TVseries not shows that never saw the light of day

What's not currently on the box
George White
625 lines

TVseries not shows that never saw the light of day

Post by George White »

There were the 3rd series of Tripods and the Survivors revival, that Passage to India ITV adap in 2010, the unaired Zoe Lucker series Bombshell, Distant Shores series 2, the Frank Skinner sitcom Shane made but never shown any other never-made TV series that almost did?
I remember that Brian Clemens had the idea for Survivors or The Survivors as he called it, but as an all-film coprod withQuinn Martin.

Mark C Bale
405 lines

Re: TVseries not shows that never saw the light of day

Post by Mark C Bale »

I seem to recall reading that Les Dawson and Roy Barraclough were planning a Cissie & Ada sitcom before Les died

George White
625 lines

Post by George White »

Oh really, any sf/kids ones? The BBC axed a John Christopher adap for CBBC because of the Tripods, thought there'd be SamYoud overkill.

Mickey
625 lines

Post by Mickey »

George White wrote:Oh really, any sf/kids ones?
There was the second series of the CBBC programme "Powers", which never saw the light. A shame, as that was a very promising show. 2004, I think. Being pre-Who revamp, British sci-fi was pretty thin on the ground at the time, so I was glad when it turned up in the schedules. Even more glad when it turned out to be very enjoyable, even for somebody well out of the target age range. I would have liked to have seen a second series.

Beaker
625 lines

Post by Beaker »

Ripper. The Buffy spin-off that never got off the ground. A shame, it could have been rather good.
If I were creating the world I wouldn't mess about with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers, eight o'clock, Day One!

George White
625 lines

Post by George White »

Mickey wrote:
George White wrote:Oh really, any sf/kids ones?
There was the second series of the CBBC programme "Powers", which never saw the light. A shame, as that was a very promising show. 2004, I think. Being pre-Who revamp, British sci-fi was pretty thin on the ground at the time, so I was glad when it turned up in the schedules. Even more glad when it turned out to be very enjoyable, even for somebody well out of the target age range. I would have liked to have seen a second series.
Oh Powers, I loved that when I was 9. It was really weird. There were these old people who kept going on about the Land of Nod, that was quite creepy and an episode about a black kid who fell into a parallel universe (first time I'd ever heard of a parallel world) in his garden. And there was a farm full of illegal immigrant aliens.
Was the second series made or written?

stanbutler
405 lines

Post by stanbutler »

The Upstairs Downstairs spin-off with Mrs Bridges and Mr Hudson retiring to run a seaside B&B which was nixed by Angela Baddeley's untimely death.

stanbutler
405 lines

Post by stanbutler »

I suppose you could count the Australian Hancock series as it was never completed or shown in intended episodic form.

prisoner5
625 lines

Post by prisoner5 »

C4's Gong Show hosted by Frankie Howerd, saw the pilot, not a patch on Chuck Barris.

Ross
D-MAC

Post by Ross »

RTD planned a second series of Dark Season, but it was scrapped as apparently the kids now looked too old. Seemed a weak excuse, but he wrote Century Falls instead, so perhaps it was for the best.

Victor Pemberton wanted to make another series of Timeslip c.1990 with the same cast but now aimed at an older audience.

Two Doctor Who spin-offs were suggested, featuring the men of UNIT in one and the Victorian characters Jago and Litefoot in the other. I've no idea how far these ideas went, but the latter especially could have been good.
George White wrote:The BBC axed a John Christopher adap for CBBC because of the Tripods, thought there'd be SamYoud overkill.
The Guardians, I believe.

GarethR
HD

Post by GarethR »

George White wrote:Distant Shores series 2
That's always been a bizarre one. The first series was popular enough in the UK, so why series 2 only ever aired in Australia (IIRC) remains a mystery.

If he hadn't inconveniently died when he did, Benny Hill would have been back with a series produced by Central. ISTR the announcer claiming that Filthy Rich & Catflap would be back with a new series over the closing credits of the final episode, but does anyone know if that was ever a real possibility?

Simon Mclean
405 lines

Post by Simon Mclean »

GarethR wrote:If he hadn't inconveniently died when he did, Benny Hill would have been back with a series produced by Central.
Though apparently the series Freddie Starr did for Central shortly afterwards used the scripts that would've been used for the new Hill show - I'm not entirely sure how accurate this is, as Hill tended to write his own scripts, but if true we certainly didn't miss much. Even Starr said it was an appalling series.

GarethR
HD

Post by GarethR »

Simon Mclean wrote: Though apparently the series Freddie Starr did for Central shortly afterwards used the scripts that would've been used for the new Hill show - I'm not entirely sure how accurate this is, as Hill tended to write his own scripts
Now that you mention that, I have a definite memory of reading a tabloid puff piece about that series (in The Sun, probably) in which Starr stated that they'd included deliberate tributes to Benny Hill, including speeded-up chase scenes. Whether that was just done rather cynically for publicity or it proves anything about the provenance of the scripts, I don't know... but as you say, Hill nearly always wrote his own stuff, and would he even have got round to writing anything for that series given that he hadn't even signed the contract to make it yet?

George White
625 lines

Post by George White »

Eh yeh, anyway Starr is a tyrannical git.

Any more? Thomas and Sarah series 2. Wasn't that Hudson spinoff a sitcom?

Shaqui
625 lines

Post by Shaqui »

I have the Starlog Scrapbook Vol 1 from 1982 and in the back is a full page colour photo of Robby the Robot in a Sherlock Holmes costume complete with violin from 'an unaired pilot' called Holmes and Watson which was apparently made around 1976. I could find no information online - does anyone know more about this?

