Old TV Listings

What's not currently on the box
nathanielmetcalfe
405 lines

Old TV Listings

Post by nathanielmetcalfe »

Does anyone know of a good online resource for old TV listings?

Thanks,
Nat

bent_halo
Committee

Re: Old TV Listings

Post by bent_halo »

Guardian and Times archive tend to be available from your local library if you ask about online services. Other titles are available but those are the most common.

nathanielmetcalfe
405 lines

Post by nathanielmetcalfe »

Thank you.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

On this topic, does anyone know when the digitized Radio Times archive (the BBC Genome project) is likely to become available to the general public? It's still only available to BBC staff as far as I know:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20625884

Quote: "The BBC Genome database will initially be restricted to the corporation's staff, but the project team said if all goes well it could be accessible to the public online by the end of 2013." I've heard nothing about it since that article in December 2012.

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

Depending on your library, you may well be able to access the online services mentioned in Bent Halo's post via any PC / tablet / smart phone - you wouldn't necessarily have to visit the library in order to do your research.

The act of joining the library may require a personal visit, though. I know that Westminster Library does, but Birmingham and Manchester don't.

Which reminds me... do any of the public libraries subscribe to the Daily Mail's archive?
We all have to eat a peck of dirt before we die.

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Post by Nick Cooper 625 »

Simon Coward wrote:Depending on your library, you may well be able to access the online services mentioned in Bent Halo's post via any PC / tablet / smart phone - you wouldn't necessarily have to visit the library in order to do your research.

The act of joining the library may require a personal visit, though. I know that Westminster Library does, but Birmingham and Manchester don't.
Not forgetting that you don't have to live in Westminster (I wish!) to be able to join.
Which reminds me... do any of the public libraries subscribe to the Daily Mail's archive?
A good point. That and the Telegraph are notable gaps at Westminster.
"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo." [Wells]

bent_halo
Committee

Post by bent_halo »

The British Library St Pancras has the Mail as well as The Listener. It's bizarre that the Telegraph still haven't digitised but they're all on microfilm in the spanking new Newsroom.

John Williams
Committee

Post by John Williams »

Public library take up of the Daily Mail Historical Archive in the UK is non-existent as far as I can tell. A handful of academic libraries have it, but not that many. Sadly, access to the Sunday Times archive, which was available in a few public libraries has also dwindled alarmingly - Enfield and Buckinghamshire have both dropped it.

I imagine public libraries work to an annual renewal cycle, so it's possible the Daily Mail archive may still show up in a few places. Westminster seems the most likely.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Brock wrote:On this topic, does anyone know when the digitized Radio Times archive (the BBC Genome project) is likely to become available to the general public? It's still only available to BBC staff as far as I know:

Quote: "The BBC Genome database will initially be restricted to the corporation's staff, but the project team said if all goes well it could be accessible to the public online by the end of 2013." I've heard nothing about it since that article in December 2012.
Since everyone has ignored my post, I assume the answer is "no"?

The BBC made a big thing of the Genome project when it was launched but I've heard nothing about it since then. Has there been some internal problem?

David Boothroyd
625 lines

Post by David Boothroyd »

John Williams wrote:Public library take up of the Daily Mail Historical Archive in the UK is non-existent as far as I can tell. A handful of academic libraries have it, but not that many. Sadly, access to the Sunday Times archive, which was available in a few public libraries has also dwindled alarmingly - Enfield and Buckinghamshire have both dropped it.
If you're in easy reach of London, it may be possible to get to the 'British Library of Political and Economic Science' (otherwise known as the LSE Library) which does subscribe to the Daily Mail Historical Archive. You can get an annual card as a member of the public although you have to persuade them you deserve it.
I imagine public libraries work to an annual renewal cycle, so it's possible the Daily Mail archive may still show up in a few places. Westminster seems the most likely.
I can inquire, if you like. (But needs to be careful just in case they start looking for subscriptions to cut in order to make up a savings target)

Gallunach
405 lines

Post by Gallunach »

Brock wrote:
Brock wrote:On this topic, does anyone know when the digitized Radio Times archive (the BBC Genome project) is likely to become available to the general public? It's still only available to BBC staff as far as I know:

Since everyone has ignored my post, I assume the answer is "no"?

