Network - TV wish list

What's not currently on the box
SteveBoyce
405 lines

Network - TV wish list

Post by SteveBoyce »

It seems to have gone somewhat quiet on the Vintage TV side from Network. Are they still actively working on this or is it being wound down in favour of films????

Although many items on my wish list were in the meantime fulfilled (Gold Robbers!!!), I still have a few things from my wish list of 10 years ago which are still, well, on the wish list...

(and sticking to non-BBC items)

Numbers 1 and 2 by quite a long way are still, like for the last 10 years really

1. The Organisation, by Philip Mackie (and with Elaine Taylor the most beautiful woman in the world). This is such a great piece of TV (at least in my memory!), are there rights problems or something - it's truly hard to understand why this wasn't released.
2. Jamie - the children's fantasy series - given the rubbish that HAS been released, I don't know why this series has been so overlooked

Others

A place in the Sun - Yorkshire 70s anthology series
The Liars - I understand a good chunk still exists, would be great to see that again
Closing Ranks by Murray Smith
Centrepoint Channel 4 Thriller

There's quite a lot more unreleased 60s TV which although I suspect it's probably nothing special I'd be curious to see: the original series of "It's Dark Outside", the rest of "Fraud Squad", etc. etc.

(dreaming a bit given the rights problems) The Paradise Club, Murray Smith's masterwork

Zenith did a cut-price version of "The Sweeney" called "Thief Takers" and actually I think the first two seasons are decent entertainment. I'd buy that if it came up.

btw ... I'm assuming that S2 of Sweeney will also be released on Blu at some point...

The rest of "The Knock" I have a feeling it didn't sell well enough but maybe worth a second try if the economics have changed in the meantime??

Imogen Stubbs - Anna Lee, well easy on the eye

Going even further down the likelihood list, the first 2 seasons of the Vice in proper widescreen as seen on ITV3!!!

Mike S
D-MAC

Re: Network - TV wish list

Post by Mike S »

Watching the Mel Smith tribute over Xmas, I suddenly remembered Smith and Goody - surely an obvious Network release. (Although did it feature lots of book extracts, making it problematic?)

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=22&hilit=Wish

To quote from the above thread...

however, let's keep the new place tidy and put any wishlists here.

Ross
D-MAC

Post by Ross »

Soldier & Me
Quest of Eagles
The Gemini Factor

Plus more Whicker, World in Action, Tempo, Magpie, and Dramarama.

Mike S
D-MAC

Post by Mike S »

I know it's owned by all sorts of awkward people, but I'd really like to see more early Channel 4 stuff released. Particularly magazine shows and general ephemera, from Whatever You Want onwards.

MDK
405 lines

Post by MDK »

Assuming ITV shows only:

New tiles:
Saturday Night Thriller

TV Eye (still waiting for This Week though..)

Candid Camera

Game for a Laugh

Tiswas (some full shows)

(plus the seemingly unrealistic prospects of Sharp Intake of Breath and This is Your Life)

Plus more of:
Whicker; World in Action; Whodunnit; Crossroads; Magpie; Jokers Wild and Metal Mickey (i.e. series 3)

Would als0 like to see some 80s Ch4 stuff - Who Dares Wins would be good.

But there is a lot more that I want from the Beeb than from Network thee days.

mariocki
405 lines

Post by mariocki »

Mike S wrote:I know it's owned by all sorts of awkward people, but I'd really like to see more early Channel 4 stuff released. Particularly magazine shows and general ephemera, from Whatever You Want onwards.

I'd love to see Whatever You Want again, indeed I was only thinking about it the other day.

Mickey
625 lines

Post by Mickey »

"The Good Guys", starring Nigel Havers and Keith Barron. Yorkshire TV, 1992.

