Google Streetview and Maps Archive TV locations thread

What's not currently on the box
Richard A
625 lines

Re: Google Streetview and Maps Archive TV locations thread

Post by Richard A »

OK, I've just watched some of the first episode and now I know what the spiral path is (just behind the Hafod hotel).

Don Satchley
625 lines

Post by Don Satchley »

The Machine is a film starring Toby Stephens and was made on location mainly at St. Athan RAF Base in a hanger but also at the end Nash Point is featured. The only evidence is an out of focus background but a lighthouse is pretty unmistakable even out of focus :)
Don

Don Satchley
625 lines

Post by Don Satchley »

A few posts ago on this thread I mentioned the Victoria Rooms in Bristol, which were used in Sherlock. I was watching Andy's Dinosaur Adventures earlier on CBeebies and lo and behold, the museum external shots were taken at this same location. Internal stock footage seems to be from the Natural History Museum in London. I wonder why they didn't just use the outside of the NHM for the museum also. Seems odd. Maybe they use the outside a bit and the show is made by BBC Bristol maybe?
Don

Don Satchley
625 lines

Post by Don Satchley »

I have been re-watching Ever Decreasing Circles recently and noticed online that people have identified the location of Mole Valley Valves are being hereabouts. The buildings have been mostly demolished unfortunately. I can't verify it but it sounds logical as other filming was done in the locality.

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

I'd occasionally wondered just why the designer of BLESS THIS HOUSE had stuck a painted backdrop of a dull, grey, multi-storey car park outside the Abbott's front door. Then I took a look...

https://www.instantstreetview.com/2o815 ... z2vozpez2u

Mind you, by the time of the final series it had been replaced by a nice row of red brick houses.

Don Satchley
625 lines

Post by Don Satchley »

On the latest series of Stella the Cock Inn is actually the Rose and Crown near Abertridwr in South Wales.

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Post by Ian Wegg »

Don Satchley wrote:I have been re-watching Ever Decreasing Circles recently and noticed online that people have identified the location of Mole Valley Valves are being hereabouts. The buildings have been mostly demolished unfortunately. I can't verify it but it sounds logical as other filming was done in the locality.
D'oh, how could I have not spotted that?! Yes, Terminus Road Industrial Estate Chichester without doubt ... now you've pointed it out!

I'll post more on this and another location on the Ever Decreasing Circles locations thread IDC.

~iw

Bradders
405 lines

Post by Bradders »

The location I'd most like to identify is from the Some Mothers Do 'Ave Em episode Father's Clinic, from Series 2.

It's the doorway and shops where Frank is picked up by Charles, the camp chap in the suit and bowler hat. There's a cake shop called Pattiserie there is that helps at all?

Any ideas?

neil jung
405 lines

Post by neil jung »

Watching the Strangers episode 'Paying Guests' recently, I thought I recognized the South Manchester estate where the exteriors of Amanda Barrie's house were filmed. Or at least the style of house.

Turns out it wasn't quite where I thought (wrong estate) but after a bit of a trawl I found it: Westbank Road in Withington/Burnage.

Don Satchley
625 lines

Post by Don Satchley »

For fans of Sky's Stella, the exterior location of Le Cafe de les Alans is here, in Porthcawl.

Don Satchley
625 lines

Post by Don Satchley »

For Hinterland fans, the location of the "hotel" where Tom meets up with his wife is found near here. It is a restaurant called Consti at the top of Constitution Hill. In the show it looks like you can drive up and park there but the road/path up was only used by staff when I was last there, a few years ago.
I just realised when zooming in with Google Maps that the zoom is very limited for this area. You cannot get anywhere near the resolution you can in cities for example. To be honest I am beginning to think that the zoom function in general has been restricted in recent times. It could be me misremembering but it seemed a few years ago you could get a much closer aerial view of most parts of Britain.
Don

Don Satchley
625 lines

Post by Don Satchley »

I watched the John Mills film Sky West and Crooked today, featuring Hayley Mills, a young Ian Mcshane and a stellar cast. It was filmed here in Little Badminton, in Gloucestershire. A real time capsule film.

Don Satchley
625 lines

Post by Don Satchley »

The final episode of Sherlock Series 4 : The Final Problem featured a few welsh landscapes, as usual. I think the prison was in Tenby. This link takes you to a view of St Catherines island which I believe to be the location used. Also, the flashback scenes involving the sister near water were filmed https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.4788572,-3.6105942,239a,20y,324.98h,45t/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en. The Holmes family house could have been a mock up but 2 candidates spring to mind; Sker House in Porthcawl or Llanmihangel House in the Vale of Glamorgan.

Don Satchley
625 lines

Post by Don Satchley »

Also another location used for the beach scenes with the distinctive sedimentary rock formations in the background was Southerndown Beach near Bridgend, otherwise known in Dr Who circles as Bad Wolf Bay.

