The old Mausoleum Club. Is it no more?

General announcements and answers to any queries you may have (hopefully...)
Richard Charles Skryngestone
625 lines

The old Mausoleum Club. Is it no more?

Post by Richard Charles Skryngestone »

I enjoy going back and reading old discussions on the previous Mausoleum Club Forum.
Today, I wanted to read an old thread on that forum,to double-check something, and was unable to access the site at all.
Is the previous MC Forum now gone?
Is it archived anywhere?
Thank you.
Great News Inside, Chums!

Brock
HD

Re: The old Mausoleum Club. Is it no more?

Post by Brock »

See here.

Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Post by Spiny Norman »

So THAT's why it's called the Mausoleum Club! :o
This is nøt å signåture.™

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

All the old forum data is saved and I do hope that it can be resurrected at some point, but I know diddly squat about databases or the workings of PHP or MySQL. I have order a couple of books as I enjoy a challenge, but it may take some time.

ozsat
625 lines

Post by ozsat »

Hi - have you made any progress on the resurection?

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

Despite it being the time of year where resurrection might be more expected, there is no chance that the original board can be ported in any way, shape, or form, into this board as the structures between the board softwares are just too different.

The necessary upgrade to the PHP on the server means that the old software will no longer run, and it was problematic to upgrade it way back, which was why we changed software.

The data has been saved in its raw form and, theoretically, I could still access it if it is really, really necessary. My understanding of databases is minimal and information on the old board software seems to have dropped off the web, so I haven't got an easy way to even see what the structure is.

Obviously this will have a knock on effect where there are links on this board back to the old, but google indexed the old board, and the internet archive took snapshots so all isn't quite lost.

Paul Hayes
625 lines

Post by Paul Hayes »

It is a shame it's gone as I too used to enjoy looking back over some of the interesting discussions there. But I understand why, and course as archive TV fans we should be used to some archives no longer being available!

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

OK, there is good news and bad news. The good news is I backed everything up that I had access to, both in 2017 and in January. I can look at the old forum data, but it stops dead sometime in 2009. The new forum picks up in December 2012.

Threads from the old forum aren't indexed on WayBackMachine sometime in 2009, with a simple page saying access was denied. This suggests that something was changed within the software for the old forum and it prevents robots from trawling. We had a major problem with a forum exponentially growing due to spam and had to kill it off. This may be related, or not, I just can't remember.

The upshot of this is, anything from the period when the forum was not accessible to WayBackMachine wasn't accessible to me as a web host. This was the case with the new forum earlier this year. I was the web host, but a lowly admin, so couldn't do all I needed to do to transfer the database that powered the current forum. Mr Wolf upgraded me to founder status so I could access everything, and I concentrated on the current forum but, having downloaded the sql file from the old forum, assumed that I had grabbed all the data.

This means the bad news is everything between 2009 and 2012 is potentially lost. I say potentially as Mr Wolf may have backed things up as owner of the forum, and may have the back-ups on a HDD somewhere. I will be sending out some emails to find out.

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

There was a point where things were locked down a bit more and it was impossible to register new accounts, though I don't think this necessarily prevented anyone from reading the forum.

The non-registration period certainly included 2011 but I don't know how long it lasted nor how far it stretched fore and aft.
We all have to eat a peck of dirt before we die.

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

A quick update. I have gone back through my most recent drive and have periodic backups for both the old and new forums going back 6 years. There may be more on older drives, but it is unlikely to help as the file size for the old forum SQL file stays constant over those 6 years, which is what I would expect for a locked forum. The new (current) forum back-ups increase in size - as expected.

This confirms that the chunk of data from 2009-2012 that is missing from the SQL back-up taken just before the old forum became inaccessible due to the underlying php upgrade, has, annoyingly, always been missing from the back-ups I was able to take. A robots.txt file was created 25 Aug 2009, which explains why WayBackMachine couldn't archive anything (from that date) but I'm buggered if I know why the chunk of data was invisible to any back-up.

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

That does sound odd.

Was the backup process you used to perform on the old system one which accessed the database directly? Or was it accomplished via the forum software itself?
We all have to eat a peck of dirt before we die.

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

I was backing up from the hosting side. Mirroring the directory structure of the site and backing up the available databases hosted on the site. I grabbed all I could.

Until January I didn't have access to the backup facility within the software, and I only asked for that when I found I couldn't reproduce the image on one domain on another using the hosting back-ups. phpBB, the software we currently use, needed a backup produced within itself to be able to 'restore' to a clean installation of phpBB on a new domain so that the necessary connections to the database could be established.

With the old forum, using XMB, it was never going to survive the upgrade, and I never had access to the internal functions of the board other than as a basic admin. Neither the documentation or software was around, so the idea was, the board would be nuked but the back-up (of the site structure and the database) could be ported elsewhere at some later time and important threads extracted.

There were two versions of XMB on BOTH domains, where the software had been updated at some point and, I am guessing, an attempt had been made at moving the board from one domain to another, but there was only the ONE database on the domain that was to be lapsed, that was associated with the XMB board (and one for the phpBB, current, board).

There was no reason to assume that the XMB database was incomplete, as the board was functioning and it had remained the same size in back-ups for 6 years. I have emailed Mr Wolf to see if he holds any different back-ups, but there was a good reason we moved from XMB to phpBB nearly a decade ago - it wasn't fit for purpose anymore, and was unsupported. All the advice (what little there was) about moving from XMB to phpBB was 'don't bother', 'start again', and that wen't back years.

AuntDaisy
Baird 30-line Televisor

Post by AuntDaisy »

Thanks Steve. That makes sense, and thanks for all your hard work updating things.
Fingers crossed that Mr Wolf has a backup for the missing block.