SDG1970
405 lines

Post by SDG1970 »

Network have done a grand job in satiating 'archive interest' these past 10+ years or so - the 'traffic' on this Forum recently is testament to that (imo). As I recall, there were many 'heated' debates regarding un-released material on here a good few years back, but it has all since settled somewhat in recent times (perhaps boringly so..?) Personally, I'd like to see Network 'crack' the BBC archive; though my 'wants' are somewhat superficial camparatively speaking. It's unlikely to happen I reckon - so the 'pirate' market still exists and still satiates a very small percentage/contingent, though that small 'contigent' is equally ready to pay 'top dollar' for the stuff they want as and when you are ready to release it......

Robin Davies
405 lines

Post by Robin Davies »

Time for my regular request for The Intruder.

gogglebox
405 lines

Post by gogglebox »

Boney The half Aboriginal Detective is top of my wants list for release which was I believe an Anglo/Australian production starring James Laurenson why this lovely series hasn't been picked up and released by Network is hard to Fathom.There was a short feature made at the time the series was made about the making of the series,and there has been a lovely documentary about The Boney Stories by Arthur Upfield made just a few years back for the Australian documentary channel SBS. It would be very a popular release if the all 26 episodes and the two features I have mentioned were released as a boxset

Mike S
D-MAC

Post by Mike S »

I still want to know what on earth the rights problem is with Me and My Girl. I don't believe for a second Network haven't had it on their own wishlist for years.

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

Still The Frighteners and Tales of Unease for me, and those daytime dramas of the 70s, Couples, Rooms, Marked Personal, From Maddie with Love... and Hold the Back Page while we're there...

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

There's still not enough '60s 'low-brow' stuff for my liking. Quizzes and game shows were massive in those days, but are tragically under-represented in the archives.

Surely enough examples were recorded for at least one DVD release?

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

Oh and Country Matters!

JWG
D-MAC

Post by JWG »

Simon36 wrote:Oh and Country Matters!
I'm guessing that you know that it's out on Region 1?

Colin Robertson
405 lines

Post by Colin Robertson »

I've asked for these before and, yes, I was scolded then because all three are BBC programmes. Nevertheless, I shall ask for them again:

Morgan's Boy (1984) - apparently Gareth Thomas's greatest performance
Troublemakers (1990) - something I vaguely remember from my childhood and would dearly love to see again
Warship (mid '70s) - seems pretty good

Other than that, I'd like to see any dark/high-brow '70s shows released. Anthology shows like Against the Crowd and No Exit would be interesting too, as would the entire run of Sutherland's Law.

longtimelurker
405 lines

Post by longtimelurker »

A long time lurker here (hence the name). The subject of Network's current slate has been the spur to my contributing!

Things certainly seem uninspired on the Network front lately. I don't know why it should be as there is lots of strong ITV material still to bring out. My nominations would be Hancock (ATV series) if they can clear it, The Root Of All Evil, The Intruder, The Odd Man and another vote for Tales Of Unease and The Frighteners. More volumes of ABC Tempo and Armchair Theatre would be really welcome too. On the topic of single plays, there are so many of these strands worthy of bringing out. Saturday Night Theatre, Playhouse, all those Anglia plays etc. It would be good if Network could do a deal for some of the remaining Rediffusion material such as No Hiding Place and Half Hour Story.

There are still so many quality programmes that come within their scope, there is really no need yet to bother with the mediocre stuff they have suddenly started to focus on. Too much cinema at the expense of television as well.

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

JWG wrote:
Thank you, I had completely forgotten that actually! Seems odd Network have missed it though.

I also would plug for more signle plays after Plays for Britain and Storyboard. Some of the surviving Saturday Night Theatres look mouth-watering. More Tempo, and Aquarius, would be very welcome too.

I'd also love to see more Film on Four since P'tang Yang and Walter have been released.

didi-5
625 lines

Post by didi-5 »

JWG wrote:
Not all the episodes though. Does anyone know why, or is it simply that the Region 1 release only includes episodes shown on US television as Masterpiece Theatre?

