Network - TV wish list

What's not currently on the box
Brian F
D-MAC

Re: Network - TV wish list

Post by Brian F »

Also The Misfit 1970-71, again most episodes are only 16mm B&W, not 2" colour, but they released "Spyder's Web" and that was the same.

longtimelurker
405 lines

Post by longtimelurker »

Ross wrote:
longtimelurker wrote:I would second Tales Of Unease and The Frighteners. Also near the top of my list would be Suspicion, The Root Of All Evil, The Odd Man, Front Page Story, Saturday / Sunday Night Theatre and The Intruder. I'm also still waiting for the second series of Fraud Squad.
You're El V from Roobarb's and I claim my five pounds. ;-)

Back on topic: I was really looking forward to This Week - and had my fingers crossed that the Timothy Davey episode would be included - but the release now seems to have been given a 'holding pattern' date ie. postponed indefinitely. What went wrong?
'Fraid not but I saw that list and it nudged me to agree with much of it. I also would like to see Alexander The Greatest mentioned above.

The Black Nun
625 lines

Post by The Black Nun »

COME BACK LUCY.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

The Black Nun wrote:COME BACK LUCY.
Is that the one with the house drawn by M. C. Escher at the start?

Mike S
D-MAC

Post by Mike S »

Talking of Come Back Lucy, what's happened to the Look Back On... compilations? I was hoping they might do a few 80s volumes.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Either, you've had a row with your Girlfriend, or you would like the classic serial released.

If it's the former, I hope everything works out for you, if it's the latter, I agree.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Ross
D-MAC

Post by Ross »

Ok, Network, I'm begging you now.

It's four years since the last batch of Look-Back. So pleeeeease release Soldier & Me.

Pretty please.

With knobs on.

Shaqui
625 lines

Post by Shaqui »

Ross wrote:Ok, Network, I'm begging you now.

It's four years since the last batch of Look-Back. So pleeeeease release Soldier & Me.

Pretty please.

With knobs on.
I interviewed their designer Martin Cater a while back, and he admitted the four excellent volumes of Look-Back pretty much exhausted what was then available for 1970s TV. Look-in was not as popular in the 1980s, or even really the same publication, so he felt it wouldn't have been the incentive that it was for the 1970s style DVDs. Also, by this decade, more people were getting VHS, and so while there are probably a number of 1980s shows people fondly remember, that decade didn't really have the pull for a similarly themed release.

The 1960s is another matter - but what would be the umbrella theme?

rhystp
405 lines

Post by rhystp »

It would be nice to see more Shelley. Also releases of Me and My Girl (tho this seems to have some rights issues), My Good Friend and Root into Europe.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

I'd go along with most of the suggestions, such as "The Intruder", "Come Back Lucy" "Alexander The Greatest", "Shelley", "Me & My Girl".

But also "Russ Abbots Madhouse", more "Cannon And Ball", "Jamie", "Nobody's House", "Luna", more "Jokers Wild", "My Good Woman", "Bottle Boys", "The Foundation", "Harriet's Back In Town", "Beryl's Lot" and "Marked Personal".

Another plea for more "Metal Mickey", and a re-release for the first two series.

Also, this year marks the 50th anniversary of "Crossroads", with a Doc coming out on DVD called "Return To Crossroads", later in the year, I think.

It's by far, my favourite of the soaps, and for various reasons I fell way behind with the DVD releases, I was just about to try to catch up when the fire put paid to that.

They go for silly money ( when you can find them), so a re-release of the all the sets, please, or even the big box set, (although the cardboard sleeves were not popular) a limited edition two volume set would be better.

longtimelurker
405 lines

Post by longtimelurker »

Shaqui wrote:
Ross wrote:Ok, Network, I'm begging you now.

Pretty please.

With knobs on.
I interviewed their designer Martin Cater a while back, and he admitted the four excellent volumes of Look-Back pretty much exhausted what was then available for 1970s TV. Look-in was not as popular in the 1980s, or even really the same publication, so he felt it wouldn't have been the incentive that it was for the 1970s style DVDs. Also, by this decade, more people were getting VHS, and so while there are probably a number of 1980s shows people fondly remember, that decade didn't really have the pull for a similarly themed release.

The 1960s is another matter - but what would be the umbrella theme?
Done in a TV Comic style maybe? I would love to see such a thing really. There are good possibilities such as Flower Of Gloster, Origami and Orlando. Maybe even Snip and Snap or Foo Foo.

Ben M
405 lines

Post by Ben M »

Divided by ITV company. Favourites highlighted in bold.

Anglia - Anything More Would Be Greedy, Atom Spies, Dame of Sark, The Fortune Hunters, Growing Rich, A Killing On The Exchange, Knightmare, Menace Unseen, Miss. Morison's Ghosts, Orson Welles' Great Mysteries

Associated Rediffusion - Complete series or surviving episodes of Blackmail, A Man of our Times, No Hiding Place, Object Z, Orlando, Our Man at St, Mark's, Riviera Police.

