The Flipside Of Dominick Hide

What's not currently on the box
Private Frazer
D-MAC

The Flipside Of Dominick Hide

Post by Private Frazer »

Ok Dominick needs a slap, but apart from that its quite an engrossing drama. The sequel (Another Flip ..) is just as good although there was maybe a bit too much shown of Alastair Simm/Scrooge. One thing I like about them is the sequence of scenes between the two time periods, the music, how the language has changed in the future and the fine performances from all the main cast. I remember Pippa Guard was in BBC Shakespeare The Tempest I think. The DVD release has a featurette; can anyone give a brief description? Do you think this Play For Today is quite good too?
"Now listen you guys, I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going on out here..."

voyager
405 lines

Re: The Flipside Of Dominick Hide

Post by voyager »

The featurette on my BBC dvd is a 5 - 6 minute clip of Did You See hosted By Ludovic Kennedy discussing the first play with Colin Middleton-Murray, Jan Morris and Anthony Howard.

stanbutler
405 lines

Post by stanbutler »

I really enjoy both plays, although the first is the best. I've rewatched them both a few times. Lovely theme song too.

andrew baker
625 lines

Post by andrew baker »

I must get these.

They were co-written and directed by Alan Gibson who directed the two modern day Hammer Dracula films - which are worth a look as they put Dracula in a modern London setting, and why not?

Very unusually Dominick Hyde was a major inspiration on Tippett's last opera "New Year" which also has a black female character called Regan inspired by Mrs Thatcher. His previous opera "The Ice Break" has references to Star Trek. Bonkers but I love it. I can understand why others don't. The TV version of New Year is weirdly reminiscent of DrWho: Paradise Towers.

Private Frazer
D-MAC

Post by Private Frazer »

Thanks for the 'extra' info - I have videos. And yes, I do actually think the first one is slightly better too. The search for Dominick and going to the pub is very enjoyable and so 1980! I like how the beach scenes tie the two together. Caleb Line is a great character, played by Patrick Magee, and having watched it maybe three times I always learn something new about his motives, and also noticed a little human weakness last time.
"Now listen you guys, I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going on out here..."

Paul Hayes
625 lines

Post by Paul Hayes »

It's a lovely play, and one I've adored since I first saw a copy about 12 or 13 years ago, with a bloody great big timecode running all the way through it.

Bob Richardson
625 lines

Post by Bob Richardson »

After recording of the first play was completed we were given Dominick's spaceship to sell. I was an assistant with BBC Exhibitions at the time and we struggled to find a buyer. It was still in the warehouse at North Acton when I joined BBC Graphics in 1981.
"Forfar 5 - East Fife 4"

Private Frazer
D-MAC

Post by Private Frazer »

I wonder what happened to it! There is some interesting technology to be seen such as the musician holograms.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

The last time I saw Dominick's Spaceship was at the 20th anniversary "Doctor Who" bash, in Longleat in 1983.!

Always liked the two plays ( agree the first is the best) and taped them when first shown, I have the DVD of course.

I also liked the production, the music and the futurespeak ( ThomCook..nice!) a good story well told, they are both gems.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Controller 2957
625 lines

Post by Controller 2957 »

Got a showing of 'Flipside' at our local art-house flea pit here in Derby tonight and again on Monday (2nd December). The image advertising it is from 'Another Flip' though...
You see, no-one... NO-ONE escapes the new world!!

The Official Timeslip Website
http://www.timeslip.org.uk

ctraynor
D-MAC

Post by ctraynor »

Saw Flipside at the time and liked it, though I always thought it might seem better to non-SF fans, who weren't so familiar with all the tropes, than it really was. Watched it again more recently and laughed out loud again at the pub gag when he makes that blunder. I'd forgotten about that.

Saw Another Flip for the first time on the twin-disc set and liked that too, they moved the story on while keeping all the elements that made the original attractive, with a poignant ending bringing the story to a close. Should Gibson and Paul have carried on with a series like they were apparently offered? Who knows..

Among the cast, Caroline Langrishe especially made a good impression.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Agree about Caroline Langrishe, she's always very good.

Not so sure about a series though, it makes the two plays even more special and the story seems complete.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

didi-5
625 lines

Post by didi-5 »

It's easy to forget what a good actor Peter Firth was in his younger years, not just in this duo of plays but in some shorter plays (and the Double Deckers). The Dominick Hide plays, especially the first one, have stood up well over the years and I agree that Caroline Langrishe is also very good. I wasn't watching it particularly as a piece of 'sci-fi', just as a piece of one-off drama which was entertaining whatever the subject.

ctraynor
D-MAC

Post by ctraynor »

He showed he could do serious drama well too, as Angel in Polanski's Tess.

Private Frazer
D-MAC

Post by Private Frazer »

I only had an idea what the Policeman means when he says to Dominik, whom he assumes is under the influence, "I take it you're going by Shanks's Pony". It's travelling on foot (and I needn't have used the internet to find out, as our parents used the phrase!). The 80's were a while ago; I wonder if anybody still says this?

ctraynor
D-MAC

Post by ctraynor »

I remember a few phrases from the '80s which aren't as ubiquitous as they were - "Yes, well, I'm sure you're right" being one. "Good old boy" another.

Peter Neill
625 lines

Post by Peter Neill »

"I have no P's" is still in use in my household.