Star Trek: Where No Man Has Gone Before

What's not currently on the box
Daspouter
405 lines

Star Trek: Where No Man Has Gone Before

Post by Daspouter »

Was this episode repeated as often as the others, back in the 70s, as i only recall seeing it in 1978. I wonder if the BBC missed it out as it was so different to the rest of the series? I remember being really confused when i first saw it, in September 1978, and i mistakenly assumed the whole of the first season must be like that, and that the eps id seen before must have been from seasons 2 & 3.

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Re: Star Trek: Where No Man Has Gone Before

Post by Simon Coward »

Daspouter wrote:Was this episode repeated as often as the others, back in the 70s, as i only recall seeing it in 1978. I wonder if the BBC missed it out as it was so different to the rest of the series? I remember being really confused when i first saw it, in September 1978, and i mistakenly assumed the whole of the first season must be like that, and that the eps id seen before must have been from seasons 2 & 3.
I think so, yes. It was shown in 1969, 1971, and 1973 before the 1978 broadcast.
We all have to eat a peck of dirt before we die.

Shaqui
625 lines

Post by Shaqui »

Even now I remember it as the very first episode of Star Trek shown on BBC1, on a Saturday afternoon in the summer of 1969. We visited my grandparents, and they had colour television.

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Shaqui wrote:Even now I remember it as the very first episode of Star Trek shown on BBC1, on a Saturday afternoon in the summer of 1969. We visited my grandparents, and they had colour television.
Yes I think the actual pilot 'the cage' was resoucefully revamped and shown as ep 2 & 3 (or maybe 3 & 4 who cares)in that glorious summer of 69.

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

fatcat wrote:Yes I think the actual pilot 'the cage' was resoucefully revamped and shown as ep 2 & 3 (or maybe 3 & 4 who cares)in that glorious summer of 69.
Took a little bit more of the run before "The Menagerie" was shown.

12/07/1969 Where No Man Has Gone Before
19/07/1969 The Naked Time
26/07/1969 The City on the Edge of Forever
02/08/1969 A Taste of Armageddon (curiously billed in more than one newspaper as "Enterprise")
09/08/1969 Mudd's Women
16/08/1969 Tomorrow is Yesterday
23/08/1969 The Menagerie (part 1)
30/08/1969 The Menagerie (part 2)
06/09/1969 The Devil in the Dark
13/09/1969 Charlie X
20/09/1969 Shore Leave
27/09/1969 Space Seed
04/10/1969 The Man Trap
11/10/1969 Dagger of the Mind
18/10/1969 The Corbomite Maneuver
25/10/1969 Balance of Terror
01/11/1969 The Squire of Gothos
08/11/1969 What Are Little Girls Made Of?
15/11/1969 Arena
22/11/1969 The Return of the Archons
29/11/1969 This Side of Paradise
06/12/1969 Billed as "Court Martial" but seems to have been season two's "The Doomsday Machine" unless the newspaper billing was euphemistic and was referring to "The Alternative Factor" (see below)
13/12/1969 Errand of Mercy
20/12/1969 The Conscience of the King
27/12/1969 The Galileo Seven

Doctor Who takes up the Saturday evening SF slot from 03/01/1970, Star Trek returns on Monday nights in April.

06/04/1970 Court Martial
13/04/1970 The Enemy Within
run continues with season two episodes until eventually...

02/12/1970 Miri
09/12/1970 Operation: Annihilate!

and, ages later, after some episodes had already been repeated

08/12/1971 The Alternative Factor (but see above)

Unless anyone else knows different: I'm sure plenty of folk here are more expert on this series than I am.

Daspouter
405 lines

Post by Daspouter »

Shaqui wrote:Even now I remember it as the very first episode of Star Trek shown on BBC1, on a Saturday afternoon in the summer of 1969. We visited my grandparents, and they had colour television.
Shaqui, did you write an article on UK Star Trek comic strips for Star Trek Magazine a few years back? One of my favourite subjects.

ctraynor
D-MAC

Post by ctraynor »

Simon Coward wrote:
fatcat wrote:Yes I think the actual pilot 'the cage' was resoucefully revamped and shown as ep 2 & 3 (or maybe 3 & 4 who cares)in that glorious summer of 69.
Took a little bit more of the run before "The Menagerie" was shown.