The BBC made a big thing of the Genome project when it was launched but I've heard nothing about it since then. Has there been some internal problem?
Oddly a similar thread was plled up on DS today and somebody pointed to this tweet suggesting soon

https://twitter.com/darrenwaters/status ... 9714376705

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Gallunach wrote:
Brock wrote: The BBC made a big thing of the Genome project when it was launched but I've heard nothing about it since then. Has there been some internal problem?
Oddly a similar thread was plled up on DS today and somebody pointed to this tweet suggesting soon

Thanks. It seems like an eternity. Personally I can't wait...

John Williams
Committee

Post by John Williams »

David Boothroyd wrote:
John Williams wrote:Public library take up of the Daily Mail Historical Archive in the UK is non-existent as far as I can tell. A handful of academic libraries have it, but not that many. Sadly, access to the Sunday Times archive, which was available in a few public libraries has also dwindled alarmingly - Enfield and Buckinghamshire have both dropped it.
If you're in easy reach of London, it may be possible to get to the 'British Library of Political and Economic Science' (otherwise known as the LSE Library) which does subscribe to the Daily Mail Historical Archive. You can get an annual card as a member of the public although you have to persuade them you deserve it.
Thanks for that, useful to know, although when I'm in London I tend to use the British Library. Always nice to have a back-up option though.
I can inquire, if you like. (But needs to be careful just in case they start looking for subscriptions to cut in order to make up a savings target)
Probably best to let it lie and see what happens.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

David Boothroyd wrote:
I've got a copy of Chairman Mao's 'little red book'...

scoop
405 lines

Post by scoop »

The take-up of the Daily Mail archive is extremely disappointing.

Ought also mention that it's great if you're looking for particular articles, but less so if you need to look at whole pages (eg if you're doing a quantitative study). I did a week of research on the Mail from '65 to '10 - God help me - at the BL recently, and found that it was easier to use the microfilms on open access than the online archive.

David Boothroyd
625 lines

Post by David Boothroyd »

brigham wrote:
David Boothroyd wrote:
I've got a copy of Chairman Mao's 'little red book'...
Make sure you wear the right t-shirt.

The LSE library scores over the BL because you can take a memory stick and download PDF images of the pages on to it; the BL computers don't let you.

bent_halo
Committee

Post by bent_halo »

Useful for the Mail. You can scan books and magazines to usb at BL, but the digital services do have heavy restrictions.

Steve Williams
625 lines

Post by Steve Williams »

And, of course, if you're happy with missing pages and issues, Scottish listings and a crap search facility, the Glasgow Herald archive is completely free on Google News...
http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=GGgVawPscysC

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

Steve Williams wrote:crap search facility
Is putting it politely.

But it can be handy, particularly for odd days / weeks where The Times fails to list one or other of Scottish, Grampian, Border or Ulster and you're desperate.

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

Steve Williams wrote:And, of course, if you're happy with missing pages and issues, Scottish listings and a crap search facility, the Glasgow Herald archive is completely free on Google News...
http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=GGgVawPscysC
Thanks for that, had no idea about that but it's proving useful!

