DO IT! (Children's ITV)

What's not currently on the box
plasticomo
405 lines

DO IT! (Children's ITV)

Post by plasticomo »

Does anyone else have fond memories of this kids TV show? I must have made practically everything featured on it. I hated all the clowning around and just wanted them to get on with the actual making of the stuff. I wrote off for all the supplements. I remember thinking it had the most amazing theme tune (well, for a 1984 programme for kids). I think I had a secret crush on Sheelagh Gilbey. Anyone have any interesting facts about it? What's the archive status and will a DVD ever surface?

Mike S
D-MAC

Re: DO IT! (Children's ITV)

Post by Mike S »

I remember the Horror Sandwich, which involved making a 'hand' out of toast and putting it inside a regular cheese sandwich smothered in ketchup. The crunch, of course, was meant to suggest the cracking of bones.

It's the kind of thing I wish Network would put out but seldom do - what I always call 'desk shows'.

plasticomo
405 lines

Post by plasticomo »

Mike S wrote:I remember the Horror Sandwich, which involved making a 'hand' out of toast and putting it inside a regular cheese sandwich smothered in ketchup. The crunch, of course, was meant to suggest the cracking of bones.

It's the kind of thing I wish Network would put out but seldom do - what I always call 'desk shows'.

Oh yes, the horror sandwich with the hand. Then there was the rude face cake made with pineapple chunks for teeth and marzipan for a tongue.

Steve Williams
625 lines

Post by Steve Williams »

plasticomo wrote:What's the archive status and will a DVD ever surface?
Given it was a TVS production, the answers are presumably "it exists but it's stuck in rights hell" and "no" respectively.

RobinCarmody
625 lines

Post by RobinCarmody »

I still have two of the magazines telling you how to, er, do it (the Belstow Weekly or Belstow Monthly, I think) you could send off for.

Why I sent off for them I'm not quite sure now - I was never much of a maker or a do-er as a child, but I liked the *idea* of being one. In that respect I've never really changed.

Roll ACR
625 lines

Post by Roll ACR »

I loved the programme when I was a kid. I remember making Coconut Ice after seeing it done on "Do It!". I even remember the song that was sung during the make on the show.

There are a few eps on the YouTube at the same place as the "Country Ways" mentioned on another thread. The theme tune is still catchy and a comforting sound from childhood. I particularly like the one where they're "making pop-corn pop".

I've still got several copies of the Do It! Supplement in the loft.

SceneSouthEast
405 lines

Post by SceneSouthEast »

Wonderful show. Devised by John Dale and and produced by the same team as No. 73. Many of the items featured on both shows, and Neil Buchanan did many of the art items. Sadly, all the masters have been destroyed.

Mike S
D-MAC

Post by Mike S »

SceneSouthEast wrote:Sadly, all the masters have been destroyed.
I hate to say 'citation needed', but is that definitely true?

SceneSouthEast
405 lines

Post by SceneSouthEast »

Yes, it's true. They were marketed by Telso, TVS's sales division. The 1-inch masters went to The Family Channel's London operation when they took over and were skipped when TFC closed. There were no protection copies held in Maidstone.

RobinCarmody
625 lines

Post by RobinCarmody »

What a shame if that is the case.

Lost Shows has it down as existing complete, but that might be because they are still using the info put together in the 1990s for the Children's Guide.

Billy
405 lines

Post by Billy »

So they existed until 1997. That's horrifically recent.

What else was wiped at that time?

SceneSouthEast
405 lines

Post by SceneSouthEast »

Dramarama, Motormouth, No. 73 series 6-8 to name but a few.

plasticomo
405 lines

Post by plasticomo »

SceneSouthEast wrote:Wonderful show. Devised by John Dale and and produced by the same team as No. 73. Many of the items featured on both shows, and Neil Buchanan did many of the art items. Sadly, all the masters have been destroyed.

Noooooooooo, :-( I was hoping I might one day get to see it again in its entirity. So just ropey VHS copies will remain. Yes, 1997 is really recent for it to be junked. It wouldn;t have been a question of saving space on a tape. Someone will have probably thought, 'who on earth will be interested in this rubbish any more.'

I think it's sad with children's television in particular that we have lost the master copies of some great shows. Pipkins springs to mind. It's strange when something no longer exists. In years to come, it will be like shows never happened in the first place, as eventually. no one will be around to remember them

SceneSouthEast
405 lines

Post by SceneSouthEast »

Disney destroyed a load of 1-inch tapes a few years' ago. Mostly TVS saturday morning stuff.

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

I've never liked that ****ing mouse!

Mike S
D-MAC

Post by Mike S »

Which Dramarama episodes are missing then?

RobinCarmody
625 lines

Post by RobinCarmody »

Of the editions of Dramarama produced by TVS, the following have appeared on YouTube:

A Young Person's Guide to Getting Their Ball Back (31.10.1983 - very obviously getting at Thatcher which is subversive in itself considering the general politics of the region and the whole economic wave the company rode, which directly caused their downfall)
Easy (01.04.1985)
The Universe Downstairs (20.05.1985)
The Come-Uppance of Captain Katt (30.06.1986)
Snap (06.04.1987 - this is a great "did they really get that on at 4.45" one, and Romney Marsh!)
Bogeymen (25.07.1988)
Codzmorf (12.06.1989 - not very good, this one)

Which leaves the following (they made more than any other ITV company):

Mighty Mum and the Petnappers (12.09.1983)
Rip It Up (19.09.1983)
Jack and the Computer (03.10.1983)
Fowl Pest (21.05.1984)
Que Sera (11.06.1984)
The Purple People Eater (16.07.1984)
Rachel and Rosie (06.08.1984)
The Young Person's Guide to Going Backwards in the World (29.04.1985)
Frog (10.06.1985)
Emily (24.06.1985)
Last Day at Black Bert's (28.07.1986)
Direct Action (18.08.1986)
Just a Game (08.09.1986)
Cannondrum (30.03.1987)
The Creature Beyond Torches End (11.05.1987)
Living Doll (29.06.1987)
Making Waves (04.07.1988)
Now You See Them (18.07.1988)

Would be a great shame if any of these have gone, obviously. Lost Shows lists Dramarama as existing in full across all the companies that contributed, but then it also lists Do It as existing in full - possibly it is using information put together in the 1990s for the Kaleidoscope Children's Guide (which has yet to have a digital upgrade), which for example lists every edition of the UK version of Fraggle Rock as existing in broadcast standard which we know is not now the case. The Kal guide does give Emily as existing only on PAL videotape - all the others on 1" - but not being a technical type I don't know the exact difference here or whether this is not broadcast standard.

RobinCarmody
625 lines

Post by RobinCarmody »

The first ten minutes of The Young Person's Guide to Going Backwards in the World have now appeared on YouTube; that was all that was on the tape.

I hope this is not the only surviving copy ...

SceneSouthEast
405 lines

Post by SceneSouthEast »

No. I have the whole thing!