12/07/1969 Where No Man Has Gone Before
19/07/1969 The Naked Time
26/07/1969 The City on the Edge of Forever
02/08/1969 A Taste of Armageddon (curiously billed in more than one newspaper as "Enterprise")
09/08/1969 Mudd's Women
16/08/1969 Tomorrow is Yesterday
23/08/1969 The Menagerie (part 1)
30/08/1969 The Menagerie (part 2)
06/09/1969 The Devil in the Dark
13/09/1969 Charlie X
20/09/1969 Shore Leave
27/09/1969 Space Seed
04/10/1969 The Man Trap
11/10/1969 Dagger of the Mind
18/10/1969 The Corbomite Maneuver
25/10/1969 Balance of Terror
01/11/1969 The Squire of Gothos
08/11/1969 What Are Little Girls Made Of?
15/11/1969 Arena
22/11/1969 The Return of the Archons
29/11/1969 This Side of Paradise
06/12/1969 Billed as "Court Martial" but seems to have been season two's "The Doomsday Machine" unless the newspaper billing was euphemistic and was referring to "The Alternative Factor" (see below)
13/12/1969 Errand of Mercy
20/12/1969 The Conscience of the King
27/12/1969 The Galileo Seven

Doctor Who takes up the Saturday evening SF slot from 03/01/1970, Star Trek returns on Monday nights in April.

06/04/1970 Court Martial
13/04/1970 The Enemy Within
run continues with season two episodes until eventually...

02/12/1970 Miri
09/12/1970 Operation: Annihilate!

and, ages later, after some episodes had already been repeated

08/12/1971 The Alternative Factor (but see above)

Unless anyone else knows different: I'm sure plenty of folk here are more expert on this series than I am.
No, your listing is exactly how I remember from watching it! I've seen this order a few times in reference books like Roger Fulton's but I would have more or less remembered a lot of the episode order anyway. Star Trek began a couple of weeks before the July 1969 moon landing, with these showings you've listed, in the UK after it had already ended in America. It was a summer and autumn replacement for Dr Who, with Patrick Troughton's second Doctor having been caught by the Time Lords and exiled to Earth. With Trek's The Galileo Seven being shown just after Christmas 1969 (but still during the Christmas holidays) the Saturday teatime showings ended. Dr Who came back the next weekend in colour for the first time and now starring Jon Pertwee in Spearhead from Space.

One or two friends only remember watching Trek for the first time from its weekday evening showings starting in spring 1970. I suppose that slot meant the show managed to garner an older audience. Given that, as regards British showings, the rest is history.

I've often thought, as did critic and Trek sceptic the late John Brosnan, that it was a poor move to place The Naked Time as the second episode, with all the characters breaking down and revealing their innermost selves so early in the run.
fatcat wrote:
Yes I think the actual pilot 'the cage' was resoucefully revamped and shown as ep 2 & 3 (or maybe 3 & 4 who cares)in that glorious summer of 69.
In the initial 1969 run, and of course in reruns, a lot of The Cage was used as flashbacks in the two-part story The Menagerie. The Cage, as an entire episode, wasn't broadcast in the UK until the 1990s (someone can remind us exactly when).

ctraynor
D-MAC

Post by ctraynor »

That must have been fantastic. I'm tempted to start a thread on what those of us of a certain age first saw in colour on television and the impact it had. In my case, it was visiting the houses of friends whose parents were in high-enough pay professions to afford a colour telly.

Shaqui
625 lines

Post by Shaqui »

Daspouter wrote:
Shaqui, did you write an article on UK Star Trek comic strips for Star Trek Magazine a few years back? One of my favourite subjects.
Actually I wrote the coda, about the TV21 & Valiant years. The main article, if I recall, was written by Graham Bleathman. I also sub-edited the UK Trek strip section in the Comics international special (and partly wrote it), as I kept sending amends and whoever was interpreting them at the other end was getting it ass-about-face after three attempts!

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

ctraynor wrote:In the initial 1969 run, and of course in reruns, a lot of The Cage was used as flashbacks in the two-part story The Menagerie. The Cage, as an entire episode, wasn't broadcast in the UK until the 1990s (someone can remind us exactly when).
19/08/1992, as a pre-cursor to the start of the first re-run of season one on terrestrial TV for about 8 years.

Juswuh
D-MAC

Post by Juswuh »

The Cage, "the one where they've all got different jumpers," as a friend of mine put it.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Simon Coward wrote:
ctraynor wrote:In the initial 1969 run, and of course in reruns, a lot of The Cage was used as flashbacks in the two-part story The Menagerie. The Cage, as an entire episode, wasn't broadcast in the UK until the 1990s (someone can remind us exactly when).
19/08/1992, as a pre-cursor to the start of the first re-run of season one on terrestrial TV for about 8 years.
'The Cage' is a gem. Recognisable, yet distinctly different and in many ways more primitive than the torrent which was about to be released. A bit like Ford's Model S.

