It Ain't Half Un-PC Mum...

What's not currently on the box
Duncan
625 lines
Posts: 202
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:45 pm

Re: It Ain't Half Un-PC Mum...

Post by Duncan »

Thanks for letting us know.

Mark
Committee
Posts: 3239
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:26 am

Re: It Ain't Half Un-PC Mum...

Post by Mark »

Seems odd that those two "IAHHM" episodes were lost, the Beeb were obviously selling them at that time, and on Colour VT.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

User avatar
Spiny Norman
D-MAC
Posts: 868
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: It Ain't Half Un-PC Mum...

Post by Spiny Norman »

Mark wrote:Seems odd that those two "IAHHM" episodes were lost, the Beeb were obviously selling them at that time, and on Colour VT.
Exactly! Perhaps the one arm didn't know what the other still had??
This is nøt å signåture.™

Mark
Committee
Posts: 3239
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:26 am

Re: It Ain't Half Un-PC Mum...

Post by Mark »

Spiny Norman wrote:
Mark wrote:Seems odd that those two "IAHHM" episodes were lost, the Beeb were obviously selling them at that time, and on Colour VT.
Exactly! Perhaps the one arm didn't know what the other still had??
Most likely, it's suggested on-line they were wiped shortly after the July 74 repeat, they had obviously been sold overseas by then, so the strange loss of two episodes must have been an error.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

User avatar
Spiny Norman
D-MAC
Posts: 868
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: It Ain't Half Un-PC Mum...

Post by Spiny Norman »

Mark wrote:
Spiny Norman wrote:
Mark wrote:Seems odd that those two "IAHHM" episodes were lost, the Beeb were obviously selling them at that time, and on Colour VT.
Exactly! Perhaps the one arm didn't know what the other still had??
Most likely, it's suggested on-line they were wiped shortly after the July 74 repeat, they had obviously been sold overseas by then, so the strange loss of two episodes must have been an error.
How do you mean?

They really are lost today, since the DVD contains only off-air abridged VHS, that were recorded 1988 in Adelaide, AU, and were only returned ca. 2000.

But the same two episodes were sold and shown for a 1990 run in the Netherlands??
This is nøt å signåture.™

Mark
Committee
Posts: 3239
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:26 am

Re: It Ain't Half Un-PC Mum...

Post by Mark »

My fault, I'll put it a better way.

Series 1 shown early 74, then sold overseas ( including Australia) series 1 repeated in UK during summer 74, and then the two episodes were wiped ( likely in error) meaning any further sales of series 1 would be minus those two episodes.

The Australian copies ( on DVD) must be the original ones that were sold there, as for the Netherlands ones, they may have shown them in 1990 but they couldn't have been sold there at that time, as they had been wiped, so had they purchased the series in 74 as well?, or were they obtained from elsewhere?, likely they have gone as well by now.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

User avatar
Spiny Norman
D-MAC
Posts: 868
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: It Ain't Half Un-PC Mum...

Post by Spiny Norman »

Mark wrote:My fault, I'll put it a better way.

Series 1 shown early 74, then sold overseas ( including Australia) series 1 repeated in UK during summer 74, and then the two episodes were wiped ( likely in error) meaning any further sales of series 1 would be minus those two episodes.

The Australian copies ( on DVD) must be the original ones that were sold there, as for the Netherlands ones, they may have shown them in 1990 but they couldn't have been sold there at that time, as they had been wiped, so had they purchased the series in 74 as well?, or were they obtained from elsewhere?, likely they have gone as well by now.
They had been shown there some 12 years before as well, but on a different channel. (And another dozen years later, early 2000s, they were shown again, but this time without those two episodes.)

It's not very likely that they used the same broadcast masters in 1990 as in 1978 (Dutch première) in my opinion. Were there still "bicycle chain"-like operations at that time?
This is nøt å signåture.™

Mark
Committee
Posts: 3239
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:26 am

Re: It Ain't Half Un-PC Mum...

Post by Mark »

Unlikely the two episodes were wiped after 1978, as they weren't really doing that by then, unless there was something wrong with the tapes.

So I suppose it does depend on exactly when the two episodes were lost.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

User avatar
Spiny Norman
D-MAC
Posts: 868
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: It Ain't Half Un-PC Mum...

Post by Spiny Norman »

Mark wrote:Unlikely the two episodes were wiped after 1978, as they weren't really doing that by then, unless there was something wrong with the tapes.

So I suppose it does depend on exactly when the two episodes were lost.
I suppose it's vaguely possible that they were lost in 1991 and then the Australian fans read about it and noticed they still had tapes. But I would really expect them to have been lost long before that.

So, yes, basically what you said, plus a question mark, and the hope that someone might have more information...
This is nøt å signåture.™

Post Reply