Childrens Television Advertising Regulation

What's not currently on the box
Lord Brett
405 lines

Childrens Television Advertising Regulation

Post by Lord Brett »

I hope I've put this query in the right section - please feel free to move the thread if I've got it wrong.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone might be able to tell me when advertising within (as opposed to between) childrens tv programmes was banned in the UK.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can steer me in the right direction.

Brock
HD

Re: Childrens Television Advertising Regulation

Post by Brock »

Is it all children's programmes? A quick check of Wikipedia suggests that the regulation "Children’s programmes may only be interrupted if the scheduled duration is longer than 30 minutes" came about as a result of the EU Audiovisual Media Services Directive, which had to be introduced in all member states by the end of 2009. But I don't know exactly when it came into UK law or if UK legislation goes further in this respect.

JezR
625 lines

Post by JezR »

Don't have a precise date, but it was around late 1972 - early 1973 that this stopped on ITV during the 'traditional' children's time in the late afternoon.

Steve Williams
625 lines

Post by Steve Williams »

Brock wrote:Is it all children's programmes?
Well, it can't be all children's programmes because of course all the Saturday morning programmes featured ad breaks, and the current Scrambled also does.

Billy
405 lines

Post by Billy »

And repeats of children's programmes such as Knightmare, Fun House and Finders Keepers on Challenge have had ad-breaks placed in the middle, sometimes quite jarringly.

There's some odd exceptions such as The Krypton Factor, which somehow ran without an ad-break until 1993. And more recently, mid-2000s episodes of 'Harry Hill's TV Burp' had no actual ads at all and the break would only consist of about 30 seconds worth of ITV trailers before going back to the show.

Service Information
405 lines

Post by Service Information »

At a slight tangent, Network's DVD of Tyne Tees' splendid PAPER LADS has no internal break in the first series (aired in autumn 1977), but one in the second (aired in late 78- early 79).

David Savage
405 lines

Post by David Savage »

JezR wrote:Don't have a precise date, but it was around late 1972 - early 1973 that this stopped on ITV during the 'traditional' children's time in the late afternoon.
Robert's Robots had ad breaks in '74, as did Sky in '75, Nobody's House in '76, and A Bunch of Fives and Children of the Stones in '77, so there was no ban in the period after '73. And the half hour kids' programmes slots on the Sky channels now, at least, certainly have ad breaks.

JezR
625 lines

Post by JezR »

I don't think there was a straightforward 'ban' as such - if you look say in Television and Radio 1978 under the list of programmes shown without internal commercials it says 'some children's programmes' rather than all. HTV for one didn't see its fantasy programmes of the 1970s as being for children and showed some of them itself in the early evening.

Jezza
625 lines

Post by Jezza »

The entire series of the 70's Tomorrow People didn't have an ad break either...i think...unless Revelation edited them out?

JezR
625 lines

Post by JezR »

The scripts for The Tomorrow People that I have seen explicitly have a statement on the front page that there is to be no centre break. Foreign broadcasters dropped them in though ...

RobinCarmody
625 lines

Post by RobinCarmody »

Billy wrote:There's some odd exceptions such as The Krypton Factor, which somehow ran without an ad-break until 1993.
This Is Your Life also didn't have a break when it was on ITV.

I think that by the 1980s there was indeed an IBA rule forbidding ad breaks within half-hour children's dramas, hence why none of the Dramaramas or other productions of that time had them. Wasn't aware of any current EU rule or indeed of Sky channels flaunting it, but it wouldn't exactly surprise me if they did.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

RobinCarmody wrote:
Billy wrote:There's some odd exceptions such as The Krypton Factor, which somehow ran without an ad-break until 1993.
This Is Your Life also didn't have a break when it was on ITV.
Nor did University Challenge. I've always suspected that this may have been the factor that led to its demise - companies didn't want to schedule it in peak-time because of loss of revenue. The format could easily have accommodated a break, and I'm not quite sure why they didn't introduce one.

Matty
405 lines

Post by Matty »

Sesame Street, a whole hour programme, never had an ad break when I watched it on LWT in the seventies. Back then on Saturday mornings, it was quite a while before the first advert was shown - were there IBA rules about what time of day adverts could be shown? I remember watching "Mondays Newcomers" thinking that it was a special treat seeing adverts so early in the morning!

Lord Brett
405 lines

Post by Lord Brett »

This has turned into a more interesting discussion than I expected! I had imagined that the 'ban' had come in in the early 1980s - in fact the reason I was asking is connected to some research I'm doing into break stings on some classic childrens programmes. ITV's regional 1980s reruns of Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons and Fireball XL5, for instance, seem to have been shown with no ad breaks, though it was clear in the case of the former where the breaks were designed to fit.

Once again, thanks for some fascinating responses, and please keep them coming.