ATV - Crime of Passion, The Dancing Years, Dangerous Davies - The Last Detective, Death of a Princess, Diamonds, Echoes of Louisa, The Foundation, Fire Crackers, For Maddie with Love, My Good Woman, A Place To Hide, A Sharp Intake of Breath, The Siege of Golden Hill, Suspicion, Tropic, The Voodoo Factor

Central - About Face, Charlie, The Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady, Luna, Mog, Old Boy Network, Seal Morning, The Secret World of Polly Flint, Seekers, Unnatural Causes, Young Gifted & Broke

Granada - After the War, Breakthrough at Reykjavik, Capstick's Law, Chessgame, Cluedo, Country Matters, Cribb (reissue with pilot), Dark Ages, El CID, The Flower of Gloster, Foxy Lady, Game Set and Match, The Intruder, The Last Train, Love Among The Artists, Maupassant, The Odd Man, Paris 1900, The Ray Bradbury Theatre (There Was And Old Woman/The Small Assassin), Return of the Antelope, Saki, Send In The Girls, Shades of Darkness, Soldier and Me, The Stories of D.H. Lawrence, Time For Murder, Victoria Regina, Victorian Scandals, The Victorians, The Villains, The Woman in Black, Young Sherlock

HTV - Pretenders, The Shining Pyramid, The Snow Spider trilogy (The Snow Spider/The Chestnut Soldier/Emlyn's Moon), Westway

LWT - A.D.A.M., Diamond Crack Diamond, Duck Patrol, Dutch Girls, Forgotten, The Frighteners, Helen - A Woman of Today, Holding The Fort, Intimate Strangers, Jamie, The Many Wives of Patrick, Marlowe - Private Eye, Me and My Girl, Murder on the Moon, Not With A Bang, The Saint (Simon Dutton), Six Plays by Alan Bennett, Tales of Unease, Ticket to Ride, The Top Secret Life of Edgar Briggs

Meridian - Eye of the Storm, Under The Hammer

Scottish - The Campbells, Charles Endell Esquire, The Flight of the Heron (1968), Redgauntlet, Shadow of the Stone

Southern - Brendon Chase, Operation Patch, Whiz Kid's Guide

Thames - Accidental Death of an Anarchist, Anyone for Denis?, Cover, Death On The Rock, The Fourth Floor, Frontier, The Fuzz, The Gemini Factor, Jukes of Piccadilly, London Belongs To Me, Making News, A Murder of Quality, Nobody's Hero, The One and Only Phyllis Dixey, Pretorius, Stig of the Dump(1981), Titmuss Regained, Tom Dick and Harriet, Worlds Beyond

TVS - Appointment with Fear: House of Glass, The Brief, The Castle of Adventure, CATS Eyes, Day To Remember, Gentlemen and Players, The Haunting of Cassie Palmer, Knights of God, Mandela, Mr. Majeika, Murderers Among Us - The Simon Wiesenthal Story, 92 Grosvenor Street, No. 73, Perfect Scoundrels, Rules of Engagement, The Ruth Rendell Mysteries, The Storyteller, That's Love, The Witches and the Grinnygogg

Tyne Tees - Barriers, Kappatoo, Nobody's House, Quest of Eagles

Westward - Drake's Venture

Yorkshire - After Julius, All Change, Beryl's Lot, Demob, Farrington of the FO, Fiddlers Three, The Flaxton Boys, The Glory Boys, The Good Guys, Hunting Venus, Killer Contract/Exposed/Waiting, The Organisation, The Outsider, Thundercloud, The Winning Streak, Yellowthread Street

longtimelurker
405 lines

Post by longtimelurker »

Agree with everything there!!!! Lovely to see Object Z, No Hiding Place or Orlando particularly though. Are Network sleepwalking at the moment as regards interesting tv releases???

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Journey of a lifetime ABC 1961

Although this has a religious tone, it might make a fascinating look at the Middle East prior to the major conflicts?

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

longtimelurker wrote:Agree with everything there!!!! Lovely to see Object Z, No Hiding Place or Orlando particularly though. Are Network sleepwalking at the moment as regards interesting tv releases???

AR productions, which are not within Network's remit.

Bodie
625 lines

Post by Bodie »

I'd like the Steam Video Company.

longtimelurker
405 lines

Post by longtimelurker »

ian b wrote:
longtimelurker wrote:Agree with everything there!!!! Lovely to see Object Z, No Hiding Place or Orlando particularly though. Are Network sleepwalking at the moment as regards interesting tv releases???

Yes I know that thanks. I was agreeing generally with what others were posting by suggesting others (and Rediffusion shows were mentioned).

Network do seem to be sleepwalking at the moment though, regardless of which archive we are talking about.

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

longtimelurker wrote:
ian b wrote:

Yes I know that thanks.
Just pointing out that it's highly unlikely that there will be any AR productions released by Network in the foreseeable future. Your post was a handy one to quote.

