Didn't like it much then but like it now.....70's tv

What's not currently on the box
bill
405 lines

Re: Didn't like it much then but like it now.....70's tv

Post by bill »

Depends where you are coming from I guess marsey....I've heard many people say Sweeney looks 'dated' but for me
that's the whole point!! Different era, outrageous shirt collars, flares, geezers, birds and ford Granada's! Cops that
don't fart around, treading on the ice of political correctness. And they don't always get the villain either.
Was never a fan in the 70's, but now I really appreciate the quality, and of course Thaw and Waterman were excellent. On the other hand always liked Minder. Sometimes catch it on ITV4!

bill
405 lines

Post by bill »

Private Frazer wrote:Well I really don't find the fighting laughable; we'll just have to differ. I can't watch the episode Quin without getting emotional for Caroline's safety - there's nothing funny about that situation!

Suki has a few lines such as when she asks Harry if she should wrap up a toy for his son, or tells Harry he's improving after doing a Cato-like attack on him, or answers the phone.

The 1970's were my teenage years so it's nostalgia for me too.
ctraynor wrote:The Protectors approached its strongest in the episode Shadbolt, focusing on just one of the characters, Harry Rule. Location shooting in Edinburgh to boot. Not at all Cote d'Azur.
Shadbolt is quite good. The Avengerland website has all the Edinburgh locations and I'd love to go round them for photos sometime.

The Protectors is deserving of it's own thread!! Gets better as it goes along. Eps 11 Balance of terror[with the Judge himself, good 'ol Larry Naismith] 12 King con and 13 The big hit, quite a lot of fun!! Harry playing several characters in good humourous form!! Contessa di Costini[Caroline] wearing man-suits and outrageously enormous hats, Paul has a bit more input...and even Chino [Anthony Chinn] showing great sense of humour, both he and Suki [Yasuko Nagazumi - from Space 1999] getting more involved and even a few more lines. Names like Larry Naismith, Roy Ward-Baker, Cyril frankel, Ian Hendry, Brian Clemens all so familiar to Persuaders! fans.

Private Frazer
D-MAC

Post by Private Frazer »

I've always thought that compared to say The Avengers, The Protectors deserved more recognition. You've motivated me; I've started a thread and I hope there are some good discussions. (I notice you are watching the episodes in a different order from me, so I've put a bit about the order at the start of the thread). Thank you!
"Now listen you guys, I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going on out here..."

bill
405 lines

Post by bill »

Well, maybe not so much that I didn't like it as I was too young to appreciate it at the time[1964] - - -
GIDEON'S WAY - with the great John Gregson. Have had the Network DVD box set of this ITC series a while.
Just took it out tonight and randomly put on an episode called 'Tin God'. Very good, great guests,
the superb Derren Nesbitt and a very boyish looking John Hurt. Plenty of early 60's London scenes.
Really enjoyed it.