Has the original cut of 'Where No Man Has Gone Before' ever had a British airing? It too has a strangely unfamiliar look to it, when viewed with hindsight, although mostly down to a different caption sequence, seemingly.

Is it on the US DVD set?

Mickey
625 lines

Post by Mickey »

"The Cage" really is good. I liked Christopher Pike, and have always felt that he'd have made a good lead character for the series. Mind you, I never did like Kirk, which might have something to do with it.

billo
405 lines

Post by billo »

I understand they revamped the episode order in the USA in 1966 putting 'The Man Trap' first and shoved the second pilot WNMHGB up to third in the order....

That second pilot guest starring Gary Lockwood (star of Gene Roddenberry's earlier 'The Lieutenant' show which also featured Robert Vaughn just pre-'The Man From UNCLE' and included many later Star Trek cast members as guests plus of course Lockwood was later in '2001: A Space Odyssey') - it was also notable as no Deforrest Kelly as 'Bones' (Paul Fix played 'Dr. Mark Piper') and Sulu is a astrophysicist, Scotty isn't engineer either & the women all wear trousers (as later in ST:TNG) so in some ways it resembles ST;TNG rather than Kirk's era....while Enterprise bridge is mid way between Pike's as featured in 'The Cage' & the better known TV series version...

'The Cage' originally was 're-assembled' using b/w footage from the cutting room floor put with the colour footage used in 'The Menagerie' - then a silent all colour version was found & the soundtrack sequenced in for VHS release & later TV version

Note the sound 'goes crackly' in places while at certain points the voice of The Talosian 'Keeper' changes from the later 'redubbed' version (hence The Keeper's 'thoughts' are heard at the end addressing 'Captain KIRK'...) to the original voice which was dubbed by actor Malachi Throne (who later plays Commadore Mendez in 'The Menagerie')

some of 'The Cage' Footage is cleverly 're-sequence' to show Pike & Vina both fit & able bodied 'walking away' hand in hand at the end as Kirk watches them onscreen...then The Keeper apparently 'speaks' to Kirk...which was merely dubbed over earlier footage of 'The Keeper' in 'The Cage' but looked perfect as the Talosians 'talk' without lips moving earlier on...

certain bits that didn't fit or look good by 1966 (Spock abandoning Pike & mentioning Enterprise had back up 'Rocket' engines etc) were dropped as Roddenberry wrote an elaboarte 50 minute 'framing' story re Spock mutinying & kidnapping the invalid Fleet Captain Pike and risking the death penalty of 'General order seven' by taking Enterprise back to the one forbidden planet Talos IV some 13 years after the events of 'The Cage' (hence only Spock with his longer alien lifespan was an Enterprise crew member between the events of 'Cage' and 'Menagerie')

- you can pull certain aspects apart if you choose but overall Roddenberry's revamp 'framing' story of Spock put on trial set around the rejected but expensive original pilot worked really well...giving Star Trek some authentic looking 'past history' to the original TV series days...deservedly earning Roddenberry a Hugo award

note Leonard Nimoy's hair & teeth alter between the two sets of footage (!)....as Spock alters over time to go all 'logical' later !

Great finding a close Jeffrey Hunter 'lookalike' the younger Sean Kenny (who plays navigator 'DaSalle' in another series episode and can be seen to closely resemble Hunter) to portray the badly injured Fleet Capt. Pike - he really did look very much like Jeff Hunter's original Capt Pike character

I recall right after 'Galileo Seven' aired in 1969 BBC immediately did a 'Doctor Who' trailer

complete with action shots it went:
'next week....fifty meteorites fall...and a stranger arrives on Earth (the Tardis lands & Pertwee falls out)...

....But DO we Know him...?

cut to Brigadier saying; 'No I've never seen him before...'

Pertwee answers; 'Lethbridge Stewart Don't you recognise me...?"

the other Hospital Doctor says; 'Well he certainly knows you...!'

we see some action sequences of Autons zapping folk, soldiers firing, people running getting zapped, & Jon Pertwee leaping into action

it says: 'Next Saturday at 5.45 (or whenever it was) on BBC One the return of an old favorite... complete with a new face, Jon Pertwee stars as 'Doctor Who' - IN COLOUR !!

boy was that a long week's wait...!

