Memorable non-celebrity gameshow contestants

What's not currently on the box
George White
625 lines
Posts: 184
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:46 pm

Memorable non-celebrity gameshow contestants

Post by George White »

ANy gameshow guests/contestants that stuck in the mind, real people who just seemed to be very memorable, be that for any reason possible?
On Winning Streak, an Irish gameshow, there was an auld lad who looked a bit like Glenn Ford, from somewhere in the south countryside, who dedicated his hopeful win to practically every deceased person in the village. He went on for about five minutes, dedicating.
Then, there was this ginger-haired rural bumpkin in tweed, looked a bit like Brendan Gleeson if stuck in the mud for a week, whose "family and friends in the audience" (every guest/contestants has their family members who consist of the audience, usually with huge celebratory banners with the likes of "Go on, PJ!" on them) included a grey bloke in tweed with a gigantic fedora with a peacock feather sticking out of it on top of his head.
Watching Challenge you get them. Mark Gatiss once said on twitter, that is something actually poignant about watching repeats of gameshows. You get on something like 3-2-1, a young idle couple in their twenties, the wife looks like Dorka Nieradzik, the husband like Joe 90, and you wonder are they still married, divorced, widowed, etc?

User avatar
David Boothroyd
625 lines
Posts: 276
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:26 pm

Re: Memorable non-celebrity gameshow contestants

Post by David Boothroyd »

Lots of them on Fifteen-to-One. Bill McKaig, Matti Watton, Anthony Martin etc etc.

Daphne Fowler no longer counts because she went on Eggheads.

JWG
D-MAC
Posts: 996
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:08 am

Re: Memorable non-celebrity gameshow contestants

Post by JWG »


Billy
405 lines
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:20 pm

Re: Memorable non-celebrity gameshow contestants

Post by Billy »

Gameshows were essentially ruined forever for me when I realised that lots of the contestants you see have been on about ten other gameshows prior to the one you're currently watching - usually the wackiest of extroverts. Even the supposedly dotty old ladies who get the rules wrong and generally amuse the host/audience greatly, some know exactly what they're doing and are just playing a role. Back in the early days of Deal or No Deal I talked to one of them online and was somewhat disallusioned as they talked seriously about their 30 year gameshow career and I realised that they were much more savvy and wiser than they seemed on TV.

Saying that you do get some genuine amusing characters sometimes, here's some of my favourite clips:

* This mega-obsessive American Price is Right contestant from 2001 who's clearly having the greatest day of his life: [reluctantly edited - admin]

* 'Raymond' on American Wheel of Fortune in about 1993/94. [reluctantly edited - admin]

* And the 1989 Norwegian winner of Going for Gold, about a minute into https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Bw23_xaWts .

Please remember that YouTube clips must be on an official channel/uploaded by the copyright owner for the link to be acceptable on the Mausoleum Club.

JezR
625 lines
Posts: 260
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:08 am

Re: Memorable non-celebrity gameshow contestants

Post by JezR »

American networks in their heyday used to limit multiple entries by requiring applicants not to have been on a gameshow for a period, typically the previous 5 years.

GarethR
HD
Posts: 1160
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:18 pm

Re: Memorable non-celebrity gameshow contestants

Post by GarethR »

Billy wrote:Gameshows were essentially ruined forever for me when I realised that lots of the contestants you see have been on about ten other gameshows prior to the one you're currently watching
Come off it, it's nowhere near as many as you're making out. The vast majority of game show contestants will never have been on TV before. If you look through an entire series of any given show you'll be able to spot the occasional game show regular, but so what? It's not like they're loading the contestant panels of every edition of every show.

manticore
405 lines
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:57 pm

Re: Memorable non-celebrity gameshow contestants

Post by manticore »

my favourite was a fatish forigen woman(polish maybe)on the generation game when it came back in the early 90s.she spent just about the whole time laughing her head off leaving brucie to give one of those looks to the audience(several looks I guess)it was hilairious.

