Hello again

General announcements and answers to any queries you may have (hopefully...)
Roll ACR
625 lines

Re: Hello again

Post by Roll ACR »

I've come across and I have to say I think it's all much better. Much more modern and plush looking. Onward and upward for our merry band. I raise a glass of ice cold White Bordeuax to fresh forums and happy postings.

I've dug out a new avatar too. A reminder of happy days on the staff of one of the "big 5".

Moor Larkin
405 lines

Post by Moor Larkin »

I always thought it was Maw-so-lee-um

Just goes to show how dead wrong one can sometimes be

Roll ACR
625 lines

Post by Roll ACR »

Me too, the phonetic pronunciation given by Mr Wolf seems rather Germanic compared to how I would say Mausoleum. But he knows best and in the context of this forum I shall say it like Anton Diffring :-)

Mr_Wolf
Potentate in Perpetuity

Post by Mr_Wolf »

You obviously need to listen to the radio series.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00fq65l/episodes/guide

Stop quoting the law. We have swords.

Cheeseford
Committee

Post by Cheeseford »

brigham wrote:A new world. A chance to leave our old resentments behind us.
Up to a point. A software change doesn't cancel out any pre-existing bans. Those of us that remain can probably make good use of a clean slate, though.
The Trials and Triumphs of Les Dawson and Britain's Greatest TV Comedy Moments - available at some indifferent bookshops.

Westengland
625 lines

Post by Westengland »

Cheeseford wrote:
brigham wrote:A new world. A chance to leave our old resentments behind us.
Up to a point. A software change doesn't cancel out any pre-existing bans. Those of us that remain can probably make good use of a clean slate, though.
And those of us who came along later to MC1 will remain as in the dark as ever about what those "resentments" are, what caused them and why their holders take them so seriously...
Expect trouble if you know more than they do.

Doom Patrol
625 lines

Post by Doom Patrol »

What, like feuding? Don't cross them Westengland.

Cheeseford
Committee

Post by Cheeseford »

Westengland wrote:And those of us who came along later to MC1 will remain as in the dark as ever about what those "resentments" are, what caused them and why their holders take them so seriously...
It shouldn't really matter, but there is one person who was banned for repeatedly being abusive to just about everyone who disagreed with him. He rejoined under another name, and remained civil for a bit, but then reverted to type. He was banned again. This went on and on. The final time, he agreed that he'd been troublesome (and not in a good way), and we said we'd suspend him for a bit, but that if he tried to rejoin during the suspension period, it would result in a ban that went some way beyond permanent. Guess what? Within minutes of the suspension, he'd rejoined under a new name.

A couple of others were canned because they became obsessed with the way the forum is moderated, and questioned every single tiny bleeding thing at tedious length. We found that 99% of our efforts were being spent on these people and concluded that they really weren't worth the effort. Nobody's above or beyond criticism, and if it's expressed politely, the moderators here tend to be receptive.

Then a couple of others were banned for blundering wilfully into legal minefields and running the risk of getting us all into a big old heap of trouble.

The moderation team is hopeful that the new forum will enable us all to get back to first principles, discussing radio, television, books and films seriously, and exchanging factual information that can't be found elsewhere. The MC is fundamentally for serious researchers, and everything the moderation team does is geared towards making sure that they don't come here, think "Oh Christ, it's as bad as Digital Spy" and bugger off. We don't delete stuff or ban people because we're power-mad. Pissed off, yes. Power-mad, no. We just think this forum is a little bit special, and we want it to remain that way.
The Trials and Triumphs of Les Dawson and Britain's Greatest TV Comedy Moments - available at some indifferent bookshops.

Paul Hayes
625 lines

Post by Paul Hayes »

Cheeseford wrote:The MC is fundamentally for serious researchers
I'm now worried that I'm here under false pretences!

Cheeseford
Committee

Post by Cheeseford »

Arf. If you're here under false pretences, we all are. You provide a lot of great information and material, and in return, you've been helped in your work by MCers. That's what it's all about.

