Killer Waiting

What's not currently on the box
Simon36
HD

Killer Waiting

Post by Simon36 »

I dug out my old VHS of KILLER WAITING last night to transfer it to DVD, and what a treat to watch it again. It was the first of three YTV plays by Eric Wendell (the other two being Killer Exposed and Killer Contract) shown on Friday nights at 9pm in 1984 (and released on DVD in the US a few years back as Killer Trilogy apparently). This was easily the best, but I'd forgotten just how powerful it is, dark and very bleak, and although everything risks going over the top at the end, the concept is so upsetting that for me it works.

The music is brilliant (I'd love to know what synth was used for it!) and it's very well directed by Michael Ferguson. YTV was a bustling little place in the early 80s it seems, they did do a lot of good stuff, what with Lawrence Gordon Clark on the strength, Pygmalion, Romance on the Orient Express etc.

Anyone else a fan of this largely forgotten little gem?

(PS Halliwell's Television Guide HATED it).

MDK
405 lines

Re: Killer Waiting

Post by MDK »

This trilogy had passed me by, so thanks for the heads up - I've ordered my Region 1 copy.

jno
405 lines

Post by jno »

Gets my vote - I have the region 1 DVD (I had 2 of the VHS previously) - all great stuff and well worth a watch !

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

I can't remember a thing about Killer Contract except that one of the papers said it was the best of the three, and I found it deadly dull. (I was only a kid though and so the intensity of Killer Waiting was more up my street). Killer Exposed starred Anthony Valentine, and I can remember the gist of it I think was a photographer who becomes obsessed with a woman who juggles him with lots of other lovers. Killer Waiting is super though, you won't be disappointed I'm sure. Be interested to hear more about the other two...

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

Just bumping this one up now that Network's release of all three plays is here. Be interested to see what other people make of them.

http://networkonair.com/shop/2223-kille ... 34649.html

I was actually in correspondence last year with the chap who did the score for Killer Waiting: fascinatingly, he used wild sound from an abattoir for percussion effects.

Very much looking forward to seeing the other two again as my memories of them are very faint.