As this is a wishlist for material that folk would like to see come out from Network, it may as well play out within the known parameters rather than just be a general catch-all thread - of which there's already one running. Otherwise I' may as well add LONDON AFTER MIDNIGHT here.

longtimelurker
405 lines

Post by longtimelurker »

ian b wrote: Just pointing out that it's highly unlikely that there will be any AR productions released by Network in the foreseeable future. Your post was a handy one to quote.

As this is a wishlist for material that folk would like to see come out from Network, it may as well play out within the known parameters rather than just be a general catch-all thread - of which there's already one running. Otherwise I' may as well add LONDON AFTER MIDNIGHT here.
Yes I can see the logic in that but people will simply list the favourite shows they would like to see released full stop, rather than know of or take into account just the stuff that is immediately possible. It may be useful though to list Rediffusion and other obscure series as it reminds the release companies that these things are sitting there.

Some more ABC releases would be good though as well as Granada's Flower Of Gloster, which seems to have a fan club of its own, and The Intruder.

Brian F
D-MAC

Post by Brian F »

longtimelurker wrote:
Some more ABC releases would be good though as well as Granada's Flower Of Gloster, which seems to have a fan club of its own, and The Intruder.
Someone who posts on the Kalaidoscope facebook page has emailed Network who replied that Them Flower of Gloster was not on their current schedule, so asks that all interested should email them to show there is a demand. I would have thought that if The Tyrant King sold well and The Owl Service, that this would.

longtimelurker
405 lines

Post by longtimelurker »

Brian F wrote:
longtimelurker wrote:
Someone who posts on the Kalaidoscope facebook page has emailed Network who replied that Them Flower of Gloster was not on their current schedule, so asks that all interested should email them to show there is a demand. I would have thought that if The Tyrant King sold well and The Owl Service, that this would.
Yes I can't understand that thinking. Network have released seemingly the most obscure shows in the past, some of them on substandard copies. So something like Gloster which seems to have a lot of people recalling it would seem a no brainer. Do you have a link to where we can e-mail them?

Brian F
D-MAC

Post by Brian F »

The contact and email given there is Omar Mansur Email: it@networkdvd.co.uk. I'll give it a try myself.

simon10011
405 lines

Post by simon10011 »

I would love to see a Thames series from 1991 called Time Riders with the lovely Haydn Gwynne. May still have it on Betamax somewhere but the chances of finding it and then playing it are small!!

videoking
625 lines

Post by videoking »

simon10011 wrote:I would love to see a Thames series from 1991 called Time Riders with the lovely Haydn Gwynne. May still have it on Betamax somewhere but the chances of finding it and then playing it are small!!
Time Riders is available from one of those download sites we're not suppose to talk about, I just finished snagging it.

Michael
625 lines

Post by Michael »

Colin Robertson wrote:I've asked for these before and, yes, I was scolded then because all three are BBC programmes. Nevertheless, I shall ask for them again:

Morgan's Boy (1984) - apparently Gareth Thomas's greatest performance
Troublemakers (1990) - something I vaguely remember from my childhood and would dearly love to see again
Warship (mid '70s) - seems pretty good

Other than that, I'd like to see any dark/high-brow '70s shows released. Anthology shows like Against the Crowd and No Exit would be interesting too, as would the entire run of Sutherland's Law.
Looks like one of your wish list is on it's way, according to the BBFC, though perhaps not from Network.

longtimelurker
405 lines

Post by longtimelurker »

If we're mentioning BBC stuff, one of the dramas of theirs I would most like to see released is The Expert with Marius Goring. It ran for a long time (1968 - 1976) and although the larger portion exist overall, a lot of the earlier ones are b/w. Shouldn't be a problem though as many series with the same status have been released this way.

videoking
625 lines

Post by videoking »

Got it from one of the torrent sites we can't mention. The episodes must be from work prints as they all have time codes at the top.

MDK
405 lines

Post by MDK »

Terrific news on Warship - in my Top 3 most wanted. I guess it will be from Acorn or Simply Home.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Brian F wrote:Alexander the Greatest, even if 11 episodes are shown on Lost Shows as being B&W 16mm copies and only two on PAL 2" colour VT. As it is ATV they might find some more originals if they released it.
I'd like to nominate this one too, loved it at the time, and since finding the excellent theme tune, on YT, which brought back memories of watching it, I want to see it, even more now.!

Look at the names attached to it, as well:

Gary Warren
Adrienne Posta
Sydney Tafler
Libby Morris
Phillip Hinchcliffe
Shaun O' Riordan

The Black Nun
625 lines

Post by The Black Nun »

videoking wrote:
Got it from one of the torrent sites we can't mention. The episodes must be from work prints as they all have time codes at the top.
Well I did too but I never watched it because Network put out episode 1 on dvd and i was waiting for the rest. Considering the way things have gone I guess I'll have to settle for that, but it is not how I want to see it.