Theme tune/titles change and subsequent revision

What's not currently on the box
robinsmith
405 lines

Theme tune/titles change and subsequent revision

Post by robinsmith »

The 'Minder' threat threw up an intersting point about a change of theme tune. The show mentioned was 'Only Fools And Horses'.
Now, shoot me if you like, but I'm not the greatest fan of OFAH, but I was wondering, have subsequent showings, and DVD releases kept the original theme tune, or did the beeb return to the original shows and substitute the 'new' sung version?

Have any other shows changed their titles/theme tunes, and substituted the 'new' for old on subsequent showings and releases?

Any shows with notable changes to their opening?

I'm scratching my head, but I'm sure there are a few examples....

ozsat
625 lines

Re: Theme tune/titles change and subsequent revision

Post by ozsat »

The DVDs I have of OFAH have the original tune - and this is usually the version seen on Gold.

But most recent BBC series 1 screenings were shown with later theme tune - although there is a part of the original tune during one episode.

Mark C Bale
405 lines

Post by Mark C Bale »

Slightly off topic, I am still baffled as to why the full length theme tune for DAD'S ARMY was never used on the feature film - especially during the opening credits there should have been ample time to use the additional verse instead of the sound effects of marching heard during the credits.

Scary
625 lines

Post by Scary »

I'm pretty sure it's just episode 1 of OFAH that has the original theme tune, the BBC replaced it on the other episodes of series 1

GarethR
HD

Post by GarethR »

The Amazing Adventures of Morph had its Georgie Fame theme replaced by a dreary synth instrumental that never fitted the visuals as well as the original had. The new theme was added to all episodes, and the Fame one has never been heard since. Presumably it was some rights issue which led to the change, and it's notable that although Fame performed the full-length version of the theme on Blue Peter and said that it would be coming out as a single, it never appeared. I did send an email to Fame's agent asking if they could clarify anything about it, but I never got a response.

Can anyone with access to Infax check to see if the BBC still holds any Morph episodes with the original theme?

Cole
625 lines

Post by Cole »

The first series of Silent Witness had a different theme tune than the one that has remained ever since. This different theme also stayed intact for the DVD release. I can't say whether it is present on Alibi screenings.

This original theme got recycled as incidental music on the Christopher Lee MR James readings.

dprisoner
405 lines

Post by dprisoner »

Over here in the States, we have a classic TV channel called MeTV (Memorable Entertainment Television) and they just started showing I Dream of Jeanie on a nightly basis. I am pretty sure that when I was growing up watching the syndicated Jeanie that they all had the same opening with the well known theme tune. I finally managed to catch the MeTV broadcast last night (episode eight) and it had a long introduction to the series, followed by a bit from this episode and then the opening credits - which looked right, but with a completely different theme tune! Colo(u)r me shocked!!!

Now MeTV seems to be acquiring their source material as close to the original broadcast version (except for Star Trek). Even the handful of Twilight Zone episodes that were shot on video are sourced from VT and not the typical kinescopes prints. I've even noticed some sponsor credits embedded in the closing credits of Twilight Zone and The Dick van Dyke Show that I've never seen before.

Chris Berry
405 lines

Post by Chris Berry »

I Love Lucy is another US example of this -- the original titles had caricatures of Lucy and Desi and boxes of cigarettes (the show was sponsored by Phillip Morris). Those were later replaced with the heart shape on grey satin version that has been shown for I believe all the syndicated runs of the program.

Tilt Araiza
405 lines

Post by Tilt Araiza »

The US cable channel TV Land has run I Love Lucy with a modified set of original opening titles, the original sponsor's logo replaced with the channel's. I can find one of these variations on YouTube (with cartoon Lucy and Desi swinging on spotlights), but I'm sure I've seen a different set.

Peter Neill
625 lines

Post by Peter Neill »

Originally the theme song of "That's Life" was sung, live, by one of the show's resident singers a la TW3 It was quite a jazzy arrangement and I think that topical lyrics were written each week. When they dropped the singer, the brass band arrangement was adopted. Just hearing it now brings back memories of many Sundays wasted - sorry, spent working at TV Theatre.

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

Today of all days, dare I mention that JIM'LL FIX IT had a completely different theme originally.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

ian b wrote:Today of all days, dare I mention that JIM'LL FIX IT had a completely different theme originally.
For most of its run Jim'll Fix It had two separate themes, an opening one and a closing one. Was the original theme different from both?

Simon Mclean
405 lines

Post by Simon Mclean »

There was a different closing theme for the first couple of series - the 'Ba Ba Ba' one came later. The original one went 'If you've an ambition you want to achieve/Then we know a man who's so easy to please', performed by members of White Plains going incognito I believe.

GarethR
HD

Post by GarethR »

The original JFI theme, or at least the repeated "Jim'll, Jim'll Fix It!" refrain, is something that's always stuck in my head. I'd forgotten the visual content of the titles until I got sent a complete 1975 edition years ago, and looking at them now, they're a gift to anyone wanting to make Yewtree-related jokes.

On a same-show-different-theme tip, something that used to happen in the States was that if a series entered syndication while it was still producing new episodes, the syndicated episodes would be given a different theme and title in order to differentiate them. Typical examples would be CHiPs, which was retitled "CHiPs Patrol" for syndication, and The Rockford Files, which became "Jim Rockford, Private Investigator". After the series went out of production, the syndicated episodes reverted to the original titles.

Ant
405 lines

Post by Ant »

GarethR wrote:The Amazing Adventures of Morph had its Georgie Fame theme replaced by a dreary synth instrumental that never fitted the visuals as well as the original had. The new theme was added to all episodes, and the Fame one has never been heard since. Presumably it was some rights issue which led to the change, and it's notable that although Fame performed the full-length version of the theme on Blue Peter and said that it would be coming out as a single, it never appeared.
Wow - that has restored a long-forgotten-about memory. I always wondered what happened to the 'good' Morph theme, as a kid.

andrew baker
625 lines

Post by andrew baker »

Going back a long way The First Lady with Thora Hird had a rare and wonderful brass band theme specially composed by Malcolm Arnold that was replaced by a bland conventional theme in Series 2.