Lime Grove studios

What's not currently on the box
paul.austin
625 lines

Lime Grove studios

Post by paul.austin »

Why was it closed and demolished instead of being retained, or at least turned into a museum?

Gary C
405 lines

Re: Lime Grove studios

Post by Gary C »

for a start, it was too old fashioned to be kept being used by the BBC (I know, I used to work there). When the decision was taken to move out, I would have thought that the ground itself was too valuable an asset to keep a hold of, worth much more to just sell it.

Bernie
D-MAC

Post by Bernie »

Some people loved Lime Grove, and it certainly was historic, but it was also a terrible old rabbit warren well past its sell-by date. Once Stage 6 was built at Television Centre the current affairs people moved out and the place was pretty much empty and not worth updating - unlike Television Centre itself, the best studio centre in the UK. Unless you own Pinewood/Shepperton of course.

B

Westengland
625 lines

Post by Westengland »

[align=justify]It's the week of the sixtieth-fifth anniversary of the opening of Lime Grove as a television studio and the centenary year of its opening as a film studio. BBC Genome have posted a page noting the anniversaries on their Facebook account ( + linked on BBC Genome Twitter).[/align]
Expect trouble if you know more than they do.

Bob Richardson
625 lines

Post by Bob Richardson »

I was based at the Grove for years and loved the old place. It was so different from TV Centre - a little community away from TVC where we knew all the reception/security/bar staff by their first names. However, as Bernie says, it was a rambling old pile with quirky corridors like the bowels of an old ship in places and not very efficient in terms of production requirements. The studios were on the fourth floor, so everything had to be taken up in a large scenery lift or a tiny passenger lift which held about four people. The scenery lift broke down quite often. It was a very cramped site with extensions attached everywhere and four local houses connected by makeshift corridors to the main block. Some of the internal signage dated back to the days of Gainsborough Films and I was gutted not to be able to walk away with a souvenir when the demolition crews moved in.
"Forfar 5 - East Fife 4"

Richard Bignell
405 lines

Post by Richard Bignell »

Was there any particular reason that the studios were originally situated where they were in the building, rather than being on the ground floor?

Paul Hayes
625 lines

Post by Paul Hayes »

Piece about Lime Grove on the BBC blog at the moment:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aboutthebbc/ ... ae1037e4f5

Bob Richardson
625 lines

Post by Bob Richardson »

Richard Bignell wrote:Was there any particular reason that the studios were originally situated where they were in the building, rather than being on the ground floor?
Can't recall the exact reason but perhaps they were originally daylight studios and the elevation gave them access to sunlight through a glazed roof? Just a thought.
"Forfar 5 - East Fife 4"