Shaqui
625 lines

Post by Shaqui »

billo wrote:Great finding a close Jeffrey Hunter 'lookalike' the younger Sean Kenny (who plays navigator 'DaSalle' in another series episode and can be seen to closely resemble Hunter) to portray the badly injured Fleet Capt. Pike - he really did look very much like Jeff Hunter's original Capt Pike character
I recall one sci-fi magazine quite famously printing a picture of Sean Kenney at the controls of the Enterprise with Kirk and some of the other main cast around him with the caption along the lines of 'Kirk meets Captain Pike'! :-o And I don't think it was meant in jest or irony...

Daspouter
405 lines

Post by Daspouter »

billo wrote:I understand they revamped the episode order in the USA in 1966 putting 'The Man Trap' first and shoved the second pilot WNMHGB up to third in the order....

That second pilot guest starring Gary Lockwood (star of Gene Roddenberry's earlier 'The Lieutenant' show which also featured Robert Vaughn just pre-'The Man From UNCLE' and included many later Star Trek cast members as guests plus of course Lockwood was later in '2001: A Space Odyssey') - it was also notable as no Deforrest Kelly as 'Bones' (Paul Fix played 'Dr. Mark Piper') and Sulu is a astrophysicist, Scotty isn't engineer either & the women all wear trousers (as later in ST:TNG) so in some ways it resembles ST;TNG rather than Kirk's era....while Enterprise bridge is mid way between Pike's as featured in 'The Cage' & the better known TV series version...

'The Cage' originally was 're-assembled' using b/w footage from the cutting room floor put with the colour footage used in 'The Menagerie' - then a silent all colour version was found & the soundtrack sequenced in for VHS release & later TV version

Note the sound 'goes crackly' in places while at certain points the voice of The Talosian 'Keeper' changes from the later 'redubbed' version (hence The Keeper's 'thoughts' are heard at the end addressing 'Captain KIRK'...) to the original voice which was dubbed by actor Malachi Throne (who later plays Commadore Mendez in 'The Menagerie')

some of 'The Cage' Footage is cleverly 're-sequence' to show Pike & Vina both fit & able bodied 'walking away' hand in hand at the end as Kirk watches them onscreen...then The Keeper apparently 'speaks' to Kirk...which was merely dubbed over earlier footage of 'The Keeper' in 'The Cage' but looked perfect as the Talosians 'talk' without lips moving earlier on...

certain bits that didn't fit or look good by 1966 (Spock abandoning Pike & mentioning Enterprise had back up 'Rocket' engines etc) were dropped as Roddenberry wrote an elaboarte 50 minute 'framing' story re Spock mutinying & kidnapping the invalid Fleet Captain Pike and risking the death penalty of 'General order seven' by taking Enterprise back to the one forbidden planet Talos IV some 13 years after the events of 'The Cage' (hence only Spock with his longer alien lifespan was an Enterprise crew member between the events of 'Cage' and 'Menagerie')

- you can pull certain aspects apart if you choose but overall Roddenberry's revamp 'framing' story of Spock put on trial set around the rejected but expensive original pilot worked really well...giving Star Trek some authentic looking 'past history' to the original TV series days...deservedly earning Roddenberry a Hugo award

note Leonard Nimoy's hair & teeth alter between the two sets of footage (!)....as Spock alters over time to go all 'logical' later !

Great finding a close Jeffrey Hunter 'lookalike' the younger Sean Kenny (who plays navigator 'DaSalle' in another series episode and can be seen to closely resemble Hunter) to portray the badly injured Fleet Capt. Pike - he really did look very much like Jeff Hunter's original Capt Pike character

I recall right after 'Galileo Seven' aired in 1969 BBC immediately did a 'Doctor Who' trailer

complete with action shots it went:
'next week....fifty meteorites fall...and a stranger arrives on Earth (the Tardis lands & Pertwee falls out)...

....But DO we Know him...?

cut to Brigadier saying; 'No I've never seen him before...'

Pertwee answers; 'Lethbridge Stewart Don't you recognise me...?"

the other Hospital Doctor says; 'Well he certainly knows you...!'

we see some action sequences of Autons zapping folk, soldiers firing, people running getting zapped, & Jon Pertwee leaping into action

it says: 'Next Saturday at 5.45 (or whenever it was) on BBC One the return of an old favorite... complete with a new face, Jon Pertwee stars as 'Doctor Who' - IN COLOUR !!

boy was that a long week's wait...!
A shame that trailer apparently doesnt exist any more. Id love to see more continuity announcements from that era.

