Whodunnit? (Jon Pertwee's hair)

What's not currently on the box
robinsmith
405 lines

Whodunnit? (Jon Pertwee's hair)

Post by robinsmith »

Just enjoying the latest Wodunnit? set, which I got for Christmas, series 3. This is the format I remember, with Mower on it every week. The third series seems to have a better class of actors in the 'drama', and guests on the panel too.

I have noticed Pertwee's hair seems to be styled differently from his Doctor Who work, more a 50's quiff (if that's how it's spelt). I'd always assumed his hair wasn't styled for 'Who'. An interesting array of medallions too, quite the dandy.

Anyway, onto the programme, it's certainly becoming a favourite, despite it's lightweight manner. The Pop group episode and the Chrsitmas special were both good fun, and I loved the railway episode on the series 2 set, which I watched with a couple of railway chaps. They both came away as fans.

So, what do you guys think of it so far?

Strutter1
Baird 30-line Televisor

Re: Whodunnit? (Jon Pertwee's hair)

Post by Strutter1 »

What do we think of it so far? - Rugg-ish! - but enough of the hair.

Absolutely love the series and looking forward to the imminent release of S4.

Don't know how true it is but a friend of mine's aunt used to work in make-up at the BBC back in the 70s and told him some years ago that Mr P could be a bit of a prima donna on occasion so that when he wound them up they gave him an extra bouff to try and make him look daft(er) on screen.

robinsmith
405 lines

Post by robinsmith »

I must say, I'm not doing very well guessing the murderers so far.

Most of the victims seem to be objectionable coves, but this is probably more to do with establishing a motive for the suspects, but I don't recall a much loved character getting killed.

I also, have to say, the audience panel always looka motley bunch with at least one old dear in Mary Whitehouse syle 'cruel glasses'...

I thought there would be more fans of the show discussing this one..

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

I bought the first Pertwee series last year and couldn't work out what the hell was going on in any of the episodes. I was amazed at how complex it was! TV today wouldn't dare be that cryptic. Lovely stuff but despite looking very TV Times it was on a brain level more with a broadsheet crossword.

I have the tie in book somewhere and that is pretty fiendish as well.

robinsmith
405 lines

Post by robinsmith »

Christmas Special has a nice cameo from creators Percival & Lloyd, while Eamonn Andrews & Hughie Green make an appearance too, in a bit of slapstick...

videoking
625 lines

Post by videoking »

At the end of each episode Pertwee would hold both hands up with his palms facing the camera. Was this a technical thing? What was it in reference to?

Michael
625 lines

Post by Michael »

I quite enjoyed Jimmy Jewel's quip in season 2: "Where did you get your haircut, in a pet shop?"

GarethR
HD

Post by GarethR »

videoking wrote:At the end of each episode Pertwee would hold both hands up with his palms facing the camera. Was this a technical thing? What was it in reference to?
Surely it was just a gimmick, a bit of schtick? No technical reason why he'd have done that.

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

It's vaguely a Whodunnit - and it's almost a "hands-up-guv-you-got-me-bang-to-rights type gesture.

Take your pick.

Michael
625 lines

Post by Michael »

Isn't there also a Radio Times cover with him doing it in Who cape and surrounded by various foes?

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

No.

GarethR
HD

Post by GarethR »

There *is* a very well-known publicity still of Pertwee doing a hands-up pose in his DW costume, but there are no monsters around him and the tone is more "stay back" than "it's a fair cop".

robinsmith
405 lines

Post by robinsmith »

Are you thinking about the one with Paul Jones and Parky on the cover, surrounding JP?

robinsmith
405 lines

Post by robinsmith »

Today's episode was a 'who smuggled it', instead of a murder. Mary Tamm was looking gorgeous, and Dad's Army's Verger was almost unrecognisable. I didn't know what to make of Jack Smethurst, as a personality, but Mower is a joy to watch, and his banter with Pertwee every week, shows a warmth these guys had for each other, I do hope I was like that off screen. Surprised Mower never got a part in Doctor Who..

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

There is a photo of Pertwee surrounded by monsters, and he is holding his hands up, supporting his cape, but it wasn't a Radio Times cover shot, that's the one Micheal means, I think.

