Darren Fricker
405 lines

Re: Network.

Post by Darren Fricker »

drmih
625 lines

Post by drmih »

I was hoping that it might be the missing BBC first series given the announcement regarding the one episode.

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

Darren Fricker wrote:Fingers crossed...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Morecambe-Wise- ... +of+a+kind
That listing for the second series of TWO OF A KIND has been up for a year or two - and the date of the end of the year smacks of being a placeholder. Especially as that's a Wednesday, not a Monday.

JWG
D-MAC

Post by JWG »

No need to panic,but Network are having a 'Last Chance Sale of half-a-dozen film titles.'The Day the Earth Caught Fire'.Vanilla version @ £3.00 or the Special Edition with a commentary by director Val Guest,and a va-va-voom photo gallery @ £4.00.Difficult call.
Anyway...Network have a vast back catalogue.Am I right in thinking this is the first time in ages that they've announced that titles are to be deleted?

Mike S
D-MAC

Post by Mike S »

When's this big announcement supposed to be happening then?

JWG
D-MAC

Post by JWG »

In theory,they should be announcing any perfect-gifts-for-Christmas releases soon.Though generally,am I right in thinking that the period between release-announcements and releases has been growing quite short lately?
Come September/October (?) Network hold back on announcing new releases for a month or so.

JWG
D-MAC

Post by JWG »

Meanwhile,it gets even quieter on the classic TV front as the Deluxe Mk1 edition of the Professionals is postponed to next year. http://networkonair.com/features/2014/0 ... sionals-3/

Crystal Tipps
405 lines

Post by Crystal Tipps »

Still no news then of this Network news announcement? How long has it been now since they posted about it on their Facebook page? Oh well, as a result of Network slowing down their archive TV output these past months, my money has been going to Amazon (US) buying up TV classics like, Dragnet, Adam 12, Bat Masterson, Sea Hunt etc.

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

It's a bit of a mystery to me why folk bang on about the slowing down of archive tv releases from Network while totally overlooking that the BBC Worldwide haven't exactly been going great guns in that department themselves the past couple of years, (or modern stuff for that matter).

Yes, it looks like it's easier for third parties to licence BBC material these days - but that's a few selected programmes from two, maybe three, particular companies.

Crystal Tipps
405 lines

Post by Crystal Tipps »

Well if we can't come onto a forum that's all about Film and TV and have a discussion or even a moan about something with other people interested in this sort of thing then where can we go? No mystery about it at all Ian. The issue here is about Network, indeed, the thread title is called um,..Network, so that's what we are discussing. All things Network.

longtimelurker
405 lines

Post by longtimelurker »

I share your pain, Crystal Tipps. The mystery is why such a regular flow of tv releases by Network for so long and then suddenly......tumbleweed. As television of the vintage kind is my main interest, I'm suddenly finding myself in a very quiet period as of 2014. I just would like to know why it has happened like this and is this the end of the line for tv releases from them? There are a certain amount of interesting BBC programmes coming out soon but there is still work to be done by Network with a lot of ITV material, which is why it is so perplexing.

JWG
D-MAC

Post by JWG »

I changed the thread-title from the previous ' Network?' because we know that the Network-that-was will be back in one form or another.Obviously,we're anxious/interested in the subject given the paucity of information.

thebeekeeper
625 lines

Post by thebeekeeper »

I can see why people might be disappointed that Networks classic tv schedule has slowed down but it seems obvious to me that this is all down to the huge number of films from Studio Canal that they want to release . Was it something like 350 ?

I assume they can't handle an unlimited amount of material so possibly the SC movies need to be released speedily in order to complete them with enough time of the licencing deal left for them to have a reasonable sales window.

I'm sure once this British Film rollercoaster comes to an end Network will be back to classic tv.

Apparently Fremantle have taken over Renown who own the Southern Archive and as Network have a Fremantle deal in place maybe this long awaited news is a more regular supply of Southern product?

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

Crystal Tipps wrote:Well if we can't come onto a forum that's all about Film and TV and have a discussion or even a moan about something with other people interested in this sort of thing then where can we go? No mystery about it at all Ian. The issue here is about Network, indeed, the thread title is called um,..Network, so that's what we are discussing. All things Network.
It was a "general comment" not a dig at you. Posted quickly on a phone in a brief lull at work, and apologies if it reads like I'm a having a go at your comments. It's intention was meant to be launch another talking point.

longtimelurker
405 lines

Post by longtimelurker »

thebeekeeper wrote: Apparently Fremantle have taken over Renown who own the Southern Archive and as Network have a Fremantle deal in place maybe this long awaited news is a more regular supply of Southern product?
That's good news!

