Public Eye and the missing ATV episodes

What's not currently on the box
Tim Scrafton
405 lines

Public Eye and the missing ATV episodes

Post by Tim Scrafton »

Hello all, just a question about the lost episodes from the first 3 series of Public Eye made by ABC television...

Does anybody know if any prints of these episodes were circulated to foreign T.V stations? I only ask in the wake of last years efforts of Phillip Morris and his Doctor Who finds, and the later suggestions emanating from the recent BFI 'Missing Believed Wiped' event speculating that ITV material could have been uncovered - I hoped upon hope that Public Eye could have potentially been amongst the myriad lost gems! Now I don't want to get involved in any of the rumours that circulate regarding missing material, its just to say that if I could wish for anything back, it would be anything from those first 3 series, especially series 2 and 3 when the show was given freedom from the studio with the introduction of OB recording. Anyway, the question is simply was the series shipped overseas ever? I'll not get any hopes up of course, just curious to know! ... Would happily swap 6 eps. of 'Power of the Daleks' for 6 eps. of lost Public Eye! (Although would happily accept Doctor Who if that's all on offer...)!!!

By the Way, have been enjoying Andrew Pixley's great book on the series, thoroughly recommended to all fans of Public Eye - it just leaves you wanting more really!

drmih
625 lines

Re: Public Eye and the missing ATV episodes

Post by drmih »

I suppose the straight answer is that there is no official news. It seems probable that there is a large amount of material but if there are thousands of cans of film it could take ages to check the labels, then if the contents tie up and finally if it's recoverable. The only old news is that there was a M&W episode which was beyond recovery.
Just to finish with a bit of rumour-mongering, a person who thinks he's in the know posted the following today:

"found United, Steptoe and Son colour episodes, 3 Dad's Army, Adventure Game, ToTP, Beatles stuff, Adam Adamant, Doomwatch (some, not all), Peter Cushing Sherlock Holmes, Morecambe and Wise"

"....hasn't found Avengers Season 1, Til Death us Do Part, Likely Lads"

AndrewP
625 lines

Post by AndrewP »

Hi Tim :)
Tim Scrafton wrote:Hello all, just a question about the lost episodes from the first 3 series of Public Eye made by ABC television...

Does anybody know if any prints of these episodes were circulated to foreign T.V stations? I only ask in the wake of last years efforts of Phillip Morris and his Doctor Who finds, and the later suggestions emanating from the recent BFI 'Missing Believed Wiped' event speculating that ITV material could have been uncovered - I hoped upon hope that Public Eye could have potentially been amongst the myriad lost gems! Now I don't want to get involved in any of the rumours that circulate regarding missing material, its just to say that if I could wish for anything back, it would be anything from those first 3 series, especially series 2 and 3 when the show was given freedom from the studio with the introduction of OB recording. Anyway, the question is simply was the series shipped overseas ever? I'll not get any hopes up of course, just curious to know! ... Would happily swap 6 eps. of 'Power of the Daleks' for 6 eps. of lost Public Eye! (Although would happily accept Doctor Who if that's all on offer...)!!!

By the Way, have been enjoying Andrew Pixley's great book on the series, thoroughly recommended to all fans of Public Eye - it just leaves you wanting more really!
Delighted that you've been enjoying the viewing notes - they were a lot of fun to assemble and it's a series that I think is quite wonderful. The fact that so much is missing is very sad indeed - particularly from the third series, the scripts for which read superbly.

I'm afraid I didn't turn up anything in my researches to suggest any overseas sales prior to the 1970s; generally for Thames or ABC shows, there will be bits of paper which note when an episode has been sold to another territory, but for what I've seen on all the ABC edition there were no such sales. That said, I would love to be proved wrong so that I could enjoy things like "Memories of Meg" (one of the best scripts I've ever read).

But keep hunting, keep looking, keep researching. I'd love to see somebody track down some trace of these programmes!

Thank you for your kind words on "Six Guineas ..." It's one of those projects where Network are happy to indulge. "The Prisoner" and "Callan" have been similar projects, and now they're letting me go to town on "The Professionals" more than ever before.

All the best

Andrew

Mickey
625 lines

Post by Mickey »

drmih wrote: Just to finish with a bit of rumour-mongering, a person who thinks he's in the know posted the following today:
"found ... Adam Adamant..."
Great scott, please yes.
drmih wrote: "....hasn't found Avengers Season 1
Drat. Still, always hoping!

This really is the news story that keeps on giving, isn't it. ;) And best of luck to the "Public Eye" fans. I have a friend who is a devotee, and she would be over the moon if more episodes turned up. I'd rather have more "Adam Adamant Lives!", but each to their own.

