TV on TV

What's not currently on the box
Brock
HD

Re: TV on TV

Post by Brock »

Mark wrote:
boblet wrote:
Mark wrote:Can't think of any ITV shows featuring BBC clips, they were so expensive,
I'm pretty sure The Royle Family was a BBC show which used ITV clips - bear in mind it was made for the BBC by Granada...
Yes, could get confusing couldn't it, never seen that show though, good one!
My recollection is that we only ever saw the Royles watching BBC shows. Could be wrong though.

Steve Williams
625 lines

Post by Steve Williams »

Brock wrote:My recollection is that we only ever saw the Royles watching BBC shows. Could be wrong though.
No, there's an episode of the second seies that's devoted almost entirely to them watching Who Wants To Be A Millionaire. I think it was a specially made episode, in fact, and Celador were thanked in the credits.

Left Field
405 lines

Post by Left Field »

Not quite BBC on an ITV show but in an episode of Not on Your Nellie - "Feeling the Draught" - Nellie Pickersgill and her father are reduced to poverty and have to turn to rag and boning, a version of the Steptoe and Son theme tune is heard as they fruitlessly roam the streets.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Two other occasions for the "Steptoe" theme were the "Who" serial, "Attack Of The Cybermen", and the film "Carry On Screaming".

Another for the TV viewing, in the Gerry Anderson series, "Lavender Castle", several characters are watching a scene from Gerry Anderson's "Dick Spanner".
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Brian F
625 lines

Post by Brian F »

Mark wrote:Two other occasions for the "Steptoe" theme were the "Who" serial, "Attack Of The Cybermen", and the film "Carry On Screaming".
I think the Carry on Screaming one was very close to but not quite Steptoe (enough not to pay perhaps??) and the Z Cars theme also appeared in the same way in the same film.

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Post by Nick Cooper 625 »

Brian F wrote:
Mark wrote:Two other occasions for the "Steptoe" theme were the "Who" serial, "Attack Of The Cybermen", and the film "Carry On Screaming".
I think the Carry on Screaming one was very close to but not quite Steptoe (enough not to pay perhaps??) and the Z Cars theme also appeared in the same way in the same film.
Yes, surely the first was just an jokey reference to Harry H being in Screaming?
"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo." [Wells]

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Nick Cooper 625 wrote:
Brian F wrote:
Yes, surely the first was just an jokey reference to Harry H being in Screaming?
It was, yes, when he turns up on the back of a cart, having been monsterfied!

Left Field
405 lines

Post by Left Field »

In the Angels episode "Weekend", two characters at different times are watching TV and we can hear two programmes being introduced and the opening bars of their theme tunes - Doctor Who and Film 76.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

What was the title of that plodding dirge used for the theme music on Film 70-whatever? The one that reminded me of boarded-up cinemas, and arty-types pretending that 'Film' was still mainstream. It can't have been written like that, surely? The conductor must've read the tempo wrong!

The Lurker In The Shadows
405 lines

Post by The Lurker In The Shadows »

Going from memory, I think we heard the theme to 'Doctor Who' in an episode of the Bryan Murphy sitcom 'L for Lester'. Someone interrupts Murphy's viewing and switches off the television, only for Murphy to switch it back on and complain that 'K9 zapped a Thur' and he missed it.

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

Ah, it's this I was thinking if then, I mentioned this menory earlier and thought it was from Cowboys. I remember they played the Peter Howell record and it had sounds if a laser gun battle over it. As usual television being dreadful at imitating itself!

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

brigham wrote:What was the title of that plodding dirge used for the theme music on Film 70-whatever? The one that reminded me of boarded-up cinemas, and arty-types pretending that 'Film' was still mainstream. It can't have been written like that, surely? The conductor must've read the tempo wrong!
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Wish_I ... to_Be_Free

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

"Doctor Who", certainly seems to be top of the list of viewed TV on TV, Audrey mentions Grandad watching it in an episode of "The Likely Lads".

Another one for "Heartbeat", in yesterday's repeat episode, two characters are watching "Thunderbirds", no picture, just incidental music, obviously dubbed on from the CD, with the two men watching an inactive TV.

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

In the second episode of Yorkshire Television's Justice there's a brief glimpse of a TV showing what looks to be the "The Wettest Day of the Year" episode of the YTV sitcom On The House (based on identifiable actors Kenneth Connor, Tommy Godfrey, Derek Griffiths and Patrick Newell).
We all have to eat a peck of dirt before we die.

murphy1961
405 lines

Post by murphy1961 »

Mark wrote: In "Keeping Up Appearances", however, when Onslo was watching TV he seemed to favour generic shows and films with no dialogue.
In Keeping Up Appearances, according to the book, "It's Bouquet - Not Bucket!", by Harold Snoad, the things (movies) that Onslow was watching on TV were actually shorts made by the production team to save on costs, they apparently weren't from any "real" TV show or movie. He (Snoad) was actually going to use real movies and such but the costs would've been prohibitive.

There's an episode of Till Death Us Do Part where the family (at least Alf and Else) are watching Bruce Forsyth on the TV, which I assume could be The Generation Game, and Alf refers to him "demeaning" himself from being in such a show. There's a brief clip of Bruce Forsyth on the Garnett's TV. However being from Australia I'm no authority on Bruce Forsyth and/or The Generation Game.

I think I read somewhere that it aired in the UK, but anyway the Australian series Mother & Son had an episode ("The Neighbour") where the mother and her neighbour were watching Sons & Daughters on the TV, you couldn't (or can't) actually see it but you can definitely hear the theme music and the characters refer to "Pat the Rat", a character from Sons & Daughters.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Yes, I remember one clip of a girl being persued in the woods, on Onslo's TV, definitely specially done.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Still on he subject of Benny Hill, I was watching the "World Of Sport" sketch, and on one of the monitors at the back of the set, there was an edition of Yorkshire TV's "Animal Kwackers" playing out!

I can only guess the sketch was recorded when it was being transmitted, there was another programme with some Chickens, by the look of it, this time it was a Thames show.

Focus II
625 lines

Post by Focus II »

Euston Films' virtually forgotten series, 'Shrinks', had an episode where the characters were watching an episode of, 'The Sweeney'.

We could hear the audio only, but the episode was immediately recognisable as being, 'Big Brother'.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Good spot.