User avatar
Ross
D-MAC
Posts: 648
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:06 am

Re: Memorable non-celebrity gameshow contestants

Post by Ross »

I remember an Irish woman on Blankety Blank back in the days of Terry Wogan. She lost her round, but when Terry was about to announce her consolation prize she said firmly, "Not a Blankety Blank cheque book and pen. I want the washing machine because I've only got an old twin tub."

They actually used the clip as part of the "This evening on BBC1" trailer even though it gave away in advance the fact that she'd lost.

As a kid watching I thought she was serious, but I suspect she just had a very dry sense of humour.

User avatar
Simon Coward
D-MAC
Posts: 920
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:56 pm

Re: Memorable non-celebrity gameshow contestants

Post by Simon Coward »

Monica Rose was a contestant on Double Your Money before she became a hostess on that programme and, later, The Sky's The Limit.
We all have to eat a peck of dirt before we die.

JWG
D-MAC
Posts: 996
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:08 am

Re: Memorable non-celebrity gameshow contestants

Post by JWG »

(Major) Charles Ingram from Who Wants to be a Millionaire?

User avatar
Simon36
HD
Posts: 1111
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:43 am

Re: Memorable non-celebrity gameshow contestants

Post by Simon36 »

A young Simon Cowell on Sale of the Century is one of the weirdest things imaginable. But it did happen.

User avatar
Simon36
HD
Posts: 1111
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:43 am

Re: Memorable non-celebrity gameshow contestants

Post by Simon36 »

I remember on The Price is Right back in its Leslie Crowther era, a young black guy going absolutely BERSERK when he got called out of the audience. He was completely bonkers and gave crazy estimates at all the prizes but I'm pretty sure ended up winning. A clip of him made it onto a clip show shortly afterwards. He was great.

Of course the Turkey man from Family Fortunes was a legend, though the best part of that for me was the shot of his family's reaction after he screwed up the Big Money game.

3-2-1 threw up a few good 'uns. The "Handl's Water Music" woman, and also one lady who disappeared during a commercial break due to feeling ill and never came back leaving hubby and Ted to finish the show.

Brock
HD
Posts: 1606
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:13 am

Re: Memorable non-celebrity gameshow contestants

Post by Brock »

Simon36 wrote: Of course the Turkey man from Family Fortunes was a legend, though the best part of that for me was the shot of his family's reaction after he screwed up the Big Money game.
Bob Johnson. I think he was also the one who answered "Disraeli" in the infamous "Name a famous Irishman" round.

ChartUpdate
405 lines
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:45 am

Re: Memorable non-celebrity gameshow contestants

Post by ChartUpdate »

Whilst I've never seen any verifiable proof that the episode ever existed or was broadcast (although the source is impeccable), Bob Monkhouse's first autobiography recounts the tale of a Family Fortunes edition featuring the unfortunately named Thicke family who regrettably lived up to their name.

The matriarch of the family was required to answer the question "name something that is abandoned in winter" and hit the buzzer with enthusiasm and when asked to give her answer proudly stated "Me cousin Aggie". The audience dissolved into gales of laughter, prompting the woman to round on them angrily with hands on hips and shout "sure and it isn't funny, her with five kids and Christmas on the way..."

Mike S
D-MAC
Posts: 725
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:05 pm

Re: Memorable non-celebrity gameshow contestants

Post by Mike S »

Does anyone else recall the (much-hyped) debut UK edition of The Price Is Right? I was only ten, but I recall the show was dominated by a hyperactive/extrovert woman who inevitably became the winner. It only sticks in the memory beacuse this was very ususual behaviour on a British game show, where inaudible nervousness was normally the order of the day, so I suspected (or rather my dad did) that she had been something of a plant. Or at least a 'character' who had been fast-tracked through the auditions.

Anyone else remember her?