Billy Smart
625 lines

Post by Billy Smart »

Dick Fiddy said in the Missing Believed Wiped documentary last year that he understands that the majority of material recovered in Africa to be BBC, not ITV. Like others here, I think that the 1968 series of Public Eye would be near the top of my own list of things that I'd wish to turn up again.

Ronco
625 lines

Post by Ronco »

Ironic if some "Adventure Game" were found since these existed until the great Adam Lee purge of the early 1990s!

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

The thread title needs amending...

Richard A
625 lines

Post by Richard A »

A bit OT, and I've said it elsewhere before but just to be conversational, one of the pleasures of Andrew's book is the way that the chapter headings read like unmade Public Eye episode titles.

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

FWIW, Andrew worked series three's camera scripts for his excellent book but I've got access to almost all of it's rehearsal scripts. I don't think it's mentioned in the book, so here are the working titles for the third series episodes...

If This Is Lucky, I'd Rather Be Jonah was A LITTLE BIT ON THE SIDE... AND ONE IN THE MIDDLE
But What Good Will The Truth Do? was DON'T SINK THE LIFEBOAT
Memories Of Meg - not changed
Have Mud, Will Throw - not changed
But They Always Come Back For Tea was YOU CAN'T BEAT THE SYSTEM
Mercury In An Off-White Mac - not changed
Strictly Private And Confidential - no information
Honesty Is The Best Policy - But Who Can Afford The Premiums was THAT'S WHAT I WAS PAID FOR
The Bromsgrove Venus - not changed
It Must Be The Architecture - Can't Be The Climate was No 27
It's Learning About The Lies That Hurts was THE GOOD WORD FROM POSTERITY
There's No Future In Monkey Business - not changed
Cross That Palm When We Come To It - not changed

longtimelurker
405 lines

Post by longtimelurker »

Public Eye is near the top of my list of series where I would like to see missing episodes uncovered. Not many shows come above it actually and it's one of the best ever. Would love to see more of the ABC years.

jno
405 lines

Post by jno »

I think Callan is top of my list, but good old Frank Marker is up there in second place - currently loving series 6, you can't help but like Frank Marker - such a weedy character with little or no sparkle but he seems the only normal one compared to some of the people he does jobs for! This is such a great series.

Richard F
405 lines

Post by Richard F »

AndrewP wrote:Hi Tim :)

Delighted that you've been enjoying the viewing notes - they were a lot of fun to assemble and it's a series that I think is quite wonderful. The fact that so much is missing is very sad indeed - particularly from the third series, the scripts for which read superbly.

I'm afraid I didn't turn up anything in my researches to suggest any overseas sales prior to the 1970s; generally for Thames or ABC shows, there will be bits of paper which note when an episode has been sold to another territory, but for what I've seen on all the ABC edition there were no such sales. That said, I would love to be proved wrong so that I could enjoy things like "Memories of Meg" (one of the best scripts I've ever read).

........All the best

Andrew
But we know that programmes like Armchair Theatre were sold abroad because of the evidence Paul Vanezis found on his trip to Cyprus - and it would seem odd if there wasn't greater exploitation of the commercial franchises' libraries when BBC Enterprises was selling Dr Who all over the place. A market was clearly there, and not just for the glossy Avengers/Danger Man shows.

I'm sure I've seen a Thames sales list from the mid-seventies that included Callan - but it obviously was only the colour episodes on offer

AndrewP
625 lines

Post by AndrewP »

Hi Richard :)
Richard F wrote:But we know that programmes like Armchair Theatre were sold abroad because of the evidence Paul Vanezis found on his trip to Cyprus - and it would seem odd if there wasn't greater exploitation of the commercial franchises' libraries when BBC Enterprises was selling Dr Who all over the place. A market was clearly there, and not just for the glossy Avengers/Danger Man shows.

I'm sure I've seen a Thames sales list from the mid-seventies that included Callan - but it obviously was only the colour episodes on offer
Oh a lot of ABC video material was sold abroad ... but there tends to be a paper trail. I've got details for the overseas sales of the ABC "Callan" episodes and in some cases tx dates (which is quite depressing when you see stuff like "Land of Light and Peace", "Blackmailers Should Be Discouraged", "Jack on Top", "Once a Big Man, Always a Big Man" and "The Running Dog" airing from December 1973 to February 1974 ... and a full run of the first season in 1970!). Again, keep my fingers crossed that something will turn up ...

All the best

Andrew

longtimelurker
405 lines

Post by longtimelurker »

jno wrote:I think Callan is top of my list, but good old Frank Marker is up there in second place - currently loving series 6, you can't help but like Frank Marker - such a weedy character with little or no sparkle but he seems the only normal one compared to some of the people he does jobs for! This is such a great series.
Both superb and both very near the top of the list of shows I'd like missing episodes to be recovered for.