Always wondered where he'd got to...

What's not currently on the box
Brock
HD

Always wondered where he'd got to...

Post by Brock »

I was gobsmacked to discover that Ezekiel ("Zeke") Emanuel, the loud-mouthed American contestant on the Oxford team in the first series of Now Get Out of That, is now a medical researcher and ethicist, a non-practicing oncologist, a vice provost and professor at the University of Pennsylvania and one of the architects of Obamacare as a policy adviser to the Office of Management and Budget. His brothers Rahm Emanuel (Mayor of Chicago) and Ari Emanuel (Hollywood agent) are equally distinguished, and rather better known now. See this article on his recent book "The Brothers Emanuel".

As he puts it: "Let’s be clear. I was the most famous Emanuel. I was the guy the British loved to hate."

GarethR
HD

Re: Always wondered where he'd got to...

Post by GarethR »

Brock wrote: I was the guy the British loved to hate."
I'm not aware of having heard of him before, and I certainly don't recall him ever being a househould name. I think he's overselling how notorious he was...

Peter Neill
625 lines

Post by Peter Neill »

Never heard of him (or the programme)

Ross
D-MAC

Post by Ross »

The show was great: an outward bounds type adventure over several instalments with piss-taking commentary by Bernard Falk.

Zeke was a stereotypical American loud-mouth who was made to look even worse by the editing and narration. He was just young and over-enthusiastic but made to look overbearing and arrogant. Falk would say something like "Zeke's being quiet for once" knowing full well that Zeke was about to speak, so he could then say, "Oops! Spoke too soon."

Zeke was certainly talked about at the time, in those three channel days, but really only during the four-week duration of the show. I think people loved to shudder at his pushiness rather than genuinely hated him.

In the first series, the teams were Oxford and Cambridge; in the second it was UK versus America, which was probably his only legacy. They wanted another Zeke, but couldn't find one.

Lord Brett
405 lines

Post by Lord Brett »

Yes, I remember that series. It was a shame that Bernard Falk never had another big success, as he was great fun. The whole series was refreshingly different in the early 80's and an interesting precursor to the tidal wave of crappy reality shows we've had to endure since.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

"Either you just take our word for it that this is one of the classic adventure game shows of all time, or we have to write pages of text explaining all the intricacies behind our belief." (UK Game Shows)

It was a ground-breaking show that ran in the Nationwide slot for four years while that programme was on holiday (1981-84). As Lord Brett says, in some ways it can be seen as a precursor to all the "crappy reality shows" that have happened since then, though I think it's never quite been equalled. Two teams followed an adventure course over roughly 72 hours, on successive weekends, though it was edited to make it look as though they were competing at the same time. They had to overcome a series of mental and physical challenges, with Bernard Falk providing a suitably ironic commentary. As I recall, there were actually two Oxford v Cambridge series followed by two UK v USA ones (it wasn't just students in the Oxford v Cambridge programmes, but a variety of people from the two towns). I think they changed it so that the programme could be sold to American cable TV, though I don't know how successful it was.

As for Zeke, he was certainly notorious for the run of the show, though probably not for long afterwards. I fondly remember a Radio Times cartoon showing him bound and gagged, with the rest of the team saying "well, that's the first obstacle dealt with"...

Clive
625 lines

Post by Clive »

This was one of my favourite programmes at the time, the tasks were actually quite challenging and sort of an 'Adventure Game' for grown-ups. It is one of those programmes I would like to see again and understand how it had aged. I watched a few episodes of 'The Great Egg Race' a while back and found it really tedious and plodding, but remember it was 'must see' when I was growing up.

Ross
D-MAC

Post by Ross »

I think the Adventure Game would stand up. It was shot entirely on 16mm, was briskly edited, and had an ironic commentary. It would probably seem amazingly modern in some respects. But in a good way. :-)

Duncan
625 lines

Post by Duncan »

Good lord - Zeke!!!

I loved "Now Get Out Of That" and my brother and I would avidly watch it. I also remember another team where Bernard Falk kept making cracks about one of the contestants who was a builder - until it came to making their shelter for the night, and all of a sudden his talents emerged and he made them a perfect snug "burrow" for the night.

Great show!

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

I think it was undersold in a way - tucked away in an early evening slot during the summer doldrums. It didn't even have a theme tune, just a series of sound effects over the title sequence. Had it occupied a more prominent place in the schedules it might be better remembered.

GarethR
HD

Post by GarethR »

If you search on YouTube you can find an upload of just under 10 minutes of Zeke-centric NGOOT that seems to have been put there by the man himself.

"You know, Zeke's right. He *is* right. Only the Brits have had enough and they won't even listen to him".

There are some clips of him at professional speaking engagements in more recent years, too.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Zeke - sorry, Ezekiel - was interviewed on Radio 4's Today programme at about 6.50am today about the health crisis in the US. I wonder how many listeners were aware of his earlier brief career on British TV?