As Gareth said, the Hands thing was just a bit of schtick, a Hello/Goodbye gesture.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Michael
625 lines

Post by Michael »

robinsmith wrote:Are you thinking about the one with Paul Jones and Parky on the cover, surrounding JP?
I think I'm confusing several pictures here. My memory must have merged them.

stevep
405 lines

Post by stevep »

videoking wrote:At the end of each episode Pertwee would hold both hands up with his palms facing the camera. Was this a technical thing? What was it in reference to?
Someone, either on the old forum or Roobarb's, said it's supposed to be a "W" (for Whodunnit). I think the idea was the main studio lights were to do down, leaving PeeWee doing the W thing in silhouette.

stevep
405 lines

Post by stevep »

Simon36 wrote:I bought the first Pertwee series last year and couldn't work out what the hell was going on in any of the episodes. I was amazed at how complex it was! TV today wouldn't dare be that cryptic. Lovely stuff but despite looking very TV Times it was on a brain level more with a broadsheet crossword.

I have the tie in book somewhere and that is pretty fiendish as well.
"3...2...1" was just as cryptic - that was a bit later, wasn't it? In "Cluedo", I was too busy watching old hasbeens like David McCallum, Tom Baker, Rula Lenska ham it up, rather than trying to figure out the mystery.

robinsmith
405 lines

Post by robinsmith »

Cluedo was just Whodunnit? updated, surely?

Is it me, but is there an awful lot of poisoning going on in this show, I'm praying for a good shooting, and that's not a phrase I use lightly...

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

robinsmith wrote:Cluedo was just Whodunnit? updated, surely?
By coincidence, had "Whodunnit?" continued,Thames had planned to cut the programme down to half hour shows.

"Cluedo" was okay, I suppose, wasn't a patch on "Whodunnit?", though, so the shorter "Whodunnit?" programmes wouldn't have been as good, IMHO.

I have a "Cluedo" script somewhere, must have a look for it.

Talk of the "Whodunnit?" Audience panel, they were selected by Lloyd or Percival, asking simple questions, such as "Who lived at 221B Baker St?", and the first with their hand up and the correct answer was in.!

David Boothroyd
625 lines

Post by David Boothroyd »

The thing I most remember about Cluedo was the terrible melodramatic confession speech which the unmasked perpetrator would have to make after being identified - there was obviously a rule requiring it to be made by a member of Overactors Unanimous. In Whodunnit (although I'm only picking it up now, never saw it at the time) the actors usually play it straight except for the occasional bit of backchat if one of the panel has tried to catch them out on a misleading bit of detail.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

David Boothroyd wrote:The thing I most remember about Cluedo was the terrible melodramatic confession speech which the unmasked perpetrator would have to make after being identified - there was obviously a rule requiring it to be made by a member of Overactors Unanimous. In Whodunnit (although I'm only picking it up now, never saw it at the time) the actors usually play it straight except for the occasional bit of backchat if one of the panel has tried to catch them out on a misleading bit of detail.
The "Whodunnit?" cast ususally went to a lot of trouble , on their characters, to try to ensure they didn't get caught out

jubbely
405 lines

Post by jubbely »

Cracking series this one. I think I only got 1 out of 10 this series and Anouska's lips and flicked hair keep driving me crazy (in a good way). JP's hair is best in episode 2 where it's kind of brycreemed at the sides, looks great :)

robinsmith
405 lines

Post by robinsmith »

Having finished the whole of series 3, I'm rewatching earleir episdoes, and episodes I may have missed from the first series.

Interesting how the format changed slightly from the early days.

Edward Woodward is avery uneasy host, I find, perhaps JP settled in better. Funnily enough (almost in a Three Doctors way), all three hosts of the show appear in 'Knife In The Back' Series One Disc One, with Woodward hosting (he was a guest in the pilot), Shaw Taylor on the panel (host on the pilot), and future host Pertwee also on the panel.

Shaw was slightly better than EW as host in the pilot, but you can tell they are still ironing out the creases and finding their way...

Glad they don't have so much of the audience input in the later episodes, and I'm also glad the 'choose a prize from the gubbins from the plot' bit was removed, and the £25 quid for charity bit...I note EW gets a bit steamed up in one edition when more than one panellist gets the whodunnit right, and they don't seem to want to award more than one £25 prize...

Still, good stuff, and very easy to watch more than one episode at a time...

Bob Richardson
625 lines

Post by Bob Richardson »

Michael wrote:Isn't there also a Radio Times cover with him doing it in Who cape and surrounded by various foes?
No, but there is this TV Times cover with Pertwee as "Dr Who-dunnit"

"Forfar 5 - East Fife 4"

Jezza
625 lines

Post by Jezza »

I still can't get over seeing Katy Manning puffing away on a ciggie during one of the episodes.

I was always fascinated by the way they stayed in character throughout the whole show, in the episode with Katy, she didn't batter an eyelid when Terry Scott mentioned the Doctor Who connection with Pertwee!