Network.

What's not currently on the box
JWG
D-MAC
Posts: 996
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:08 am

Re: Network?

Post by JWG »

Network say that the film project,which was launched a year ago,is going well,with 100 titles released and 350 to go.At the current rate,they'll be completed by about the end of 2017.

User avatar
Richard A
625 lines
Posts: 292
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:10 pm

Re: Network?

Post by Richard A »

Yes, I noticed that. It's actually quite daunting news if they really mean to go ahead with releasing all those titles. The problem, aside from the sheer issue of storage and the alternatives (discussion of which has largely taken over this thread in recent times), is that your personal supply and demand balance is skewed. I'd actually like to 'own' (I hate that term, 'have immediately available' is better) about 40% of what's currently in the 'The British Film' catalogue but that would represent a huge investment, even at the comparatively reasonable prices that Network have set. In the days of meagre supply, you could sort of keep up with what was being released. Having said that, I welcome the availability of such a cornucopia of British film (I, for one, am very patriotic in my film preferences). It looks like I'll just have to take an evening job to afford it all.

SteveBoyce
405 lines
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:22 pm

Re: Network?

Post by SteveBoyce »

Nick Cooper 625 wrote:
JWG wrote:I'd actually be keen on a VAT holiday for UK TV and films on DVD.
Given how hard certain lobbyists worked to close the CI VAT "loophole," you're into Felix in Hades territory there.
Basically closing that loophole killed the last chance of any domestic competition to Amazon operating out of Luxembourg and bonded warehouses. So well done all the people who campaigned for that one...

SteveBoyce
405 lines
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:22 pm

Re: Network?

Post by SteveBoyce »

Juswuh wrote:Basically, Network ought to make some public statement of policy with regard to TV releases. (Personally I think there's about as much chance of their releasing stuff on Baird Phonovision as on DVD-R....)
I don't know about ought to, but I wish they would. And I bet if Simply or Acorn tried to release any ITV titles, network would be in with a spoiler release of the same titles quickly enough.

User avatar
Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC
Posts: 964
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:42 am
Location: Hither Green, London
Contact:

Re: Network?

Post by Nick Cooper 625 »

SteveBoyce wrote:
Nick Cooper 625 wrote:
JWG wrote:I'd actually be keen on a VAT holiday for UK TV and films on DVD.
Given how hard certain lobbyists worked to close the CI VAT "loophole," you're into Felix in Hades territory there.
Basically closing that loophole killed the last chance of any domestic competition to Amazon operating out of Luxembourg and bonded warehouses. So well done all the people who campaigned for that one...
Indeed. Most advocates seemed to be bitter individuals annoyed that online trade in general had doomed their bricks-and-mortar stores, who blinkeredly allied themselves with elements of the same trade that could no longer take advantage of the same loophole.
"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo." [Wells]

User avatar
DavidAbsalom
405 lines
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:54 am

Re: Network?

Post by DavidAbsalom »

Network has just released a statement on their Facebook page:
As many of you have noticed, we have temporarily shifted priorities with regards to the releasing of our films and TV titles, but we assure you we have a very exciting announcement coming up in a month or so that we just cannot release at the moment for a number of reasons. But, we assure you, it’ll be worth the wait for all of you classic TV fans…
Let the speculation begin.

Koen
405 lines
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:34 pm

Re: Network?

Post by Koen »

Of course I want to read that as "we're going to release every BBC programme ever made" and they're making it easy to believe just that. "Temporarily shifted" = we're returning to TV for a considerable period (and there aren't many UK archives that could provide the materials for a long run of releases).

However, I'm a pessimist so it's likely to be something else. ;-)

User avatar
Beaker
625 lines
Posts: 275
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:22 pm

Re: Network?

Post by Beaker »

Milligan.....please let it be some Milligan. (Crosses fingers, clutches lucky heather and persuades both of his black cats to walk in his path.)
If I were creating the world I wouldn't mess about with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers, eight o'clock, Day One!

Michael
625 lines
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:41 pm
Location: Oxford

Re: Network?

Post by Michael »

Loath though I am to make reference to such things as "omni-rumours" on a non-Who thread, but could there be some material in the Philip Morris haul that would ultimately fall to Network for release? I mean commercial channel programs rather than BBC ones. The noise generated in certain quarters with regard to Mr. Morris' efforts tends to draw attention away from other things he may have come across - things unrelated to [not]everyone's favourite show.

User avatar
Ross
D-MAC
Posts: 643
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:06 am

Re: Network?

Post by Ross »

It could well be various Gerry Anderson series on Blu-ray, which would be nice.

