New Network website

What's not currently on the box
Juswuh
D-MAC

New Network website

Post by Juswuh »

I'm surprised there isn't yet a thread about Network's move to networkonair.com - the new site's open now. A few things could be tweaked, I think, but it looks good, and a whole bunch of new releases are officially scheduled. There's also the Edgar Wallace ep "Dead Man's Chest" available to watch online in full. (I would have picked "Change Partners" or "Strangler's Web" from Vol 7, myself...)

fatcat
D-MAC

Re: New Network website

Post by fatcat »

Thanks for that, as the old site just says its down for maintenance.

IMHO Not a very good advert for the Edgar Wallace series 'Dead Man's Chest' as is its probably one of the worst of the entire series , when Merton Park's money tank was running on vapour.

gallifreyan
405 lines

Post by gallifreyan »

Juswuh wrote:A few things could be tweaked, I think
I'll go with smaller cover images, back to gallery format, list default to "A-Z", & change the white-on-orange price blob....

Juswuh
D-MAC

Post by Juswuh »

fatcat wrote: IMHO Not a very good advert for the Edgar Wallace series 'Dead Man's Chest' as is its probably one of the worst of the entire series , when Merton Park's money tank was running on vapour.
Chosen perhaps because John Thaw's in it? Though they could have picked "Five To One", which is one of the series' very best.

Tim D
405 lines

Post by Tim D »

I quite like the new layout. Interesting to see Network are planning to go down the on-demand route too following all those customer surveys. I really believe that in the next two to three years there will be a lot more archive material available to view and buy to keep online, especially with the average viewer catching on to using services like Netflix and iTunes. I look forward to seeing how Network's new website and business plan evolves over the next few years.

Juswuh
D-MAC

Post by Juswuh »

I found there's a Scotland Yard episode, "The Grand Junction Case", posted on the site as well. Out on Monday.

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Juswuh wrote:I found there's a Scotland Yard episode, "The Grand Junction Case", posted on the site as well. Out on Monday.

Network spoils us sometimes eh?

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Oh lor'! It's even more cumbersome than the old site!

robinsmith
405 lines

Post by robinsmith »

Well, I'm getting no joy from it.

I went to the title page, it seemed to half load, then it disappeared and was replaced by a very small orange line going horizontally over the screen, while a large number counts up the percentage 'loaded', then, nothing...

David Buck
405 lines

Post by David Buck »

I get the home page but it cuts of half way through the shopping cart button on the top so it's missing about a quarter of the screen, cant' see any back product listings - presumably buttons on the left hand side I can't see?

google chrome & mozilla firefox both affected - I've never seen the problem on any other sites.

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

David Buck wrote:I get the home page but it cuts of half way through the shopping cart button on the top so it's missing about a quarter of the screen, cant' see any back product listings - presumably buttons on the left hand side I can't see?

google chrome & mozilla firefox both affected - I've never seen the problem on any other sites.
It's fine for me using both of those browsers. That's not to say there aren't a few clunky aspects to the UI at the moment, but it works OK.

Access to the back product listings is via a horizontal menu near the top of the page - just below the 'Quick Search' box which in turn is just below the very top line with links for 'Home', 'Company' , 'Log-In', 'Basket' etc.
We all have to eat a peck of dirt before we die.

Richard Martin
405 lines

Post by Richard Martin »

Anybody using an ipad? I am having a pretty horrible time on the new site, takes forever to load (and sometimes doesn't). Functionality feels clunky and limited when it does. More importantly I couldn't get the video streaming happening at all, and accessing this via an ipad would be pretty crucial were I to actually use the service.

Not meaning to be a stick-in-the-mud but the simplicity of the old site made it very easy for me to order DVDs from Network. I understand it is early days but the new site feels like it makes it harder for customers to access their core business.

