New format

General announcements and answers to any queries you may have (hopefully...)
Mark
Committee

Re: New format

Post by Mark »

I had a double post on The Goodies thread, but wasn't allowed to delete it, so I changed the second one to another comment.

Ticked the delete box but got a message, 'Not allowed to delete post in this forum'.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

Odd. I've deleted it. It comes up with a 'reason for deleting this post' screen before you can confirm deletion. This is obviously a new feature in the software, and may be adjustable.

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

One thing I've noticed about the new set-up is that URLs now come with an 'sid' element.

This seems to present an issue with regard to pasting forum links within posts. I presume the sid is a session ID unique to whoever is logged in. Links without the sid portion seem to take you immediately to a log-in screen and those with someone else's (e.g. stearn's link to this thread in the "We've moved but you might not know it" thread) appear to work initially, but then force you to log-in again if you try to do something further (e.g. post a reply).

Is any guidance available on this subject?
We all have to eat a peck of dirt before we die.

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

This looks to be a wider cookie handling issue. When the cookies can't be saved properly a SID is created. I have had issues with my login being remembered between browser sessions and wasn't sure if it was my browser settings or the board. At least I have something more tangible to look into now.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Thanks for all your hard work. I was really beginning to worry - for the last few days I've been getting "the above URL is not available" messages and thought the forum might have disappeared completely. I only found the forum again by following a link on another page!

I've now bookmarked this one so that I don't lose it again. Is it possible that other members may also have temporarily lost access?

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Oops, Sod's Law! I must have moved the above post from the "We've moved" thread at the precise moment when stearn was replying to it.

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

Yep, and I deleted my reply as it looked a bit odd!

It did prompt me to knocking the next thing off my 'to do' list and do a mass mail shot to all members.

We've moved back to the original domain name. The old board has been removed and the home page and board home have both had pages to this effect, with automatic redirects. If someone has bookmarked a specific sub-forum, thread or post, they will probably get a 404 Page Not Found come up though.