selected episodes, and included on volume two was South Africa - an inclusion which made the three of them uneasy as they thought that it didn't stand up well at two decades' remove and that some of the humour was clumsy. They really weren't keen on doing that one at all, and were in the process of talking themselves out of it when I chipped in with "well my son thinks it's funny".

Silence.

Tim: How old is your son?

Me: Eight.

Tim: But the series hasn't been shown in this country in years - and even then it was cut to bits on UK Gold.

Me: I got copies on VHS from Australia and put them onto DVD for him. He's gone through the whole lot twice and was starting the third go-round when we took them off him as he was driving us crackers.

Big belly laugh from both Tim and Graeme (Bill had wandered off for some fresh air).

Me: I know you think some of the humour is heavy-handed in hindsight so explain that in the commentary and give it context. The people who care will listen and understand, the people with an agenda will complain anyway. And kids like mine will just watch it and laugh - that's the whole point of it after all.

Graeme looks at Tim and raises an eyebrow. Tim cracks a big grin and turns towards me.

Tim: Right, fine - we'll do it. And if it doesn't work then we'll blame your son.

Graeme: Actually, he sounds like quite a clever boy to me. Give him his episodes back.

I'd like to think that, at that point, they realised that their work really would appeal - and continue to appeal - to newer, younger audiences and that things didn't just come to a screeching halt in 1981.

I had to break the news to my son about this yesterday. He may not be eight any more but he was as gutted as I am, and it's obvious from some of the online commentary that we're not alone. So, everything is round at the moment and, though watching or listening to Tim's work will be a bittersweet experience for a while, it will still make us laugh. It's The Goodies' fiftieth anniversary year this year and it's still going strong, still finding new audiences and still making people laugh - you can't really ask for a better legacy than that.

Stop quoting the law. We have swords.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

A few credits apart from the obvious ones: for seven series he chaired a Radio 4 panel game called Hoax!, a sort of forerunner to Would I Lie to You?. Three celebrity guests told anecdotes, one of which was a lie, but the catch was that the panellists had to question each other about whose story was true. Tim was just as much in the dark as everyone else (and frequently guessed wrong).

He did five series of Hello Cheeky on Radio 2 (plus its unsuccessful YTV spin-off). He co-chaired Beat the Nation with Graeme Garden on Channel 4, and presented Granada's The Fame Game. And he played one of Victor Meldrew's neighbours in an episode of One Foot in the Grave.

And of course he was one of the original "Four Yorkshiremen", despite the best efforts of Monty Python to make us believe otherwise...

Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Post by Spiny Norman »

Brock wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:15 am
And of course he was one of the original "Four Yorkshiremen", despite the best efforts of Monty Python to make us believe otherwise...
And one of the first pepperpots.
This is nøt å signåture.™

Nigel Stapley
625 lines

Post by Nigel Stapley »

Another part of my childhood/teen years falls away.

Interesting what you say Mr_Wolf (and why are you in red, by the way? Mods' privilege?) about The Goodies' attitude to the 'South Africa' episode.

I know I've related this elsewhere here, but anyway...

That episode was first broadcast when I was about 14 and as full of prejudices as anyone would be coming from a working-class community where - the odd Indian doctor and occasional travelling pedlars aside - we had never seen anyone who wasn't white.

By the end of it, I realised that being prejudiced against someone on the grounds of their physical attributes was - to put it gently - bloody daft.

'Consciousness raising' I think they call it.

Goodnight, Timbo...

rosalyn
405 lines

Post by rosalyn »

A very touching post Mr Wolf. Thank you for sharing an obviously treasured experience. Now please excuse me while I go to wipe away a few more tears. News of his passing is all the more shocking to me knowing this dreadful virus played a hand.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

rosalyn wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:29 pm
A very touching post Mr Wolf. Thank you for sharing an obviously treasured experience. Now please excuse me while I go to wipe away a few more tears. News of his passing is all the more shocking to me knowing this dreadful virus played a hand.
Yes, I agree, a moving post.

As mentioned earlier, "Hello Cheeky" is another I enjoyed over the years, and also LWT's "Me & My Girl", has always been a great favourite as well, TBT was excellent in that, alongside Richard O'Sullivan and Joan Sanderson.

AndrewP
625 lines

Post by AndrewP »

Mr_Wolf wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:17 am
Well the Guardian's obituary was rubbish, though the majority of user comments at its tail were very uplifting, so I may as well add something here for posterity.

