PR: The Norman Conquests: The Complete Series [Network]

What's not currently on the box
Mr_Wolf
Potentate in Perpetuity

PR: The Norman Conquests: The Complete Series [Network]

Post by Mr_Wolf »

This masterly adaptation of Alan Ayckbourn’s celebrated trio of plays encompasses a remarkable range of talent – from multi-award-winning producers Verity Lambert and David Susskind, to a cast that includes Tom Conti, Penelope Keith, Richard Briers and Penelope Wilton.

Employing a typically inventive device (which Ayckbourn would further explore in 1999 with the simultaneous staging of the two-act House & Garden), the trilogy presents a comically fraught weekend from three different perspectives, as family and in-laws gather at the decaying country home of their bedridden mother, the drink flows, and hidden enmities, intimate secrets and uncomfortable truths emerge through the veneer of jollity and civility.

The Norman Conquests was phenomenally successful both in London’s West End in 1974 and on Broadway the following year, and this Thames production similarly triumphed at the BAFTA Awards in 1977, earning Keith an award for Best Actress and a joint nomination for Best Drama Series for Lambert and director Herbert Wise.

http://networkonair.com/shop/1871-norma ... 07049.html

Stop quoting the law. We have swords.

Simon36
HD

Re: PR: The Norman Conquests: The Complete Series [Network]

Post by Simon36 »

Excellent, been on my wants list for quite sometime. And glad Network aren't stopping their vintage tv releases despite it mainly bring movies of late.

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

I used to have off-air audio recordings of two of the three parts of this, listened to them loads of times. Haven't seen it in donkeys' years, be nice to watch it again.
We all have to eat a peck of dirt before we die.

bent_halo
Committee

Post by bent_halo »

A very welcome replacement for my shrill copies of the first DVD release, which used to go for silly money.

I'd be making more of a link with The Good Life casting if I was Network. Certainly the stage version (with a slightly different cast) has a connection.

didi-5
625 lines

Post by didi-5 »

Lovely, and yes, I will be able to get rid of my grey copies as well. Nice one Network!