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

thebeekeeper wrote:Apparently Fremantle have taken over Renown who own the Southern Archive and as Network have a Fremantle deal in place maybe this long awaited news is a more regular supply of Southern product?
Is that a known fact? It's been said in one post at Roobarb's, but other than that I can't seem to find out any more info.

It's certainly not listed on Fremantle's own site...

http://www.fremantlemedia.com/home.aspx

thebeekeeper
625 lines

Post by thebeekeeper »

I saw it somewhere but it's not confirmed.

I just did a little digging and I wonder if someone has seen that Fremantle have distribution rights to Renown films and taken that as meaning Renown have been taken over ?

longtimelurker
405 lines

Post by longtimelurker »

ian b wrote:
thebeekeeper wrote:Apparently Fremantle have taken over Renown who own the Southern Archive and as Network have a Fremantle deal in place maybe this long awaited news is a more regular supply of Southern product?
Is that a known fact? It's been said in one post at Roobarb's, but other than that I can't seem to find out any more info.

It's certainly not listed on Fremantle's own site...

http://www.fremantlemedia.com/home.aspx
I was wondering about that too. I certainly haven't seen it written anywhere. Maybe it is as said that someone confused their distribution deal with ownership? I hope it is true though. The Southern library needs a solid owner to consolidate the holdings securely once and for all.

Crystal Tipps
405 lines

Post by Crystal Tipps »

ian b wrote: It was a "general comment", mate, not a dig at you. Posted quickly on a phone in a brief lull at work, and apologies if it reads like I'm a having a go at your comments. It's intention was meant to be launch another talking point.
No apologies needed. However, your comment did come across as a bit anti to everyone who are talking about the slow down of Networks archive TV material.

Please don't call me mate either. I am a female and I hate blokes calling me mate. This forum and Roobarbs are very male oriented but please remember that some women like to collect archive TV too. Just saying. Thanks.

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

"Mate" deleted.

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

(double post deleted too)

JWG
D-MAC

Post by JWG »

ian b wrote:"Mate" deleted.
ian-no malice intended,only a smile-but Crystal Tipps is female,though I admit that the image is ambiguous!

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

JWG wrote:
ian b wrote:"Mate" deleted.
ian-no malice intended,only a smile-but Crystal Tipps is female,though I admit that the image is ambiguous!
The gender is irrelevant; I'm a bloke, and I don't like blokes calling me 'mate'. In fact, in my part of the world it's an open invitation to the question "Hooz mate are yee ,like?"

longtimelurker
405 lines

Post by longtimelurker »

Crystal Tipps wrote:
ian b wrote: Please don't call me mate either. I am a female and I hate blokes calling me mate. This forum and Roobarbs are very male oriented but please remember that some women like to collect archive TV too. Just saying. Thanks.
I'm male and I hate being called "mate" too. The one that I really detest though is when you go into a pub in a male / female group and the person serving says "what can I get you, GUYS?" Arghhhhhhhhhh!!

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

It's insulting, disrespectful and unacceptable. I went into a restaurant with my brother, and our elderly mother, and was asked 'Are you guys OK?' I told the waiter we were fine, and so is 'our mam', and please don't leave her out.

He then had an interesting choice of explanations!

longtimelurker
405 lines

Post by longtimelurker »

brigham wrote:It's insulting, disrespectful and unacceptable. I went into a restaurant with my brother, and our elderly mother, and was asked 'Are you guys OK?' I told the waiter we were fine, and so is 'our mam', and please don't leave her out.
I'm glad someone else agrees. Unfortunately it's common practice everywhere nowadays.

Mike S
D-MAC

Post by Mike S »

The pan-gender use of 'guys' is OK to my ears. It always sounds friendly enough.

I've never really minded 'mate' either. Although I did wince slightly when my GP used it.

thebeekeeper
625 lines

Post by thebeekeeper »

brigham wrote:It's insulting, disrespectful and unacceptable. I went into a restaurant with my brother, and our elderly mother, and was asked 'Are you guys OK?' I told the waiter we were fine, and so is 'our mam', and please don't leave her out.

He then had an interesting choice of explanations!
He probably rolled his eyes and ensured the kitchen staff spat in your food

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

We came to an understanding like two intelligent people. He refrained from referring to my mother as a 'guy', and I refrained from head-butting him in the face.

thebeekeeper
625 lines

Post by thebeekeeper »

brigham wrote:We came to an understanding like two intelligent people. He refrained from referring to my mother as a 'guy', and I refrained from head-butting him in the face.
He probably still rolled his eyes and ensured they spat in your food.