Google Streetview and Maps Archive TV locations thread

What's not currently on the box
Don Satchley
625 lines

Google Streetview and Maps Archive TV locations thread

Post by Don Satchley »

This is the location of Radio West in Shoestring, on Welsh Back in Bristol.

Anthony McKay
405 lines

Re: Google Streetview and Maps Archive TV locations thread

Post by Anthony McKay »

Looks more like a Van der Valk location than Shoestring - De Pirvate Oor?

Westcountry
405 lines

Post by Westcountry »

THIS is the location of Dirk's office in Dirk Gently,
He could almost see Radio West from the back of his office!

Don Satchley
625 lines

Post by Don Satchley »

Riber Castle is a location near Matlock in Derbyshire which is a key feature in Shane Meadows' Dead Man's Shoes.

carryonline
405 lines

Post by carryonline »

Here's a link to a Google Map I created showing the main locations for Public Eye in Brighton

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msid= ... 5edf&msa=0

I'll post the Windsor and Chertsey ones when I can find them

Don Satchley
625 lines

Post by Don Satchley »

Has anyone been able to find out the After Henry house location yet? No luck my end yet. If I knew which suburb of London that would be something.

Don Satchley
625 lines

Post by Don Satchley »

Nice location guide I must say. Had a reply from Simon Brett about After Henry. He recalls the house being in Thames Ditton. I have looked for a while but still cannot find it. Can anyone help?
Cheers
Don

Don Satchley
625 lines

Post by Don Satchley »

A tv location from upcoming CBeebies series Old Jack's Boat here . The town is Staithes and often crops up on tv, last time I recall it being used was on the Body Farm.
Don

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Post by Ian Wegg »

Perhaps not exactly a "location" unless you count Saturday Banana (which I do).

Currently the pictures on the southbound carriageway of the Northam Bridge in Southampton were taken in Oct 2008 while the northbound carriageway ones are from June2012.

Therefore if you stand on the southbound side and look west then take one step forward, you can watch the Meridian / ex-TVS / ex-Southern studios disappear before your eyes.

~iw

Westcountry
405 lines

Post by Westcountry »

From location at the rear of the Northam studios you can also still see pre/post demolition by toggling back/forward.

Am I correct in thinking that the block of portakabins to the right were a hangover from TVS taking over the Southern site, and those refered to in the Stilgoe song about "Portakabin TV"?

The neighbouring Summers Street was used in Noah's Castle [Southern, 1979] and Dramarama: The Young Person's Guide to Getting Their Ball Back [TVS, 1983], John Albasiny and friends play Football in the street in the later.

Don Satchley
625 lines

Post by Don Satchley »

I may have posted this on the old site but here is the location of Teletubbies surreal land. It is better viewed from the satellite image than Streetview. Now there is a pond where the series was filmed. I wonder sometimes why such locations aren't turned into tourist attractions. The Teletubbies was huge in its time worldwide and being near Stratford is not far from the tourist trail. A missed opportunity?
Don

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Post by Ian Wegg »

I just went to Google Maps to look at the location of the Famous Five episode ...Smuggler's Top - the village of Burley in the New Forest. Dropping into streetview at a random road I was surprised to find myself inside a hairdressers ... "Cut Above", Burley.

Not being in need of a haircut I left but couldn't resist a browse around "Face The Music" next door! How long has Google Streetview been doing pedestrian areas? This could open up a lot more possibilities.

~iw

jno
405 lines

Post by jno »

Love those Public Eye locations! Excellent work.

On an-going project (currently on series 9) here are the majority of locations used in 'Minder':
http://www.minder.org/locations/index2.htm

Richard A
625 lines

Post by Richard A »

Here are my two contributions to the old site:

Oh, yes, I've got one which I figured out recently: Bill Kirby's (John Gregson) wife's house in Southern Television's 1976 Thriller Dangerous Knowledge and, giving an insight into location filming economies, just yards away in real life but a whole car journey away in the series, the spot where his French colleague was found dead in his 2CV (shown after dark).

I know this area well as it's on my regular exercise cycling route.

...and, in response to a question about the level crossing from Tales of the Unexpected: The Flypaper...

Well, the bit with the railway crossing near the end is at Stonea, although the phone box is no longer evident.

I haven't been able to work out where the distant views of Ely cathedral were taken from, but it's possibly from this road with a long lens.

Mike S
D-MAC

Post by Mike S »

Most people probably know this one, but: the newsagent from which John Cleese did his silly walk

mariocki
405 lines

Post by mariocki »

Ian Wegg wrote:I just went to Google Maps to look at the location of the Famous Five episode ...Smuggler's Top - the village of Burley in the New Forest. Dropping into streetview at a random road I was surprised to find myself inside a hairdressers ... "Cut Above", Burley.