Clive
625 lines

Post by Clive »

Moor Larkin wrote:I always thought it was Maw-so-lee-um

Just goes to show how dead wrong one can sometimes be
Yep, I would always say "More-so-lee-um", but then again, as a Northerner I can say what I like...Southern+drinking+lager+fizzy etc...

David Boothroyd
625 lines

Post by David Boothroyd »

No, it's definitely 'Mow-zo-lay-um'. Same pronunciation as the original.

Clive
625 lines

Post by Clive »

"Mow-zo" or "More-so" seems similar, depends on the accent you are speaking it with, and also the phonetic alphabet we are trying to describe them with.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Perhaps, we should use the old TV Times Tag line....."I never knew there was so much in it".....because there is..!..and it's always a fascinating read.!
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Clive
625 lines

Post by Clive »

It would be good if the "old" MC link could auto-forward to this new forum. Even though I have added this forum as a new bookmark, I keep automatically selecting the old forum from my bookmarks. Yes, I know, I will learn in time... I am just lazy.

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

Like any move, there is an amount of disruption and it will all settle down and get tidied up. This is all done in spare time, so we appreciate your patience.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Yes, thanks to the committee for all their work on this. I was lurking on the old forum and wasn't able to register for some reason, so it's nice to be able to participate at last!

Beaker
625 lines

Post by Beaker »

Yep, its good, nay excellent....with reference to my earlier comment its much, much better than the SFX forum layout is now.
If I were creating the world I wouldn't mess about with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers, eight o'clock, Day One!

Cheeseford
Committee

Post by Cheeseford »

Cheers Beaker. The back-end is much more flexible too (no, stop it), so hopefully we'll be able to keep things neat and tidy with greater ease.

Westengland
625 lines

Post by Westengland »

Re Forum Posting Guidelines:

Could

"Asking for information here should only be done as an supplement to your own original research or as a last resort when other avenues have failed"

become a formal rule, please? We are communicating with each other through a medium with instant access to the most extensive knowledge database the world has ever known, yet certain members act as if the MC itself is a query answering body, whose members are expected to reply to the most uniformed, unenlightened, ignorant and naive questions that the questioner could have almost certainly answered themselves through using the internet and public and institutional libraries, if they could be bothered - and if they are capable of such work.

I underline "work" because that is what researching a subject, establishing the facts or otherwise about it and passing the acquired knowledge on to others so that they may benefit is. The members referred to have not, so far as I know, ever shown any understanding of what kind of discipline Research (so capitalised) is, and, again, as far as I know, have made little or no original contribution to the study of the subjects the MC exists to discuss, either here or elsewhere.

Furthermore, there is always the possibility that these members may be using the help freely given to them by other MCers for career or commercial advantage, without, as is the way, acknowledging their use of other's time, knowledge or ideas, the last reflecting the plagiarism which also follows on from tolerating this behaviour.

It is noticeable that the particular individuals I am referring to have in common occupations that have a dependence on other people's money, whether public or private, to exist "independently" - with the familar inability to understand other people's need to earn a living whilst at the same time doing "serious" (a thoughtcrime) work on things they neither really understand nor care about.

I don't think the rest of the MC, from the members who have done much work on broadcasting history through to the ones who are happy just to be readers and posters without claiming more for themselves, need to waste ISP time with those grouped with fanboys/girls, trolls, spam, rip-offs and other internet obstacles.

I could be mentally detached from what I am referring to but I know what some broadcasting researchers and historians have had go through, without being melodramatic, to do their work and I don't think that they should have to accept the distracting attentions of deadwood without comment.

It doesn't take long to understand the differences between the various broadcasting and film member websites; the choice is there to be made: the Mausoleum Club isn't a drop-in centre for middle-aged, middle-class men playing at it.
Expect trouble if you know more than they do.

brigham
D-MAC

Post by brigham »

Westengland wrote:Re Forum Posting Guidelines:

... the Mausoleum Club isn't a drop-in centre for middle-aged, middle-class men playing at it.