Brock
HD
Posts: 1606
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:13 am

Re: Memorable non-celebrity gameshow contestants

Post by Brock »

ChartUpdate wrote:Whilst I've never seen any verifiable proof that the episode ever existed or was broadcast (although the source is impeccable), Bob Monkhouse's first autobiography recounts the tale of a Family Fortunes edition featuring the unfortunately named Thicke family who regrettably lived up to their name.
As also mentioned on the ever-reliable UK Game Shows site:
UK Game Shows wrote:Bob Monkhouse and the rather aptly named 'Thicke Family' in 1980:
(GAME BEGINS)
Bob: "Name something blue..."
Family Member 1 (Liam): "Sky"
Bob: "Top answer!, play or pass?"
Family Member 2 (Liam's Mother): We'll play!
Bob: "Name something blue..."
Family Member 2: "We've already answered that one!"
(PAUSE) Bob explains the rules of the game.
Bob: "Name something blue..."
Family Member 2: "My cardigan"
Bob: (looking gobsmacked) "Let's see if it's up there!"
(UH UHH!)

Mike S
D-MAC
Posts: 725
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:05 pm

Re: Memorable non-celebrity gameshow contestants

Post by Mike S »

My favourite Family Fortunes answer was this:

'Name something considerate a husband might do for his wife.'
'Um...teach her to drive?'

User avatar
Simon Coward
D-MAC
Posts: 920
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:56 pm

Re: Memorable non-celebrity gameshow contestants

Post by Simon Coward »

Brock wrote:
ChartUpdate wrote:Whilst I've never seen any verifiable proof that the episode ever existed or was broadcast (although the source is impeccable), Bob Monkhouse's first autobiography recounts the tale of a Family Fortunes edition featuring the unfortunately named Thicke family who regrettably lived up to their name.
As also mentioned on the ever-reliable UK Game Shows site:
UK Game Shows wrote:Bob Monkhouse and the rather aptly named 'Thicke Family' in 1980:
(GAME BEGINS)
Bob: "Name something blue..."
Family Member 1 (Liam): "Sky"
Bob: "Top answer!, play or pass?"
Family Member 2 (Liam's Mother): We'll play!
Bob: "Name something blue..."
Family Member 2: "We've already answered that one!"
(PAUSE) Bob explains the rules of the game.
Bob: "Name something blue..."
Family Member 2: "My cardigan"
Bob: (looking gobsmacked) "Let's see if it's up there!"
(UH UHH!)
Mainly courtesy of Bob's video collection, Kaleidoscope now looks after copies of all but three of the FF editions in the 1980 series... no sign of the Thicke family so far...
We all have to eat a peck of dirt before we die.

Brock
HD
Posts: 1606
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:13 am

Re: Memorable non-celebrity gameshow contestants

Post by Brock »

Hmm, could UKGS have been taken in for once then? From "Monkhouser" on http://www.atvland.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2721:

"Original host Bob Monkhouse revealed on An Audience with Bob Monkhouse that when he was hosting the show there was a family that was called The Thicke Family..."

It could all have been an elaborate gag, although he might also have been talking about an actual episode and changed the name to avoid embarrassment.

GarethR
HD
Posts: 1160
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:18 pm

Re: Memorable non-celebrity gameshow contestants

Post by GarethR »

Brock wrote:although he might also have been talking about an actual episode and changed the name to avoid embarrassment.
Fairly pointless to worry about embarrassment if the programme was real and was actually broadcast, especially back in those days when it would have attracted a much bigger audience than nowadays.

User avatar
Paul Hayes
625 lines
Posts: 423
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:01 pm
Location: Norwich
Contact:

Re: Memorable non-celebrity gameshow contestants

Post by Paul Hayes »

Darren Shacklady on Countdown in the 1990s - purely because of the name, I am afraid, which stuck with me as a child.

JWG
D-MAC
Posts: 996
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:08 am

Re: Memorable non-celebrity gameshow contestants

Post by JWG »

Brock wrote:Hmm, could UKGS have been taken in for once then? From "Monkhouser" on http://www.atvland.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2721:

"Original host Bob Monkhouse revealed on An Audience with Bob Monkhouse that when he was hosting the show there was a family that was called The Thicke Family..."