The more the merrier though... and please let Soldier & Me be amongst the announcements.

DavidT
405 lines
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:01 pm

Re: Network?

Post by DavidT »

Downloads perhaps?

Mike S
D-MAC
Posts: 725
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:05 pm

Re: Network?

Post by Mike S »

They teased us with a GREAT NEWS INSIDE READERS announcement a few months back, and I honestly can't remember what it eventually turned out to be. Another sale wasn't it? Either that or they'd put Boon series four in a slightly nicer box.

Does anyone know, by the way, why the BFI have been suddenly been able to put out hitherto 'holy grail' BBC titles like Out of the Unknown and Shalken the Painter? What's actually going on there? What's changed? Network presumably would have killed to release OOTU, and it's a reasonable assumption that the price was simply too high...yet the BFI famously have a budget of bugger-all.

GarethR
HD
Posts: 1160
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:18 pm

Re: Network?

Post by GarethR »

Mike S wrote: the BFI famously have a budget of bugger-all.
Just a wild guess, but possibly it was the simple fact that it *was* the BFI?

OOTU hasn't gone through the Restoration Team though, so once the discs are out, expect the praise to be tempered with complaints about the picture quality.

User avatar
Simon36
HD
Posts: 1087
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:43 am

Re: Network?

Post by Simon36 »

I can't believe the moaning! Especially since no one knows what the hell the news is yet except that it's likely to be good.

JWG
D-MAC
Posts: 996
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:08 am

Re: Network?

Post by JWG »

Mike S wrote:They teased us with a GREAT NEWS INSIDE READERS announcement a few months back, and I honestly can't remember what it eventually turned out to be. Another sale wasn't it? Either that or they'd put Boon series four in a slightly nicer box.

Does anyone know, by the way, why the BFI have been suddenly been able to put out hitherto 'holy grail' BBC titles like Out of the Unknown and Shalken the Painter? What's actually going on there? What's changed? Network presumably would have killed to release OOTU, and it's a reasonable assumption that the price was simply too high...yet the BFI famously have a budget of bugger-all.
Mike,I've just used the "great news" phrase at missing-episodes,and your post here is pretty much what I was feeling,but I really do think this is a reason to be cheerful.It wasn't looking too good before,to put it mildly,hence this thread.Fingers crossed.

Mike S
D-MAC
Posts: 725
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:05 pm

Re: Network?

Post by Mike S »

GarethR wrote: Just a wild guess, but possibly it was the simple fact that it *was* the BFI?
Yeah, but why are the archive TV fans at the BFI suddenly saying 'Um...any chance of Out Of The Unknown?' now?

longtimelurker
405 lines
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:05 pm

Re: Network?

Post by longtimelurker »

Mike S wrote: Does anyone know, by the way, why the BFI have been suddenly been able to put out hitherto 'holy grail' BBC titles like Out of the Unknown and Shalken the Painter? What's actually going on there? What's changed?
Seems to tie in with their SF season screenings on the South Bank in some way as it needs to be out for then apparently (although this is really just a narrow London thing to connect it to, isn't it). I do agree with you in that I can't see what has suddenly shifted. OOTU on DVD? It seemed a remote dream just a year ago. Why also have the BFI changed policy with regard to TV material? We have already had Robin Redbreast and a few others but I thought that would be it again after the TV releases dried up a decade ago.

Gareth is right. Once the set is out, there will be complaints about lack of restoration and no Vidfire. It would be lovely to have the full RT job on this series but I never expect anything like that from BFI releases. I'll just be happy to finally have the series on my shelf and that's the bottom line really.

User avatar
Billy Smart
625 lines
Posts: 407
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:13 pm

Re: Network?

Post by Billy Smart »

I think that the BFI TV DVD releases originally dried up because the BBC charged prohibitively high licencing fees.

The renewed interest is because Ghost Stories For Christmas has been a big success for the BFI and one of their top sellers, so they've identified some other cult titles likely to attract the same sort of audience.

longtimelurker
405 lines
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:05 pm

Re: Network?

Post by longtimelurker »

Yes that does sound plausible. I expect it will be limited to a finite cache of accepted cult / fantasy titles though and will end eventually. It would be nice if the big Network announcement was news of BBC releases as it would be a broader sweep of their archive than the BFI probably have in mind for themselves.

How's the circus doing these days, Billy?

ian b
D-MAC
Posts: 659
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:58 pm

Re: Network?