Juswuh
D-MAC

Post by Juswuh »

Tried it with a Kindle Fire HD, and it loads quickly enough but part of the right-hand edge is blank, as I think someone else has found. Also not having Flash support means you can't watch the previews. There is a note saying it's not mobile-compatible yet and they're working on it.

gallifreyan
405 lines

Post by gallifreyan »

Richard Martin wrote:Not meaning to be a stick-in-the-mud but the simplicity of the old site made it very easy for me to order DVDs from Network.
If it ain't broke....
Richard Martin wrote: I understand it is early days but the new site feels like it makes it harder for customers to access their core business.
Early days isn't that much of an excuse tho really. It should've been super-spiffy from the moment it went live. Or at least had sensible size thumbnails (the clue is in the name I think)

penfold
625 lines

Post by penfold »

I am missing the "Forthcoming Releases" page and the ability to see swathes of product at a glance......but the graphic design is very swish. Perhaps some tweaking could make it more user friendly....

MDK
405 lines

Post by MDK »

On the downside I note that most of the previously deleted, limited availability "Web exclusives" have reappeared in the shop at lower prices than we paid a year or so back - I'll be taking their limited availability claim with a pinch of salt in future.

gallifreyan
405 lines

Post by gallifreyan »

penfold wrote:I am missing the "Forthcoming Releases" page
Forthcoming is the "In the Air" section at the bottom of the home page, although..
penfold wrote:and the ability to see swathes of product at a glance.
You don't get to do that as it only seems to show 4 items to a titchy frame, I know you click the dots below, but it's far too scrollscrollscrollscroll, clickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickv at the mo.

Bet we're stuck with it like that too.

robinsmith
405 lines

Post by robinsmith »

Well, I can't buy anything while it's buggered. I don't see why the consumer has to bugger about with settings/servers and all that jargon to use a website...but then i am still in the dark ages..

lovecraft
625 lines

Post by lovecraft »

So are we likely to get a batch of new release announcements soon.....seen as it is a new year and all....?

Chris Orton
405 lines

Post by Chris Orton »

Can anybody point me to a list of all forthcoming releases please? They used to be easy to find when they were all on one page.

Also, it'd be good if prices for forthcoming releases were listed again.

Whilst I like the look of the new site it seems bizarre in this day and age not to have considered all types of devices on which websites are viewed.

Juswuh
D-MAC

Post by Juswuh »

At the bottom of the main page you can see what's scheduled week by week from now through till March.

Ross
D-MAC

Post by Ross »

Chris Orton wrote:Also, it'd be good if prices for forthcoming releases were listed again.
It's a very bad idea not to include them. If I know a DVD is going to be cheaper or the equivalent of other online stores, then I'll wait until the Monday and buy from Network. But if there's no price I'll just pre-order elsewhere. And by the time Network announce the price it'll be too late to cancel.

Chris Orton
405 lines

Post by Chris Orton »

Juswuh wrote:At the bottom of the main page you can see what's scheduled week by week from now through till March.
I can see that, but would like to be able to see a list of all upcoming releases on one page. Makes it easier for me to keep track of things.

And as Ross says, it is a good idea to know forthcoming prices so that people know whether or not they want to buy from Network.

Juswuh
D-MAC

Post by Juswuh »

I quite agree about the prices, though you can usually be sure that new releases are cheaper direct.

Tilt Araiza
405 lines

Post by Tilt Araiza »

It's not everything on one page, but there's a list of forthcoming releases on this page http://networkonair.com/features/ You'll have to keep clicking "Previous page" see everything, but it's a little less diffuse than on the front page.

Richard Martin
405 lines

Post by Richard Martin »

Chris Orton wrote:Whilst I like the look of the new site it seems bizarre in this day and age not to have considered all types of devices on which websites are viewed.
Couldn't agree more.

penfold
625 lines

Post by penfold »

Tilt Araiza wrote:It's not everything on one page, but there's a list of forthcoming releases on this page http://networkonair.com/features/ You'll have to keep clicking "Previous page" see everything, but it's a little less diffuse than on the front page.
Thanks for that. Though now I've seen it, my bank manager will wish I hadn't......

Chris Orton
405 lines

Post by Chris Orton »

Tilt Araiza wrote:It's not everything on one page, but there's a list of forthcoming releases on this page http://networkonair.com/features/ You'll have to keep clicking "Previous page" see everything, but it's a little less diffuse than on the front page.
That's more like it — thanks!

Michael
625 lines

Post by Michael »

Is it just me or is anyone else having problems viewing the new site? The URL I'm using is www.networkonair.com.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Fraud Squad! Wow! I didn't expect to see that again!