Banned Discovery/YTV Documentary - Conspiracy of Silence

What's not currently on the box
Shaqui
625 lines

Banned Discovery/YTV Documentary - Conspiracy of Silence

Post by Shaqui »

By chance, I stumbled across this snippet on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UgGvMntX9s

- which suggests this 1994 documentary was pulled and never shown in the USA, and all copies destroyed, with co-producers Discovery and Yorkshire TV fully reimbursed to the tune of £250-£500k. While I don't subscribe fully to the Congress 'conspiracy theory' behind this edict (without further evidence), and even with the institutionalised child abuse no longer a shocking surprise, I wondered if this was a/ actually true and b/ did it air outside the USA, notably here in the UK where Yorkshire where involved in the making (and possibly the source of this footage, given the English accented voiceover and some missing scenes showing a Yorkshire TV ident)?

Also, are there any other known examples of this kind of 'highest authority' pulling of documentaries, aside from the well-known Zircon affair: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zircon_affair

fatcat
D-MAC

Re: Banned Discovery/YTV Documentary - Conspiracy of Silence

Post by fatcat »

I wonder if perhaps it has tried a bit too hard to give an impression that this was the editor's 'cutting copy' of the film?
but maybe not?

Shaqui
625 lines

Post by Shaqui »

fatcat wrote:I wonder if perhaps it has tried a bit too hard to give an impression that this was the editor's 'cutting copy' of the film? but maybe not?
Difficult to know. That's why I was wondering if anyone knew of a broadcast in the UK, and if indeed all copies were destroyed - or was this just in the USA? Would America be able to issue an edict that the UK/Yorkshire TV masters/footage were also likewise destroyed? I'm sure fans of archive TV would be interested to know of deliberate, as opposed to (say, 1960s/1970s) more casual, junkings?

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Shaqui wrote:
Difficult to know. That's why I was wondering if anyone knew of a broadcast in the UK, and if indeed all copies were destroyed - or was this just in the USA? Would America be able to issue an edict that the UK/Yorkshire TV masters/footage were also likewise destroyed? I'm sure fans of archive TV would be interested to know of deliberate, as opposed to (say, 1960s/1970s) more casual, junkings?
With regards to the destruction order- I doubt if America (at that time) would have been too bothered about what was happening in the UK with regards to its survival or even transmission? On the other hand they paid a huge sum (for those days)to ensure it was taken out of the public eye..so maybe all copies were surrendered? ..not say though it does not still lie in some secure US transgressors archive.
John Fairley was Yorkshire TV's head honcho documentary trail blazer and Simon Welfare (still alive I think)head of factual I think in the 1970s? maybe some biographical notes somewhere might put some more light on it?

Shaqui
625 lines

Post by Shaqui »

Well again, I'm looking for confirmation of the 'facts' stated in that YouTube snippet. It could all be a pack of, at best, misassumptions, and at worst, a load of lies! On the other hand, it could all be true - over to the archive experts, please.

David Boothroyd
625 lines

Post by David Boothroyd »

My guess is that this is (or was intended to be) a documentary in the 'First Tuesday' strand - they were all made by YTV and Discovery regularly showed them in the UK in the early 1990s. When the strand was dropped by the ITV network, it continued for a brief time on Discovery, although some of the programmes were rebadged editions of the ITV replacement 'Network First'.

ayrshireman
625 lines

Post by ayrshireman »

This documentary relates to a notorious paedophile ring allegation case called the 'Franklin child prostitution ring'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franklin_ ... llegations

Mickey
625 lines

Post by Mickey »

All copies weren't destroyed, no. There's a complete copy up on YT. I can't post the link here obviously, but when I Googled "YTV Documentary - Conspiracy of Silence", it was the first link, courtesy of somewhere called topdocumentaryfilms.com.

No help there in answering your main questions though, as it repeats the information given elsewhere about widespread destruction. Looks like everybody tells the same story there.

Shaqui
625 lines

Post by Shaqui »

Thanks Mickey. If true, it's interesting that no other US government has been shown this, or seen to act on its revelations. Doesn't that make all subsequent governments, and indeed law enforcement agencies, an accessory after the very obvious crime(s)?

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Post by Nick Cooper 625 »

This piece purports to be the account Tim Tate, the YTV producer of Conspiracy of Silence, which seems to confirm it was a First Tuesday edition. Tate also worked on a couple of editions of Secret History for Channel 4, including Kinsey's Paedophiles in 1998, which - having checked by SH tapes, was also a YTV production. He seems genuine enough.

As per the Wikipedia link courtesy of ayrshireman, though, it seems that while there is a kernel of truth to the financial aspects of the story, the accusations of a paedophile ring seem to have been well and truly debunked.
"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo." [Wells]

Shaqui
625 lines

Post by Shaqui »

Nick Cooper 625 wrote:This piece purports to be the account Tim Tate, the YTV producer of Conspiracy of Silence, which seems to confirm it was a First Tuesday edition. Tate also worked on a couple of editions of Secret History for Channel 4, including Kinsey's Paedophiles in 1998, which - having checked by SH tapes, was also a YTV production. He seems genuine enough.

As per the Wikipedia link courtesy of ayrshireman, though, it seems that while there is a kernel of truth to the financial aspects of the story, the accusations of a paedophile ring seem to have been well and truly debunked.
Thanks for that link, Nick. Interesting reading, and not a little spooking in some of its implications.

Ant
405 lines

Post by Ant »

Would Yorkshire really have been shooting network documentaries on 16mm film in 1993? And if this piece had been fully cleared by UK lawyers (as the blog post supposedly written by the producer says) presumably there was no reason why it couldn't have been shown in the UK - unless it just wasn't finished for other reasons.

Phrases like "all copies destroyed" and "this is the program that they don't want you to see" (which accompanies some versions of this material on YouTube) are obvious red flags. Likewise the repeated 'convincer' details like the mentions of the specific edition of TV guide which supposedly featured a billing for this program(me), they're repeated by pretty much every source yet not corroborated with anything like, for example, a copy of the page. There are several versions of this video on YouTube, all seemingly sourced from different copies of the same off-tube roughcut, some with modern digital titles, others with what looks like analogue capgen scrollers, yet they each use exactly the same text.

Highly, highly suspicious. You see the same kind of conspiracy repetition around the YouTube videos of the Southern 'aliens from space' jamming hoax - each of them uses the same (faked) footage - probably-legitimate audio but paired with the wrong video - many of them wrongly attribute the broadcast to the BBC… and so on.

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

The Internet Archive has this page and a better quality video:

https://archive.org/details/ConspiracyO ... andal-2010

And it isn't listed in the Radio Times for the 3rd May 1994 - the billing is for a different edition of First Tuesday

Richard F
405 lines

Post by Richard F »

Well if you search for "Nebraska - a conspiracy of silence" on the ITN source website it will come up with an entry with no meta-data apart from a reference number and a clip that can't be viewed. Curiouser and curiouser!