Not being in need of a haircut I left but couldn't resist a browse around "Face The Music" next door! How long has Google Streetview been doing pedestrian areas? This could open up a lot more possibilities.

~iw

Yes, they seem to have done a fair amount of updating recently - you can now wander around Portmeirion too.

Don Satchley
625 lines

Post by Don Satchley »

Any CBeebies fans out there? Well the series Big City Park that is showing weekdays at the moment was filmed at Ormeau Park

Don Satchley
625 lines

Post by Don Satchley »

I have just been looking at the terrific Shoestring Locations site and there has been some major scouting work going on and most of the locations are done. A great job. One outstanding location that I have often wondered about is still in need of identifying. Its the hospital where Eddie was originally treated prior to the series. The actor Alan David plays his old doctor and it appears in Higher Ground. The scene involves a hospital setting with Eddie and his doctor walking between buildings under a covered walkway. I have often thought it looked like St. Lawrence Hospital in Chepstow which I visited in the 1980s and I seem to remember those types of walkways. Trouble is I cannot find any images of said hospital, it was knocked down some years ago. Anyone know how I could find some photos of the old place? It is a long shot as it is unusual to have a Welsh location for Shoestring, but not unprecedented. Any help would be most welcome. Whilst I am at it I know I have asked a few times before but does anyone know where After Henry was shot, the house exterior scenes? One day... ;)
Cheers
Don

smorodina
405 lines

Post by smorodina »

As the show was mentioned on another thread recently, here is the Maidstone wine bar used a lot in Cat's Eyes:
Drake's Wine Bar as I think it was then known. Now has an ugly ring road passing in front of it.

I was in the local shopping centre while a film crew was filming an actor going up on the escalator, in the show it was meant to be Heathrow!
Andy Hurwitz

Don Satchley
625 lines

Post by Don Satchley »

In the first episode of series 3 of Sherlock, I noticed that an early scene featuring Rupert Graves at a Coffee outlet was filmed in Cardiff's civic centre. Here is a google streetview image of the location.

Blizzard
405 lines

Post by Blizzard »

This is the Steyning bypass in West Sussex, which was the road that Bill Masen drove his army truck down in the BBC series Day of the Triffids:

http://goo.gl/maps/ivja1

The road had yet to be opened prior to filming hence if you watch the series the tarmac is spick and span and the road side nice and neat!

The link below shows the area where Bill and Jo visited the beach and sheltered from the rain:

http://goo.gl/maps/HdyYD

Don Satchley
625 lines

Post by Don Satchley »

During the opening scenes of Sherlock S03E02 The Sign of Three this location was used as a Court entrance. I think it is called the Victoria Rooms if memory serves and is part of Bristol University?
Don

Don Satchley
625 lines

Post by Don Satchley »

Here is the entrance to the Police Station in BBC's Hinterland. It is actually the entrance to Aberystwyth Magistrate's Court.

Don Satchley
625 lines

Post by Don Satchley »

Another Hinterland location in Aberystwyth, this block of flats was used as the home of one of the suspects in episode 1. If you turn towards the sea from this view you can also see the home of a suspect from episode 2 (the flat with the railings where the child phoned the police).

Don Satchley
625 lines

Post by Don Satchley »

This is the location of the first murder in episode 1 of Hinterland. Please tell me to stop if my posts in this thread are of no interest.
Don

Al Dupres
405 lines

Post by Al Dupres »

Having enjoyed Hinterland, I'm also enjoying seeing the locations, so thanks from me!

Al

Don Satchley
625 lines

Post by Don Satchley »

Thanks Al, it is reassuring that someone is reading the posts lol. To that end, here is the location, again in Borth, of the shed of the ex-handyman who worked at the children's home.

Don Satchley
625 lines

Post by Don Satchley »

Also here is that lovely hotel in Devil's Bridge, again from Hinterland. No sign of the spiral path on google maps though ...

Richard A
625 lines

Post by Richard A »

Don Satchley wrote:Also here is that lovely hotel in Devil's Bridge, again from Hinterland. No sign of the spiral path on google maps though ...
I actually stayed there for a few nights one wet October five or six years ago, from whence I explored several locations including the abbey at Strata Florida, the bucolic wonders of the Hafod estate, the Vale of Rheidol railway and the gorge itself below the hotel. Not a bad hotel with a very friendly staff, though one oddity was that the bathroom window had no curtains, it wasn't until it was light the next day after arriving that I could confirm that as the window looked out onto a blank wall, none were needed.

Sounds like I need to watch Hinterland, then.

What and/or in which episode was 'the spiral path'? Sounds like the kind of thing one might find on the Hafod estate.