Australian kids tv show from late 1980s or early 1990s

What's not currently on the box
Don Satchley
625 lines

Australian kids tv show from late 1980s or early 1990s

Post by Don Satchley »

I have a memory of a tv show about a girl and her family and friends, from Australia and broadcast over here in the late 1980s or early 1990s. The only thing that sticks in the memory is the blonde typical Aussie father of the time, who supported Collingwood Aussie Rules team. For a long time I thought it was Betty's Bunch but having just seen an episode on youtube it is clearly another show. Does anyone have any idea what show I am thinking of? Sorry I can't remember any more :)
Don

Scary
625 lines

Re: Australian kids tv show from late 1980s or early 1990s

Post by Scary »

Don Satchley
625 lines

Post by Don Satchley »

No I also remember Round The Twist, but that was set in a Lighthouse. This other series was much more forgettable. I think maybe it is beyond dredging up as I remembered so little of it and for decades thought it was Betty's Bunch. I think it was on at around the same time as that show and I must have linked them.

tynetees
405 lines

Post by tynetees »

The Henderson Kids?

Don Satchley
625 lines

Post by Don Satchley »

Just checked and it's not that series either. It was a contemporary show. I think it was most probably early 1990s as opposed to late 1980s now, if that is any help. This Aussie Rules memory is what has stayed with me because I had never seen or heard of the sport until this programme. I think soon after Channel 4 started showing Aussie Rules on UK tv.

Mickey
625 lines

Post by Mickey »

"The Henderson Kids" was contemporary, but they didn't have a father, blond or otherwise. Good show, until the total revamp for season two. If your show was about a girl, was it on Children's TV? If so, Wikipedia have a page on Australian children's series, which might help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:A ... ion_series

It's not an exhaustive list ("Colour In The Creek" is missing, for one, and by the look of it so's "The Henderson Kids"), but it might do the trick.

Don Satchley
625 lines

Post by Don Satchley »

Thanks Mickey but I tried wikipedia and lists like that before posting here. I think the title might have the girl's name in.

Ross
D-MAC

Post by Ross »

I'd say Pugwall, but he was a girl rather than a boy. Although his sister, Marmaloid, and girlfriend Jenny were major characters.

Don Satchley
625 lines

Post by Don Satchley »

Thanks for the tip, but it's not Pugwall either. The girl who was the main character had a short haircut if that helps. Is there any list about of Aussie/NZ programmes that were broadcast over here from this time period?
Thanks
Don

Roll ACR
625 lines

Post by Roll ACR »

"The Bartons" ????

Don Satchley
625 lines

Post by Don Satchley »

That's it! Thank you Roll ACR, I was beginning to think I had dreamt that one up. Youtube confirms the girl and her dad were as remembered. Thanks very much!
Don

Don Satchley
625 lines

Post by Don Satchley »

Having looked about on the internet a bit, there is hardly a mention of this tv show. Another thing I had forgotten about it was that it looked like it was filmed in the next street to Neighbours, as the houses were very similar in build to the other show.

murphy1961
405 lines

Post by murphy1961 »

As a matter of interest I have reproduced below the entry for The Bartons, although it seems to have been called C/O (Care of?) The Bartons, from a book I have called Moran's Guide To Australian TV Series, published in 1993. This is a great reference book but it does contain the odd minor error here and there.

Although I'm Australian I have no recollection at all of this show, but judging by the description below and when it aired it probably was not the kind of thing that I would have been into at the time as I was approaching my late 20s in the late 1980s. But having said that I remember The Henderson Kids and it was around the same time (a couple of years earlier perhaps) as this and sounds like it has a similar theme.

C/O The Bartons

Children's Series
Number of episodes: 12
Length: 30 minutes
Produced by: The Australian Broadcasting Corporation, Revcom (France) and the Australian Children's Television Foundation (ACTF)
Format: Series produced on videotape, in colour
Began on air: 29 February 1988

Producer: Jennifer Hooks. Director: Peter Dodds, Richard Sarell, Mandy Smith. Scriptwriter: Jocelyn Moorhouse, Paul Hogan, Greg Millin, Noel Robinson. Sound: Ivan Kayne. Editor: Ken Tyler, Gary Watson, Phil Seymour. Production Design: Paul Cleveland. Cast: Olivia Harkin, Michael O'Reilly, Matt Day, Ben Toovey, Frankie J Holden, Jennifer Jarman-Walker.

This children's series concerned the Barton family - mother, father, three boys and one girl, their neighbourhood friends (both adults and children) in the new suburb of Banksiawood. The various episodes both comic and serious dealt with their family life and that of their community. C/O The Bartons had its genesis in a 16-minute short student film written and directed by Jocelyn Moorehouse while studying at the Australian Film, Television and Radio school. Entitled The Seige of the Bartons' Bathroom, the film was in effect a kind of pilot for the series and became the basis of the first episode. Moorehouse joined the production as a writer and ultimately provided five of the dozen scripts used in the series. C/O The Bartons had several features in common with Kaboodle, including the same producer, some of the same writers and directors as well as the involvement of the ACTF. However, this series had a continuing storyline and characters. It featured several interesting faces, including musicians Frankie J Holden and Olivia Harkin and, with the involvement of Revcom France, had a larger production budget.

[My words] The "Paul Hogan" listed as a scriptwriter is not the comedian/actor Paul Hogan, it's another one who usually goes by the name P.J.Hogan and is better known as a writer and director. He directed amongst other things the film Muriel's Wedding (1994), I don't know if anyone's heard of that over there. It doesn't say where it was made but if there are references to Collingwood and Aussie Rules football then most likely it would be Melbourne hence the possible similarity visually to Neighbours. Although really there's little difference between suburban Melbourne or Sydney or Brisbane and so on, most Australian suburbia tends to look similar. Kaboodle was an Australian childrens anthology series shown about the same time as The Bartons which (apparently) featured animation, puppetry and real action in the one show all pertaining to a different theme each week, I don't have any recollection of it either, I got the info out of the book.

Anyway I hope this is of some interest.

Don Satchley
625 lines

Post by Don Satchley »

Thanks for that article. The name Banksiawood was a blast from he past. I remember thinking at the time that it was an odd name for a place. Some really good info there, thanks very much.
Don

RayB
405 lines

Post by RayB »

"Paul Hogan" in the list of writers. Could it be "the" Paul Hogan? Probably not, but I thought I'd ask...

murphy1961
405 lines

Post by murphy1961 »

RayB wrote:"Paul Hogan" in the list of writers. Could it be "the" Paul Hogan? Probably not, but I thought I'd ask...
No it's not the same one, this one usually goes by the name P.J.Hogan and is more known as a movie director. I thought it may have been the same one at first.
Don Satchley wrote:Thanks for that article. The name Banksiawood was a blast from he past. I remember thinking at the time that it was an odd name for a place. Some really good info there, thanks very much.
Don
No worries, it's nice to make even a small contribution. It's hard being from Australia and trying to contribute to the forum in any useful way, while I've heard of most of the TV shows discussed here and know some of them quite well (I've been watching TV for surely at least 48 years - I'm 53 this year) it can still be hard to contribute something interesting. For example the post "The Battle For Britain's Breakfast" is one I can't really contribute to as obviously I haven't seen any British breakfast TV apart from the odd snippet here and there I suppose. I watched the said doco online and found it fascinating but can't really make any great comment about the subject. But it's a great forum and gives me many hours of interesting reading.