Posters for TV Shows

What's not currently on the box
Simon36
HD

Posters for TV Shows

Post by Simon36 »

These days it's quite common to see billboards for television programmes, but I think of this as a very recent trend/ But yesterday I saw this in a shop, promoting the series About Face. I don't think I've ever seen a poster for a tv show before and certainly not of that era. Anyone know if this was a common practice?

Sorry for some reason it's come out sideways...

Brock
HD

Re: Posters for TV Shows

Post by Brock »

Simon36 wrote:These days it's quite common to see billboards for television programmes, but I think of this as a very recent trend/ But yesterday I saw this in a shop, promoting the series About Face. I don't think I've ever seen a poster for a tv show before and certainly not of that era. Anyone know if this was a common practice?

Sorry for some reason it's come out sideways...
It hasn't appeared at all in my browser.

penfold
625 lines

Post by penfold »

Assuming you mean the Maureen Lipman series from '89, just a thought; is the poster actually British ?? The reason being that I have a poster for Campion, made that same year; but it's American, for their Masterpiece Theater screenings; is 'your' poster similar, I wonder, a TV series exported, and the poster has made the return journey.

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

Sorry for not making it appear: I took it on my iphone and thought emailing it to myself and putting that url in would do it but it seems not. Maybe Im dim but I never quite have mastered how to do pics on here.

But it definitely is a British poster, announcing its first broadcast on ITV on Monday 6th November.

Bob Richardson
625 lines

Post by Bob Richardson »

BBC Enterprises publicity unit commissioned many promotional posters for TV shows, but they were primarily for foreign sales and rarely carried TX dates. They were used at various sales fairs such as MIP and Showcase.I wrote the copy for some of these during my stint as a promotions assistant. The BBC Exhibitions unit also had posters printed for "Secret Army", "Wings" and many other shows which formed the basis of costume displays.
"Forfar 5 - East Fife 4"

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Post by Nick Cooper 625 »

In the 1980 Rumpole's Return special, a poster for the Thames Telethon (i.e. the forerunner of the ITV Telethon) can be seen on the platform of an Underground station (Aldwych masquerading as Kentish Town). Maybe posters were more prevalent in the capital than the provinces?
"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo." [Wells]

David Smith
405 lines

Post by David Smith »

I'm pretty sure LWT used to run quite a lot of posters in the 1980s.

Clive
625 lines

Post by Clive »

I remember in the 80's seeing a billboard poster for "The William" (with The Bill logo and typeface) and the tag-line, 'a better class of Police drama'

I am not 100% sure of what it was refering to though, either the show itself or some related product.

ray lomas
405 lines

Post by ray lomas »

I can clearly remember seeing adverts for Granada's Sherlock Holmes on the side of Merseyside PTE buses around 1984.

simon10011
405 lines

Post by simon10011 »

There is an article on the Network site on The Tyrant King that shows a picture of the cast in front of a Routemaster advertising the show!