Live Aid BBC Coverage

What's not currently on the box
Mike S
D-MAC

Re: Live Aid BBC Coverage

Post by Mike S »

I'm often dismayed by the font size (and generous gaps between lines) in autobiographies. I'm sure we've both been there with Jo Brand's memoirs.

Liz Kershaw's brought one out, I see. Part of me tentatively thinks 'Hm, possibly worth a read'; the more realistic part thinks 'Don't bother'.

Anyway, currently curled up with Viv Albertine's doorstop...

bent_halo
Committee

Post by bent_halo »

I learnt my lesson with massive pop culture books when I waded through Paul Morley's The North while on holiday. Such a complete and total waste of the gift of eyes. I almost threw it in to the sea.

Looking forward to Viv. Isn't she on Radcliffe & Maconie this week?

Mike S
D-MAC

Post by Mike S »

She is indeed - next Thursday, folks.

If anybody needs a quick emetic, a skimming of the chapter where she fellates Johnny Rotten will work wonders.

manticore
405 lines

Post by manticore »

SgtPepper wrote:
Mike S wrote:You're right, it wasn't really a pompous departure - Collins is often more self-aware/deprecating than he's given credit for. But Kershaw's line did seem to undercut the solemnity of the event quite amusingly.
There was an interview with Andy Kershaw fairly recently (I think in the last couple of years but they seem to blend into one as you get older :-) ) where he was reminiscing about the Live Aid interviews and he said how embarrassed he was to have to interview the likes of Quo and Collins who he considered to be musical dross of the worst kind.
bit of a cheek considering all that African crap he's into.

ctraynor
D-MAC

Post by ctraynor »

I believe Alan Partridge thought that as well.

DuncanS
405 lines

Post by DuncanS »

Simon36 wrote: That was in the second part of the BBC documentary Live Aid: Against All Odds and Rockin' All Over the World. Very good it was too.
Are those the ones where rather oddly Annabel Giles keeps on slagging off Geldof for having stolen all of the ideas (and better performing slot) from Midge Ure?

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

DuncanS wrote:
Simon36 wrote: That was in the second part of the BBC documentary Live Aid: Against All Odds and Rockin' All Over the World. Very good it was too.
Are those the ones where rather oddly Annabel Giles keeps on slagging off Geldof for having stolen all of the ideas (and better performing slot) from Midge Ure?
I love Annabel Giles. Yes, she is very protective of Midge and IIRC confirms that Geldof himself swapped Ultravox and the Boomtown Rats around in the running order so that TBR got to play in front of Charles and Diana, something which it seems Ure was unaware of...

ctraynor
D-MAC

Post by ctraynor »

From the stories, not least from Midge Ure and his wife, it does sound as though he has a justifiable grievance re recognition for his part in organising Band Aid and Live Aid. It's the way the cookie often crumbles when you've got a forceful personality like Bob Geldof who fronts things. That's not to detract from Geldof's achievements either.