Crossfades and other things you don't see anymore...

What's not currently on the box
Bernie
D-MAC

Re: Crossfades and other things you don't see anymore...

Post by Bernie »

TK-JaKe wrote: Did you and/or the mixer not have pre-hear so you could take your cue from the
plip-plop of the sync markers on the [BBC] leader?

Also

the red transmission lights were driven by the sound fader rather than vision - that's what I was told on the induction course!
Ooohh - it was quite a few weeks ago now. You're probably right. I was always dialling up new sources on the audio monitoring for one reason or another, whilst resetting the stop watch and flipping the cue dot switch, reading the script and cueing the announcer.

B

TonyCurrie
625 lines

Post by TonyCurrie »

As a general rule, all feature films shown on BBC-tv lead sound, because there's always a down-hold-and-up before the film to soften the aspect ratio switching.

TK-JaKe
405 lines

Post by TK-JaKe »

In my day it was 4:3, not necessarily the whole of 4:3 and nothing but 4:3 - even if it was CinemaScope!

Bernie
D-MAC

Post by Bernie »

I once persuaded a TK operator to help me with a trail for Carousel (in CinemaScope). He adjusted something obscure inside the machine so that we could see the whole width. Of course, the film wasn't shown that wide, but I think it had reasonable black bars top and bottom. Then punters would write to PoV - "This film is in CinemaScope and I want to see the whole width" - "I paid for a whole screen full of picture, not half of one".

I've explained a good few times how to get proper 16:9 on a 4:3 screen - put gaffer tape along top and bottom.

B

TK-JaKe
405 lines

Post by TK-JaKe »

Bernie wrote:.... Carousel (in CinemaScope).
I've just put on my anorak .......

A real CinemaScope film was shot onto 35 mm neg with the anamorphic lens on the camera providing the 2:1 'squeeze'
I knew there was something unusual about Carousel, so I looked at imdb -
it was shot 'flat' onto 55mm neg, and the 'squeeze' done in the printing process, presumably at the'inter-neg' stage
[it was tri-pack (color by DeLuxe) rather than 3-strip Technicolor ... both 'DeLuxe' and 'CinemaScope' were (c) C20th-Fox].

The 35mm release prints were stretched by the anamorph on the projector -

the 35mm twin-lens machines used a half width raster to scan half the frame and thus un-stretch the squeezed picture,
'pan and scan' (although we never called it that) determined which horizontal part of the frame was scanned;

the 35mm polygons (at Lime Grove) did the reverse, they removed the 'squeeze' by doubling the height of the raster
and thus scanned half a frame, a whole frame, and half a frame and passed the resultant picture through a mixer to
blank top and bottom.

Many happy Sunday afternoons spent with K.M. putting barbed-wire top and bottom of the opening titles of a WW2 picture.

The MKIII digiscans read out of the framestore the part that you wanted!

Anorak off now!

Brian F
D-MAC

Post by Brian F »

No CinemaScope55 used 8 perf pulldown on 55mm film and new Bausch & Lomb anamorphic lenses on the camera. It was then a straight reduction print to 35mm from the higher definition camera stock.

See here at the American Widescreen Museum http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/widescreen/wingcs6.htm for full details.

TK-JaKe
405 lines

Post by TK-JaKe »

Brian F wrote:No CinemaScope55 used 8 perf pulldown on 55mm film and new Bausch & Lomb anamorphic lenses on the camera.
I apologise for posting misleading assumptions -
I had always thought CinemaScope 55 to be similar to 65mm neg. Panavision.

Still, not too old to learn something new, so I thank you for the link and the other new knowledge -
that 'Fox holes' have a proper name.

Shaqui
625 lines

Post by Shaqui »

Considering the hacking down of US TV 'hours' to about only 42 minutes of actual show, how long before the UK does away with titles sequences, as is evident on shows like Heroes, Agents of SHIELD and Hart of Dixie - a few seconds of series title with, effectively, a jingle/sting?

Juswuh
D-MAC

Post by Juswuh »

Other American shows still have proper title sequences, The Walking Dead for instance. The real lost cause is closing titles.

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

This may be of interest.

Production paperwork for STUDY IN THE NUDE, a second series episode of the Rediffusion series THE INFORMER, carries this caveat whenever the cast list is present...

Roland Curram is a member of the Royal Dhakespeare Company*

...with the asterisk explained at the bottom of pages with...

N.B. P.A. and Producer's Secretary
*This credit to be given verbally off air and submitted
to TV TIMES if the Artiste is still a member of the
Royal Shakespeare Company when "THE INFORMER" is
transmitted. Please check with Diana Parry when the
Time comes.

That particular episode was recorded on the 21st July 1967, and transmitted 6th December that year.