I only met TBT once - when I had the great good fortune to sit in on the commentary recordings on the second Goodies DVD release, which is now far closer to twenty years ago than I'd like to admit. I was on my best behaviour and did not blurt out how much they meant to me and how they were such a significant influence during my childhood, because it was immediately apparent that I didn't need to - they just knew. They absolutely knew that they owned the hearts and minds of pretty much every kid who watched TV through the '70s. Nothing needed to be said - the twinkle (not Twinkle) in Tim's eye when he strolled into the recording studio said it all.

Of course, at this point it was basically the dawn of the "TV on DVD" age. It had taken a few years to get into its stride as everyone was still used to buying edited VHS compilations so no-one really knew if full series - or even full episodes - would sell well enough to justify the expense. The general consensus at that point was that they would just sell to fans, so the concept of a "new audience" for something made a few decades previously was utter fantasy. This is why the first few Goodies DVD releases were selected episodes, and included on volume two was South Africa - an inclusion which made the three of them uneasy as they thought that it didn't stand up well at two decades' remove and that some of the humour was clumsy. They really weren't keen on doing that one at all, and were in the process of talking themselves out of it when I chipped in with "well my son thinks it's funny".

Silence.

Tim: How old is your son?

Me: Eight.

Tim: But the series hasn't been shown in this country in years - and even then it was cut to bits on UK Gold.

Me: I got copies on VHS from Australia and put them onto DVD for him. He's gone through the whole lot twice and was starting the third go-round when we took them off him as he was driving us crackers.

Big belly laugh from both Tim and Graeme (Bill had wandered off for some fresh air).

Me: I know you think some of the humour is heavy-handed in hindsight so explain that in the commentary and give it context. The people who care will listen and understand, the people with an agenda will complain anyway. And kids like mine will just watch it and laugh - that's the whole point of it after all.

Graeme looks at Tim and raises an eyebrow. Tim cracks a big grin and turns towards me.

Tim: Right, fine - we'll do it. And if it doesn't work then we'll blame your son.

Graeme: Actually, he sounds like quite a clever boy to me. Give him his episodes back.

I'd like to think that, at that point, they realised that their work really would appeal - and continue to appeal - to newer, younger audiences and that things didn't just come to a screeching halt in 1981.

I had to break the news to my son about this yesterday. He's may not be eight any more but he was as gutted as I am, and it's obvious from some of the online commentary that we're not alone. So, everything is round at the moment and, though watching or listening to Tim's work will be a bittersweet experience for a while, it will still make us laugh. It's The Goodies' fiftieth anniversary year this year and it's still going strong, still finding new audiences and still making people laugh - you can't really ask for a better legacy than that.
Probably one of my favourite postings ever.

Thank you

Andrew

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

We may not quite have heard the last of TBT. The recording of Clue in Huddersfield on 15th March went ahead and it appears that he was on the panel (though the other two recordings were cancelled). The two programmes are scheduled for 4th and 11th May, so I'm hoping that they can go ahead as planned.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

It seems not - an archive episode from 2005 is scheduled for 4th May:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000hvbk

Could be a bit of a tear-jerker with Humph, TBT and Jeremy Hardy all involved.

Brian F
625 lines

Post by Brian F »

Radio Times arrived early this week with a two page article from Graeme Garden saying goodbye to "My dear friend Tim".

AndrewP
625 lines

Post by AndrewP »

Some lovely memories of Tim and the Kitten Kon event he attended 20 years ago from Alison Bean who was one of the key people behind the event:

https://twitter.com/hashtag/KittenKon20 ... htag_click

Hope these are of interest.

All the best

Andrew

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Brock wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:29 am

Another schedule change - the above episode will be broadcast on 11th May. On 4th May, next Monday, there will be a special tribute programme presented by Graeme Garden:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000hxzw

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

I'll try and give that a listen, but I still can't bring myself to watch "The Goodies" at the moment.

AndrewP
625 lines

Post by AndrewP »

Brock wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:57 pm
Brock wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:29 am

Another schedule change - the above episode will be broadcast on 11th May. On 4th May, next Monday, there will be a special tribute programme presented by Graeme Garden:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000hxzw
A deeply touching programme ... and one with a lot of laughter.

All the best

Andrew

Private Frazer
625 lines

Post by Private Frazer »

Tim was such a cheerful guy in all he appeared in.
I especially liked one anecdote in Graeme's tribute programme. Tim (being a teapot) asked the children in a pantomime what he was and one boy said "you're a very silly man". Yes Tim surely laughed and appreciated the innocent truth of that.
RIP.
"Now listen you guys, I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going on out here..."