Just a week into the new site, and we're back to the old insulting stereotypes already.

Any particular reason why you missed out 'white'?

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

I agree that there was no real need to expand on a simple - people playing at being a researcher - but I am pretty sure that if we looked at the demographic closely it would match the stereotype. Westengland has made a valid point, and I made a remark to the same effect yesterday on a thread.

If you are looking for transmission dates or other basic information about shows, the BFI's SIFT database - http://www.bfi.org.uk/filmtvinfo/ftvdb/ - should be your first stop. Also, a local library membership often gives users access to historical newspaper databases, such as the Times Digital Archive. Asking for information here should only be done as a supplement to your own original research, or as a last resort when other avenues have failed.

...is in the terms and conditions, and just a week into the new site, we are having to remind people that this is the case. It is very easy to think 'oh, what was that' and simply ask the question somewhere, get an answer without any effort, and forget about it, but that doesn't recognise the amount of work that often goes into digging up a few lines of text from somewhere. It usually falls on a select few to provide the answers - they had/have a long career in the business and a huge amount of knowledge, or they have access to various research tools, but this doesn't hide the fact that there is a lot of information just sitting out there ready to be tapped into, free of charge, but with a little bit of graft on the enquirers part.

The Times Digital Archive, Guardian/Observer, The Stage, Mirror/Express are all subscription services, but local library services tap into various of these and are available with your membership (it also supports your local library). Even if you are not amongst the lucky ones to get free access, if you have some serious questions that would benefit from a day at the computer, it won't break the bank to subscribe for a day. Google News has a Scottish newspaper online (I can't remember which) so nice for regional content, and Trove has various Australian newspapers (check if there is a subscription though as I haven't need to use it). The TV Times can be accessed via a membership to the BUFVC. This is a database of listings, and the membership is an annual one so a bit more of an investment, but it is far cheaper than buying a complete set of TV Times (believe me, I am missing around 10 years worth and would need another mortgage to fill the gaps!), and will be cheaper than train travel to access the nearest set and a lot quicker.

As a rule of thumb, if members can see you have done all you possibly could and have hit a brick wall, being a generous bunch, they will try to help. If your only contribution to the forum is to hit and run with questions, then I am sure we will get a porter to nicely ask you to leave via the tradesmans entrance.

Cheeseford
Committee

Post by Cheeseford »

stearn wrote:The Times Digital Archive, Guardian/Observer, The Stage, Mirror/Express are all subscription services, but local library services tap into various of these and are available with your membership (it also supports your local library). Even if you are not amongst the lucky ones to get free access, if you have some serious questions that would benefit from a day at the computer, it won't break the bank to subscribe for a day.
Anyone can join Westminster libraries, no matter where they live. The only rider is that you have to collect your card in person, but if you can find other excuses to hit town, it's well worth it.

Tilt Araiza
405 lines

Post by Tilt Araiza »

In defence of people who look for information that can be found elsewhere, I can understand the temptation to come to MC first. Search a database for information and you might find the information, ask at the MC and you might find the information accompanied by a flood of reminiscences, anecdotes and other contextual goodies from people who watched, or even worked on, the show in question.

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

Very true, but come to the MC with the information you have already found and ask associated questions and you will get a lot further.

Lee Rose
405 lines

Post by Lee Rose »

Hello, is there any chance us users who've migrated from the old forum would be able to change username? Something like one change per account so people don't abuse the system. I'd like to change mine. If this isn't possible, would it be allowed to set up a new account providing I contacted a moderator soon after to deauthorise the old account so again that's something that couldn't be abused? Many thanks. :)

Lee Rose
405 lines

Post by Lee Rose »

?

David Boothroyd
625 lines

Post by David Boothroyd »

I thought all users had to reregister, so anyone wishing to change their name just had to choose a new one to register with. I changed mine.

Lee Rose
405 lines

Post by Lee Rose »

Really? Bugger. ;)

Any chance a mod could manually change it?