It could all have been an elaborate gag, although he might also have been talking about an actual episode and changed the name to avoid embarrassment.

It's a proud enough name: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0179553/?ref_=nm_ov_bio_lk2

Billy
405 lines
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:20 pm

Re: Memorable non-celebrity gameshow contestants

Post by Billy »

The Les Dennis version of the story was a family called the Dicks, cue jokes about being the "head" of the family etc. Not sure if that genuinely happened either.

JezR
625 lines
Posts: 260
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:08 am

Re: Memorable non-celebrity gameshow contestants

Post by JezR »

Simon Coward wrote:Monica Rose was a contestant on Double Your Money before she became a hostess on that programme and, later, The Sky's The Limit.
I used to get my shopping checked out by Monica sometimes when she was working in Asda in the 1980s.

Mike S
D-MAC
Posts: 725
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:05 pm

Re: Memorable non-celebrity gameshow contestants

Post by Mike S »

The 'My cardigan?' answer has become such a regurgitated piece of stand-up comedian folklore. I strongly suspect it never happened. Rather conveniently, it's never turned up in either Challenge repeats or, it seems, Bob's full VHS tapes.

Some kind soul may volunteer to go through the PasB sheets, but until then...

GarethR
HD
Posts: 1160
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:18 pm

Re: Memorable non-celebrity gameshow contestants

Post by GarethR »

I know that I've actually seen a FF contestant give the answer "my [something]", but it wasn't a Monkhouse edition. Possibly Les Dennis era.

User avatar
Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC
Posts: 968
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:42 am
Location: Hither Green, London
Contact:

Re: Memorable non-celebrity gameshow contestants

Post by Nick Cooper 625 »

Ross wrote:I remember an Irish woman on Blankety Blank back in the days of Terry Wogan. She lost her round, but when Terry was about to announce her consolation prize she said firmly, "Not a Blankety Blank cheque book and pen. I want the washing machine because I've only got an old twin tub."

They actually used the clip as part of the "This evening on BBC1" trailer even though it gave away in advance the fact that she'd lost.

As a kid watching I thought she was serious, but I suspect she just had a very dry sense of humour.
Might actually have been true, as twin-tubs were still fairly prevalent, and unlike these days, back then people worked their appliances until the died (either the machines, or the owners!).
"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo." [Wells]

User avatar
Ross
D-MAC
Posts: 648
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:06 am

Re: Memorable non-celebrity gameshow contestants

Post by Ross »

Mike S wrote:The 'My cardigan?' answer has become such a regurgitated piece of stand-up comedian folklore. I strongly suspect it never happened. Rather conveniently, it's never turned up in either Challenge repeats or, it seems, Bob's full VHS tapes.
And tellingly, no one ever remembers seeing it.

celticguy
405 lines
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:35 pm

Re: Memorable non-celebrity gameshow contestants

Post by celticguy »

Another Family Fortunes from the Monkhouse era was a special edition with the Marquis of Bath's family versus the Marquis of Beaulieu clan which apparently prompted this memorable exchange -

Monkhouse: Name a bird you might see everyday in your garden.
Marquis of Bath: Peacock!

Billy
405 lines
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:20 pm

Re: Memorable non-celebrity gameshow contestants

Post by Billy »

I've mentioned before that I was absolutely astonished about a decade ago to actually learn - and see - that the infamous snooker "For those of you watching in black and white, the blue ball's next to the green" commentary genuinely happened, they used a clip on a Denis Norden show. For years I assumed, like perhaps a lot of these Family Fortunes supposed moments, that it was just a silly joke that people pretended had actually been said.

Les Dennis had a whole comedy routine of "bad Family Fortunes answers" and I'm more and more convinced he just made lots of them up, or at least bended the truth a little.

Post Reply