Post by ian b »

Billy Smart wrote:I think that the BFI TV DVD releases originally dried up because the BBC charged prohibitively high licencing fees.
This. Which has eased lately, hence more BBC releases from the BFI, Simply and Acorn recently.

Though it absolutely beggars belief that if an outside company thinks it can spin a profit from BBC titles along with the extra layer of effort that that entails, why Worldwide don't issue these series themselves.

User avatar
Tim D
405 lines
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:04 am

Re: Network?

Post by Tim D »

Kaleidoscope has some involvement in advising the BFI on ideas and preparation of this new range of television releases. Kaleidoscope and the BFI are also inviting input regarding future titles for release over in their Facebook group. If you've got any good ideas, it's worth popping over there and having your say.

User avatar
Simon36
HD
Posts: 1087
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:43 am

Re: Network?

Post by Simon36 »

I have to say I'm very surprised the BFI haven't released Penda's Fen yet. Thought that would have top of the list!

Mike S
D-MAC
Posts: 725
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:05 pm

Re: Network?

Post by Mike S »

ian b wrote:Which has eased lately, hence more BBC releases from the BFI, Simply and Acorn recently.
But not Network, for some reason.

Unless that's what the GREAT NEWS READERS announcement is all about.

User avatar
The Black Nun
625 lines
Posts: 138
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:53 am
Contact:

Re: Network?

Post by The Black Nun »

Mike S wrote:
ian b wrote:Which has eased lately, hence more BBC releases from the BFI, Simply and Acorn recently.
But not Network, for some reason.

Unless that's what the GREAT NEWS READERS announcement is all about.
There was some bad blood between Network and the BBC many years ago which put a stop to their BBC releases. I don't think the cost of licensing was a big problem because they were merrily releasing BBC titles up to a certain point, then suddenly stopped aside from a few which they still had the rights to.

SDG1970
405 lines
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:27 am

Re: Network?

Post by SDG1970 »

videoking wrote:Space 1999 Series 2 on Blu Ray, Nuff Said!
Or just a 'vanilla' set, for those not particularly wanting a Blu-Ray release. Must be approaching 10 years now since S1 was released by Network!??! The 'Networks' treated it badly back in the day - seems like history is repeating itself. . .

SteveBoyce
405 lines
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:22 pm

Re: Network?

Post by SteveBoyce »

Mike S wrote:
Does anyone know, by the way, why the BFI have been suddenly been able to put out hitherto 'holy grail' BBC titles like Out of the Unknown and Shalken the Painter? What's actually going on there? What's changed? Network presumably would have killed to release OOTU, and it's a reasonable assumption that the price was simply too high...yet the BFI famously have a budget of bugger-all.
I think the BBC reduced their prices a year or so ago, simple as that. That's why you're starting to see a lot more BBC "from the archives" material being released generally.

SteveBoyce
405 lines
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:22 pm

Re: Network?

Post by SteveBoyce »

Simon36 wrote:I have to say I'm very surprised the BFI haven't released Penda's Fen yet. Thought that would have top of the list!
Seconded for that one! (Plus an uncut Artemis of course ... which will never happen)

SteveBoyce
405 lines
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:22 pm

Re: Network?

Post by SteveBoyce »

ian b wrote:
Billy Smart wrote:I think that the BFI TV DVD releases originally dried up because the BBC charged prohibitively high licencing fees.
This. Which has eased lately, hence more BBC releases from the BFI, Simply and Acorn recently.

Though it absolutely beggars belief that if an outside company thinks it can spin a profit from BBC titles along with the extra layer of effort that that entails, why Worldwide don't issue these series themselves.
Soorry, I see my previous post was well redundant.

regarding your point, WW are set a much higher target for profit margin. The independents have to work on much smaller margins.

User avatar
Simon36
HD
Posts: 1087
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:43 am

Re: Network?

Post by Simon36 »

SteveBoyce wrote:
Simon36 wrote:I have to say I'm very surprised the BFI haven't released Penda's Fen yet. Thought that would have top of the list!
Seconded for that one! (Plus an uncut Artemis of course ... which will never happen)
Would Artemis be so unlikely?

SteveBoyce
405 lines
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:22 pm

Re: Network?

Post by SteveBoyce »

Simon36 wrote:
SteveBoyce wrote:
Simon36 wrote:I have to say I'm very surprised the BFI haven't released Penda's Fen yet. Thought that would have top of the list!
Seconded for that one! (Plus an uncut Artemis of course ... which will never happen)
Would Artemis be so unlikely?
Well I think so given it was released once already, and I noticed too late it was cut after I'd chucked out my uncut pirate dvd! We can dream of course :-)

Post Reply