Left Field
405 lines

Post by Left Field »

Wolverhampton Libraries can be joined via online application and has online access to the Mirror / Express / Star archives which is useful for a more tabloid angle to research. It also has access to more recent editions of the national and some local papers. I would also high recommend Manchester Libraries for online access to the Guardian, Observer and Times Digital archives.

gmg
405 lines

Post by gmg »

Have tried to join the Wolverhampton Library to access the Mirror/ Star/ Express online archive but they tell me that only those from the local area are allowed to do so even though this wasn't mentioned at all on their website. Has anyone outside of the locality been able to join this library? I had no problem joining Birmingham Library btw (which allows online access to the Times and Guardian archive) in spite of being in the same situation.

neil jung
405 lines

Post by neil jung »

gmg wrote:Have tried to join the Wolverhampton Library to access the Mirror/ Star/ Express online archive but they tell me that only those from the local area are allowed to do so even though this wasn't mentioned at all on their website. Has anyone outside of the locality been able to join this library? I had no problem joining Birmingham Library btw (which allows online access to the Times and Guardian archive) in spite of being in the same situation.
Yes, I joined Wolverhampton online in 2011 and I'm a 100 miles away. They even sent me a library card and PIN.

Perhaps they've changed their policy after the cutbacks?

perov
405 lines

Post by perov »

I'm going back 20 years, but Birmingham Library used to have complete collections of TV Times and Radio Times going back to the 50's.
They were in year folders, and available to browse but on the premises only.

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

perov wrote:I'm going back 20 years, but Birmingham Library used to have complete collections of TV Times and Radio Times going back to the 50's.
They were in year folders, and available to browse but on the premises only.
Yes indeed, and they still do. Well, not completely complete, but substantial.

Compared to the old library it seems much harder to find a seat anywhere near them them, though - annoying if you're researching on your tod and you have to gather up all your valuables each time you go from your table to the alcove in which they're stored.

Birmingham Central Library also has bound copies of The Stage and Television Today which have also proved useful to me in the past, though I haven't consulted them since The Stage put its archive online, albeit behind a paywall. Of course the Stage's archive site will provide search results for nothing, just not access to the full articles, so it would be possible to look for references to a particular subject, note them down, and then research the detail in Brum for free. Not that access to the online archive is exactly expensive.

weirdbeard21
405 lines

Post by weirdbeard21 »

Brock wrote:
Gallunach wrote:
Brock wrote: The BBC made a big thing of the Genome project when it was launched but I've heard nothing about it since then. Has there been some internal problem?

Thanks. It seems like an eternity. Personally I can't wait...
Shouldn't be much longer now. Should be before the end of this month according to the official correspondence quoted at https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... e.pdf.html

Malcyb
405 lines

Post by Malcyb »

...and the good news is that it will be a free service available on the BBC Website.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

weirdbeard21 wrote: Shouldn't be much longer now. Should be before the end of this month according to the official correspondence quoted at https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... e.pdf.html
The phrasing is rather telling though: "We are in the final stages of testing this new user interface and the first version will be
made available publicly very soon, within a month we hope."

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

Regarding this bit: "As a result of the scanning process described above, there are lots of spelling mistakes and
punctuation errors and users will be invited to both edit the text to reflect what was
published in Radio Times (this will be subject to validation), as well as tell us additional
information about the programme (which wasn’t in Radio Times) or incidences of when
the schedule changed. "

Made me think of how Bob Monkhouse's annotations suddenly have a purpose!

But why are there spelling mistakes etc? I assumed this project was going to result in being able to view the actual pages, but does this instead mean that the original mags have been translated into straightforward text? If so very clever but I'd rather have a system that like digitised newspaper archives, simply lets you see the original pages.

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

The intention was only ever to make text of the listings available due to complex copyright issues. The magazines were photographically scanned and the images OCRd. Anyone who has seen old copies will know the ink/page contrast is not brilliant, and newsprint is not clean paper, with bits visible from recycled paper. I have also seen better scans, and this has added to the results, not that OCR is 100% accurate.

Annotations such as Bob's will not recognise well being handwritten, but the info would be there for transcription later. I did try to get interest in digitising the PasBs linked to Genome without any luck. Unfortunately neither the original or current teams fully understand what information they have, or a detailed knowledge of the magazine, hence the erroneous comments about mixed regions being scanned and large amounts of data missing.

There is always the chance that RT look to publish the full magazines as an archive in the future.