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

The prison definitely was St Catherine's fort, just off the town beach - I spent many summers as a child on holiday in Tenby and on one memorable occasion (only one) found the place open to visitors and was able to spend most of the day wandering round. That was the highlight of the episode for me.

ghughesarch
405 lines

Post by ghughesarch »

Don Satchley wrote:The Holmes family house could have been a mock up but 2 candidates spring to mind; Sker House in Porthcawl or Llanmihangel House in the Vale of Glamorgan.
It's neither, but it is a real house in south Wales, I've not found the match for it yet.

Colin Cutler
405 lines

Post by Colin Cutler »

Fascinating to note that the Twickenham location used for the sequence in the 1968 BBC Holmes episode 'The Sign of Four' (where Holmes and Watson follow a trail inadvertently left by the villain of the piece) is virtually unchanged after nearly 50 years. As the sequence begins, their trail takes them along a section of 'Riverside' (now dogged by double yellow lines of course!), under the stone bridge of York house Gardens, and ends up at the junction with Church Lane:
https://www.instantstreetview.com/@51.4 ... ,-6.35p,0z

After several years, I finally located the building used as the 'Hotel Cosmopolitan' for the 'Blue Carbuncle' episode from the same series (in James Street), although frustratingly it was undergoing a complete overhaul and was completely boarded up beyond the main foyer!

Don Satchley
625 lines

Post by Don Satchley »

I have posted this elsewhere but worth noting here I think that the house from After Henry has been found!

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Post by Ian Wegg »

No doubt about it Don, great work! It's hardly changed at all. Details here.

Image Image

~iw

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Francis Durbridge Presents: Bat Out of Hell (1966)

Post by Ian Wegg »

One that has eluded me for some time and found by sheer chance following a boat trip around Chichester Harbour...

The house from Bat Out of Hell (1966) is Rookwood House in West Wittering. Since 2013 the home of Kate Winslet.

You can't get near with Streetview but this is the satellite image goo.gl/maps/ytLXtAaV6sJ2

~iw

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Great find, perhaps not surprising it hasn't changed. lovely house.

Have been trying to find some of the locations used in "Virgin Of The Secret Service", presumably close to Elstree, but tricky to find.

In my fav episode "Entente Cordiale", there's a scene of Virgin leaping across Parisian rooftops ( with a clump) I strongly suspect it was the "Honey Lane" set re-dressed.

Would also like to know where the exteriors for Tarot's pad were ( in "Ace Of Wands") I don't think it's mentioned in the DVD booklet.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Don Satchley
625 lines

Post by Don Satchley »

I have been watching the recent "Tourist Trap" show from BBC and noticed that the Tourist Information Centre scenes, which are supposed to be in Aberystwyth, were filmed instead at Porthcawl. You can even see the Wow Wales sign in the window left over from filming. The show itself is poor and only worth watching for the Corporate Couple scenes which are often very funny.

Don Satchley
625 lines

Post by Don Satchley »

Watching Killing Eve on the BBC I think it was Episode 4,Turville popped up again. This village is where The Vicar of Dibley, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Midsomer Murders and many more were filmed.

David Boothroyd
625 lines

Post by David Boothroyd »

I think I've found the location used for the Fisher house in "Billy Liar" (LWT 1973-74). It's 11 Northwood Gardens in Greenford, London. The street name is shown in a location shot in "Billy and the Long Lunch" though the house has changed - there's been a new garage and extension.

https://goo.gl/maps/uvQMQW5jvDq

Aaron76
405 lines

Post by Aaron76 »

David Boothroyd wrote:I think I've found the location used for the Fisher house in "Billy Liar" (LWT 1973-74). It's 11 Northwood Gardens in Greenford, London. The street name is shown in a location shot in "Billy and the Long Lunch" though the house has changed - there's been a new garage and extension.

https://goo.gl/maps/uvQMQW5jvDq

You are correct. I noticed it years ago as I’m from the area.
There is an episode that features a woman and a bus and this short scene was filmed in Eastcote Lane, Northolt by the junction with Petworth Close.

Don Satchley
625 lines

Post by Don Satchley »

My daughters love Topsy and Tim. I was watching one of the later episodes with them from Series 3 where they start walking to school, via a railway footbridge. This afternoon I set about trying to find it as it looked like the Twickenham area and found it here . I have zoomed in on Mr Rosen's place, from which he waves to the children each school day...

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Like the "Billy Liar" one, good find.

Don Satchley
625 lines

Post by Don Satchley »

The most recent series of Unforgotten on ITV featured a town call Middenham, where the victim was killed. The shots done in the town were of Lymington, a lovely town on the edge of the New Forest and a port for the Isle of Wight Ferry.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Watching the re-run of "Never The Twain" on Forces TV, and a few series in, there seemed to be a change of location for the houses they used ( it's suggested on-line, that one of the original houses, has since gone altogether) and by the start of series 7, they shop exteriors were in studio, suggesting they lost permission to use the real ones.

Don Satchley
625 lines

Post by Don Satchley »

Just been watching the Childrens' Film Foundation short Forest Pony, which can be watched on the bfi site and did a quick search and found the pub from the beginning, near Lyndhurst. A lovely time capsule.