Google Streetview and Maps Archive TV locations thread

What's not currently on the box
Ian Wegg
625 lines

Re: Google Streetview and Maps Archive TV locations thread

Post by Ian Wegg »

Here's one that had been causing some head scratching on Facebook. A 1988 episode of Rumpole of the Bailey - "Rumpole and the Age of Miracles", has Leo McKern defending a Canon in an Ecclesiastical Court. Scenes of the fictional city and Cathedral of Lawnchester were shot in Chichester, West Sussex, and most of them are easily recognisable...

However, the one that has been causing confusion is a street scene that didn't look at all familiar to the members of the "Flashback Chichester" group.

Now finally identified as Eden Street, Kingston upon Thames with Chichester Cathedral pasted onto the skyline.

https://goo.gl/maps/HgivYWZyxpiBf9hk8

(Screen grabs courtesy of David Haynes and location Philip Rippingdale on Facebook)

Scary
625 lines

Post by Scary »

I recognised Eden Street in Kingston instantly, how odd they did that, presumably there wasn't an equivalent modern looking street in Chicester? The choice of Kingston presumably because it's just down the road from Teddington

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Scary wrote:I recognised Eden Street in Kingston instantly, how odd they did that, presumably there wasn't an equivalent modern looking street in Chicester? The choice of Kingston presumably because it's just down the road from Teddington
I think it was something like a 30 mile radius, so well outside the limit.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Don Satchley
625 lines

Post by Don Satchley »

Just started watching series 2 of Breakaway with Martin Jarvis and it is set in Southwold, under a different name. One of the opening shots is this shot. Also, later in the episode Sam meets a local in a pub and they go outside. It is the Harbour Inn at Southwold harbour.

Don Satchley
625 lines

Post by Don Satchley »

We have been watching After Life on Netflix with Ricky Gervais. His house is located in The Vale of Health in Hampstead https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.56243 ... 2?hl=en-GB

Don Satchley
625 lines

Post by Don Satchley »

I realise that I giving cdnbob a run for his money here as the only contributor to a single thread (the Chromakey one) but I do wonder sometimes if it is just me and Ian Wegg who read this thread? Does anyone find these location titbits useful? I hope they do but to be honest I am not convinced ;)

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

I don't find them useful, but they are always interesting.
I'm on a forum which is entirely based on film locations, and also one concerning road transport in films, so you might gather that it's one of my 'favourite things'.
"TV locations and Transpot in Movies..."
Over to you, Mr. Hammerstein...

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Yes, I like the thread as well, there is still tons of stuff to discover.

There are one or two good sites for the subject, but mainly film, such as Reelstreets, and also a great one for the "Carry On's", The Whippit Inn, but for TV, the only one I have come across is for "Doctor Who" locations.

Oh, there was one for "The Tonorrow People", but I think that's gone now, loads of Thames shows I'd like to identify the locations, and BBC shows as well, such as the cottages used in "My Wife Next Door".

swills
405 lines

Post by swills »

Like 'brigham' maybe not 'useful' as such, but very interesting, love checking locations, even more so if I have been there, or hope to go to the area:-)

It is also fascinatiing to see how the places have changed over the years,

so the more locations we can get the better as far as I am concerned :-)

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Some of the changes are not for the better either, some shocking ones like the roundabout that appeared in "Carry On Cabby", although some thankfully are the same such as the two lovely houses in "The Green Man".