JWG
D-MAC

Post by JWG »

didi-5 wrote:
JWG wrote:
Not all the episodes though. Does anyone know why, or is it simply that the Region 1 release only includes episodes shown on US television as Masterpiece Theatre?
Cor.Just when I thought I'd said something right!

ctraynor
D-MAC

Post by ctraynor »

The Flaxton Boys. Freewheelers season 1.
Mike S wrote:I know it's owned by all sorts of awkward people, but I'd really like to see more early Channel 4 stuff released. Particularly magazine shows and general ephemera, from Whatever You Want onwards.
Good and Bad at Games, a fairly early Channel 4 play. Among other things, the first time I heard how Cream's Badge went. I was watching it with my older brother who confirmed what the song was.

Was P'Tang Yang Kibberbang released?

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

ctraynor wrote:The Flaxton Boys. Freewheelers season 1.
Good and Bad at Games, a fairly early Channel 4 play. Among other things, the first time I heard how Cream's Badge went. I was watching it with my older brother who confirmed what the song was.

Was P'Tang Yang Kibberbang released?
Funnily enough Good and Bad at Games was one of the very Film on Fours I was thinking of!

Ross
D-MAC

Post by Ross »

ctraynor wrote:Good and Bad at Games, a fairly early Channel 4 play. Among other things, the first time I heard how Cream's Badge went.?
Same here. The song soon became (and remains) a favourite of mine.

At the time I thought Good and Bad was a bit of a cut-price If..., but I much later read the script in William Boyd's School Ties paperback and think a second watch would reveal that it has its own merits.

The other Boyd School Ties play - Dutch Girls - is also worthy of a release. In fact, a School Ties double bill set would be rather lovely.

SteveBoyce
405 lines

Post by SteveBoyce »

JWG wrote:
Country Matters - YES - The region 1 release is only a selection - would love to see that too

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

Ross wrote:
ctraynor wrote:Good and Bad at Games, a fairly early Channel 4 play. Among other things, the first time I heard how Cream's Badge went.?
Same here. The song soon became (and remains) a favourite of mine.

At the time I thought Good and Bad was a bit of a cut-price If..., but I much later read the script in William Boyd's School Ties paperback and think a second watch would reveal that it has its own merits.

The other Boyd School Ties play - Dutch Girls - is also worthy of a release. In fact, a School Ties double bill set would be rather lovely.
Likewise. I have them both albeit on well worn copies, and think Good and Bad is really quite excellent, although I always wondered what happened to the actor who played the lead who seemed to vanish straight after. It ends rather unsatisfactorily but is a great piece otherwise.

ctraynor
D-MAC

Post by ctraynor »

Depends what you mean by unsatisfactory. I thought the ending was a warning against fighting old battles in one's mind even though the Flashman-like behaviour of the "old boys" in their schooldays was appalling. A difficult message to take given what happens in the film but that makes it even more worth thinking about.

The use of Badge over the end credits adds to this, particularly the lines "and you'd better get yourself up off the ground, before they bring the curtain down".

longtimelurker
405 lines

Post by longtimelurker »

I would second Tales Of Unease and The Frighteners. Also near the top of my list would be Suspicion, The Root Of All Evil, The Odd Man, Front Page Story, Saturday / Sunday Night Theatre and The Intruder. I'm also still waiting for the second series of Fraud Squad.

Brian F
D-MAC

Post by Brian F »

Alexander the Greatest, even if 11 episodes are shown on Lost Shows as being B&W 16mm copies and only two on PAL 2" colour VT. As it is ATV they might find some more originals if they released it.

Ross
D-MAC

Post by Ross »

longtimelurker wrote:I would second Tales Of Unease and The Frighteners. Also near the top of my list would be Suspicion, The Root Of All Evil, The Odd Man, Front Page Story, Saturday / Sunday Night Theatre and The Intruder. I'm also still waiting for the second series of Fraud Squad.
You're El V from Roobarb's and I claim my five pounds. ;-)

Back on topic: I was really looking forward to This Week - and had my fingers crossed that the Timothy Davey episode would be included - but the release now seems to have been given a 'holding pattern' date ie. postponed indefinitely. What went wrong?