Mickey
625 lines

Post by Mickey »

Did your search turn up this discussion about the photograph? Somebody there suggests that widening the search to include Jerry Mathers might turn up something.

1976, though? Seems awfully late for Robbie. Wasn't he mostly a 50s/60s icon?

Shaqui
625 lines

Post by Shaqui »

Yes, that's the photo:

http://greggorysshocktheater.tumblr.com/post/3428198851

The Starlog Scrapbook does call the pilot 'Holmes and Watson' and I'm wondering if wires have been crossed somewhere. 'Holmes and Yoyo' was just around the corner, and strangely yes, I do recall Robby featuring in an episode of 'Columbo', though I'm not sure that photo is from it...

Robby did have a long career in TV cameos, right through the 1960s and 1970s, probably even more recent.

Mickey
625 lines

Post by Mickey »

Cameos, yes. 1976 seems like an odd time for somebody to be hoping to sell a whole series starring him though, especially with such an odd premise. Robo-Holmes seems like more of a 60s idea, or maybe 80s. I'd be inclined to think somebody has got the wrong end of the stick somewhere. Although of course with television you can never tell. It's hardly the weirdest idea anybody ever took to a TV company...

Juswuh
D-MAC

Post by Juswuh »

How close did Journey To The Unknown get to having a second series?

Juswuh
D-MAC

Post by Juswuh »

Re second series, just remembered that Strange Report would have continued but production was planned to move from London to Hollywood, and Anthony Quayle and Anneke Wills didn't want to go.

ctraynor
D-MAC

Post by ctraynor »

Juswuh wrote:How close did Journey To The Unknown get to having a second series?
I hadn't thought about that one. Was Journey looking good enough in the ratings for the hint of a second season?

Hammer House of Horror got good figures but was abandoned after just the one season apparently due to behind-the-scenes politics. But that's just vaguely what I heard. If someone can fill us in on the picture, that'd be good.

Private Frazer
625 lines

Post by Private Frazer »

Ross wrote:RTD planned a second series of Dark Season, but it was scrapped as apparently the kids now looked too old. Seemed a weak excuse, but he wrote Century Falls instead, so perhaps it was for the best.
That is a lame excuse as many TV Series follow characters' growing older. RTD said in an interview (on the BBC cult page) that it was because Maid Marion was returning to its time slot. His favourite bit involves the special effects in episode five. I think the drama around Prof. Polzinski in episode three is really great stuff. More Dark Season would have been good; might look for the novelisations. Not too keen on occult goings on, even in Doctor Who, so I never checked out Century Falls (or The Changes etc.).
"Now listen you guys, I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going on out here..."

Anthony McKay
405 lines

Post by Anthony McKay »

Juswuh wrote:How close did Journey To The Unknown get to having a second series?
Both "The Ugliest Girl in Town" and "Journey To The Unknown" were 'pink-slipped' part-way through their screening in the US and declared failures by January '69.

stuartfanning
405 lines

Post by stuartfanning »

As several people mentioned 'Journey to the Unknown'. Here is some publicity Hammer released during the production of the series. Click each page to enlarge.

https://goo.gl/photos/yVeicEq1RGU24S4q7

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

Time Screen magazine did a fantastic and very in-depth article about HHOH and HHOMAS back in the day; I would love to know where all the paperwork came from they clearly had accesss to! But the one thing that was a bit fuzzy was exactly why there was no second series of HHOH!

State of Play ended with an announcement that series 2 was coming. It never did, though.

George White
625 lines

Post by George White »

Reading Halliwell's TV Companion, mentions that Philip Madoc will be playing Tito in a major miniseries about the Yugoslavian leader. According to the one mention online,
"The major regret of his career came about because of bad timing. He was all set to play Yugoslavia's legendary and controversial leader Tito in a film of his life when war broke out and the plans had to be shelved."
Was this going to be a C4 TV movie, a US miniseries, an ITV or BBC thing...

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Anthony McKay wrote:
Both "The Ugliest Girl in Town" and "Journey To The Unknown" were 'pink-slipped' part-way through their screening in the US and declared failures by January '69.
Production on Journey to the Unknown had ceased by Nov 68 indicating that it had been given short shrift by the TV companies. In the UK only a selection were shown in the prime time 9pm slot in the winter of 68 ..the rest would have sporadic late showings over the next couple of years.
The last episode Miss Bellmust has caused a few frowns in TV land? and certainly some viewers talked about it who had seen it.. this was perhaps an indication of where the series was going using off the wall writers and a chance for Hammer to escape it's formulaic horror franchise..it's a shame it was cancelled.

Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Post by Spiny Norman »

The Veil, a sort of mildly supernatural anthology (Twilight Zone light) starring Boris Karloff, was filmed in 1958 but not used until it was found and reissued.

MOSTLY unused TV series would be Hardwicke House and Heil Honey I suppose, with several episodes never airing.
This is nøt å signåture.™

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Post by Ian Wegg »

Spiny Norman wrote:MOSTLY unused TV series would be Hardwicke House and Heil Honey I suppose, with several episodes never airing.
That's a whole new category, series that were pulled. Possibly the most recent being the lamentable Len Goodman's Partners in Rhyme.

Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Post by Spiny Norman »

Ian Wegg wrote:
Spiny Norman wrote:MOSTLY unused TV series would be Hardwicke House and Heil Honey I suppose, with several episodes never airing.
That's a whole new category, series that were pulled. Possibly the most recent being the lamentable Len Goodman's Partners in Rhyme.
To be honest I wasn't sure what the original question was, or if the other examples fitted the bill.

Would the 4th series of Robin of Sherwood qualify? Or does it have to be recorded but never shown?
This is nøt å signåture.™