Daspouter
405 lines

Post by Daspouter »

Shaqui wrote:
billo wrote:Great finding a close Jeffrey Hunter 'lookalike' the younger Sean Kenny (who plays navigator 'DaSalle' in another series episode and can be seen to closely resemble Hunter) to portray the badly injured Fleet Capt. Pike - he really did look very much like Jeff Hunter's original Capt Pike character
I recall one sci-fi magazine quite famously printing a picture of Sean Kenney at the controls of the Enterprise with Kirk and some of the other main cast around him with the caption along the lines of 'Kirk meets Captain Pike'! :-o And I don't think it was meant in jest or irony...
That was in STARBURST, no 101, i believe. It actually said it was a still from `The Cage'.

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Post by Nick Cooper 625 »

billo wrote:'The Cage' originally was 're-assembled' using b/w footage from the cutting room floor put with the colour footage used in 'The Menagerie' - then a silent all colour version was found & the soundtrack sequenced in for VHS release & later TV version
No, the b/w footage came from the complete copy of the pilot that Roddenberry had kept, not "the cutting room floor." Later on the colour off-cuts from the editing of The Cage into The Menagerie were found and re-inserted.
"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo." [Wells]

billo
405 lines

Post by billo »

I had read somewhere it was the other way around and that the b/w parts were the "discarded" edited parts recovered and put back together with the later used colour parts - and that later the full colour version was found but it was minus any soundtrack at all ...thus the first released colour/b & w 'patched together' VHS release version's sound was later re-dubbed onto the silent full colour version - which WOULD tie in with the fact that the better quality overall sound (taken from the pilot footage that had been reutilised in 'The Menagerie') then 'dropping out' in places - plus Malachi Throne's original voiceover of 'The Keepers' voice replacing the later redubbed version for 'The Menagerie' in certain places ...

Ronco
625 lines

Post by Ronco »

Scotty was an engineer in the second pilot.

billo
405 lines

Post by billo »

I thought Lee Kelso (Paul Carr) was shown as being the engineering officer (he jury rigs the power source at the automatic station on the deserted planet) - whom Lt. Gary Mitchell kills by strangling him (through his sheer mental power)

Scotty is clearly a bridge officer, like Sulu, but no specific mention of him as the engineering officer is made

Ronco
625 lines

Post by Ronco »

Is there a specific mention of Kelso being an engineering officer, either?

Ronco
625 lines

Post by Ronco »

Wasn't Kelso the helmsman?

Irongiant
405 lines

Post by Irongiant »

Ronco wrote:Wasn't Kelso the helmsman?
Officer and navigator:

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Lee_Kelso

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

billo wrote:I had read somewhere it was the other way around and that the b/w parts were the "discarded" edited parts recovered and put back together with the later used colour parts
Where's the logic to that? The parts "discarded" during the editing of The Menagerie would have been colour. Why would there be exactly the same extracts in b/w?
and that later the full colour version was found but it was minus any soundtrack at all ...
No, what was subsequently found was the mute colour negative off-cuts, not a mute (negative or positive) copy of The Cage in full. This is widely documented and not disputed.

Ronco
625 lines

Post by Ronco »

The black and white copy was a complete version held by Roddenberry. Before the series was shown on TV, he showed "Where no man..." to a science fiction gathering who received it ecstatically. They wanted more, but all Roddenberry had was his copy of "The Cage" which was b&w. Never mind, they said, they wanted to see that too.

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Ronco wrote:The black and white copy was a complete version held by Roddenberry. Before the series was shown on TV, he showed "Where no man..." to a science fiction gathering who received it ecstatically. They wanted more, but all Roddenberry had was his copy of "The Cage" which was b&w. Never mind, they said, they wanted to see that too.
Indeed. It was widely known that Roddenberry had a b/w viewing copy years before the patchwork VHS appeared.

videoking
625 lines

Post by videoking »

In the early to mid 80s I went to a special showing of the B/W copy of The Cage hosted by Roddenberry.

Doom Patrol
625 lines

Post by Doom Patrol »

So, what is the status of The Cage now? Does it exist in its entirety in colour? I'm pretty sure I've seen the colour version at some point. Is it in actual fact a mish mash of extracts from The Menagerie and the discovered film inserts?

videoking
625 lines

Post by videoking »

Yes, the color version of The Cage is readily available. I actually preferred Jeffrey Hunter's portrayal of the Captain as opposed to Shat's version.